GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Exhaust Crackle Now Available!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
APR Exhaust Crackle is now available for MK7 Golf R / S3 platform 2.0 TSI vehicles!

* GTI Shown

Enhance your exhaust note just like Audi’s latest RS models! The APR Exhaust Crackle, lovingly called “pops and bangs” by many, adds a distinct crackle to the exhaust note upon lifting off the throttle, gear changes on a manual, decelerating, or while free revving at a stand standstill. This optional feature is available at no cost, at the time of flashing, for most compatible ECUs at stage 2 and higher stages. For convenience, the feature is only enabled when the vehicle is placed into sport mode or while free revving the engine. Lastly, for safety, this feature has built in hardware protection limits, and will only function when it’s considered safe to do so.

Other MQB Platform vehicles to follow.

GO APR!

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I got this tune update today and I'm very impressed. Sounds great when activated, sporty but not obnoxious at all. I have catted DP and stock cat back though. Would be louder with decat and cat back or resonator delete.

It's also an updated version of tune which feels even smoother than before if that was possible.

Big thumbs up and thanks to APR for always working on improving our tunes and features to keep a smile on our faces.

Most importantly for me my son and wife both love it too. Enthusiast family. winning!

Rafal

Ready to race!
I had this software installed today in my Stage 2 Golf 7R. It doesn’t sound anything like in this video. In fact you can hardly hear it at all from inside the cockpit. You need to rev the car almost to the red line and lift off to hear a faintest pop or three. If your radio is on, forget it.
A lot of effort for not much output. Cost of software update $80, total waste of money.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had this software installed today in my Stage 2 Golf 7R. It doesn’t sound anything like in this video. In fact you can hardly hear it at all from inside the cockpit. You need to rev the car almost to the red line and lift off to hear a faintest pop or three. If your radio is on, forget it.
A lot of effort for not much output. Cost of software update $80, total waste of money.

Are you using all APR hardware?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Rafal, are you stock cat back? I agree about it not being very audible from inside car with just DP. I don't think that's APR fault it's just our cars so well built/insulated.

I am adding the BCS resonator delete next week to add more volume, deeper note.

I think most of the video's posted are with full exhaust systems and taken outside of car. I can say that from outside you can still clearly hear it on free revving with just DP.

Rafal

Ready to race!
Rafal, are you stock cat back? I agree about it not being very audible from inside car with just DP. I don't think that's APR fault it's just our cars so well built/insulated.

I am adding the BCS resonator delete next week to add more volume, deeper note.

I think most of the video's posted are with full exhaust systems and taken outside of car. I can say that from outside you can still clearly hear it on free revving with just DP.

Yes. CTS Turbo catted DP. I think I will have to drive with my head out of the window to hear this great new feature...a bit concerned about passing buses.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Happy to say with BCS resonator delete added the bangs and pops now clearly audible in car. Very nice in my opinion with pops and gurgles adds to the fun.

The BCS resonator delete works great with DP with no drone at all when cruising at Australian speed limit of 100kmh.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
SOrry, just posted a topic about this in the general R forum:(

Yeah, I have stock catback and catted APR DP, and it seems quite minimal. Sometimes there are pops when there really shouldn't be (i.e. shifting out of 1st gear in creeping along in parking lot).

I'm wondering how loud it is OUTSIDE the car! Glad to hear that someone else thinks the increase in poppy sounds is minimal from inside

Hatcher

Ready to race!
For me, it seems, the pops happen when letting off the accelerator when up-shifting. And if you free rev it, it pops for sure.

I don't do must rev matching, but I did see someone say it was crackling during rev matching because software considers it a "free rev"

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
For me, it seems, the pops happen when letting off the accelerator when up-shifting. And if you free rev it, it pops for sure.

I don't do must rev matching, but I did see someone say it was crackling during rev matching because software considers it a "free rev"

Ah yeah saw that too. Wouldn't be a problem for me but I read that it still does it even when Sport mode isn't on, which would drive me nuts.

Was hoping there would be an update or something since I'm really tempted to get APR. Just dislike that there isn't a map switching feature and launch control for manual, which is pushing me towards Cobb...

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Ah yeah saw that too. Wouldn't be a problem for me but I read that it still does it even when Sport mode isn't on, which would drive me nuts.

Was hoping there would be an update or something since I'm really tempted to get APR. Just dislike that there isn't a map switching feature and launch control for manual, which is pushing me towards Cobb...

I hear you on launch control for the manual. I asked the same question in a Unitronic thread on vortex and it's basically based on what people are asking for...more people want rice crispies vs launch control for manuals.

Nice to see that Cobb (they came out late) has already released launch control and no lift shifting (flat foot I think they call it) for the manual R owners so we have that option at least.

United Motorsports says they are working on it, but there is no date on release.