GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone read books still?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just finished the second book of The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin and will be starting the third this evening. Really loving it so far.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
FINALLY finished Artemis (Andy Weir author of "The Martian").
I did not read The Martian, but I saw the movie and liked it which was why I was excited to read Artemis.

I couldn't wait for it to end...I just could not get into it.

That's how I feel right now about Glen Cook - The Black Company

Based on the great reviews, bought the 6 book set at one time...you know...Because you save 50¢ over buying them individually.

I'm on book 5 and can't wait to finish and just on principle of having paid for it, I won't stop reading them.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's how I feel right now about Glen Cook - The Black Company

Based on the great reviews, bought the 6 book set at one time...you know...Because you save 50¢ over buying them individually.

I'm on book 5 and can't wait to finish and just on principle of having paid for it, I won't stop reading them.

Yup. I tend to have a very completionist-type mentality. Once I start a series, I generally have to finish it.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I don't think I would have a problem stopping after one book of a multi-book series.
But a lot of what I want to read right now is a series, and all of the books are out.
What my problem is, is that I feel like if I were to start one of these series, I would have to read them all in one go and I dont't feel like I want to make that sort of commitment haha.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I often read the original books that have lead to a movie (assuming the book came first.) As expected, there is so much more nuance in the books than can't be stuffed into a movie. The books aren't "dumbed down" for a mass audience either. The hard part is getting the imagery of the movie out of your mind, and creating your own.

Here's a few:

* Clockwork Orange
* Contact
* Fight Club
* Starship Troopers (The tone of the book is MUCH different than the movie)
* 2001 (Yah - written in parallel with the movie, but it's a little different)
* The Martian (before the movie came out)
* Fahrenheit 451
* Ready Player One (Spielberg better not ruin this!!)

Don't bother with any Michael Crichton books though. They were pretty much written as a screenplay. There's nothing new or different.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
What my problem is, is that I feel like if I were to start one of these series, I would have to read them all in one go and I dont't feel like I want to make that sort of commitment haha.

I recently made this mistake. Read the first book, read a couple other randoms, then went back a few months later and started the second of the series. I had almost no memory of the characters or what was going on haha. Took about 20% of the book before I was back "in it."

* Ready Player One (Spielberg better not ruin this!!)

Couldn't agree more.

My wife is similar. She likes to read books that will eventually turn into a movie or TV series. I tend to do that for my military non-fiction (American Sniper, Lone Survivor, etc.). I'm bad at watching movies though, so I still haven't seen those haha.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered 8 books about submarine warfare in WW2....I need some new hobbies lol.

One hasn't been printed since the 70s though, excited for that one. Found a "new" copy for $181. No thanks.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I mainly read Hemmingway now. Currently on The Sun Also Rises. I used to read a lot of Tom Clancy. But I do read Military History mainly.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have entertained the idea of reading some of his work.
Any good ones you might suggest for a first time read...maybe a couple of his better books?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Finished up the Broken Earth trilogy and have moved on to The Killer Angles based on some recommendations from friends. I think it's technically part of a trilogy, but they recommended just this one, as it can stand on its own.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
FINALLY finished Artemis (Andy Weir author of "The Martian").
I did not read The Martian, but I saw the movie and liked it which was why I was excited to read Artemis.

I couldn't wait for it to end...I just could not get into it.
Now I'm looking for something else.
Any suggestions? I always have such a had time choosing what to read next.
I have a huge list and then go on GoodReads and try to figure out which one I really want to read but then I can never make up my mind!

I just finished Artemis as well. I thought is was predictable, but Weir did a good job of imagining what it would take to engineer a lunar colony city.

I'm usually more into crime novels. Sanford's Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers as the main characters. I'll also read Connelly's Harry Bosch series.

But I will read about anything. The wife and I have had Kindles since they were first invented. Before that the paperbacks piled up in the back room. The e-reader has saved a lot of space in our house.

She is a voracious reader and I pick up the best ones that she has downloaded.

Right now: The Woman in the Window