GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic licensing ???

Da_Knob

I'm bummed. I have a 2017 Golf R 6 spd. manual. I purchased a Unitronic Stage 1 tune in June last year. I love it.
However, I'm in the middle of trying to do a trade for another 2017 Golf R, this one has DSG.
So...I go to my Uni dealer to remove the tune prior to taking my 6 spd R to the VW dealer for the potential trade to the same car, but with DSG. Apparently Unitronic's licensing agreement follows the VIN of the car and my name.
So even though its the SAME car, same year, same tune...I am stuck and will have to buy the Tune all over again??? Wow...this seams incredibly unfair. Does anybody else have any insight into this? Again...all I am trying to do is use the Tune I bought and paid for on the exact same make, model, and year of car. :mad:

Daument

Ready to race!
When I bought the cable and had to supply the vin, I knew what the licensing agreement was. If you purchased from a dealer and they didn’t inform you of licensing agreement your argument should be with the installer. It suks but that’s how it is on most software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vw671

Autocross Newbie
What is more unfair is that a tune developed and supported can be installed on 2 cars and only getting paid once. Their is no way they can verify fully it was uninstalled on the first car.

Additionally not all cars are created equal. New problems may arise over time on the 2nd car which didn't exist with the first increasing support cost.

Da_Knob

What is more unfair is that a tune developed and supported can be installed on 2 cars and only getting paid once. Their is no way they can verify fully it was uninstalled on the first car.

I understand and I'm not trying to use the tune on two cars simultaneously. I like Unitronic, not trying to rip them off. I would buy the TCU tune too...so I would be spending another $600 on them. I understand their policy better now as I just spoke to John from Uni on the phone.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

I understand and I'm not trying to use the tune on two cars simultaneously. I like Unitronic, not trying to rip them off. I would buy the TCU tune too...so I would be spending another $600 on them. I understand their policy better now as I just spoke to John from Uni on the phone.

actually this is a standard policy from all the tuners (where the JB1/4 are physical hardware) - its not an 'Unitronic trying to screw you'

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
That's why I went Cobb. At least i can sell the AP for a fraction of the cost and recoup some money. You gotta pay to play sometimes.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
^ Yep, did that myself and recouped all but $40 and probably would have broke even with a little more patience. It was one of the best learning experiences - the AP is as versatile as it gets.