GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning and Re-using Pollen Filter

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Sure, I'd like to save a buck by vacuuming out then re-using the pollen filter. I know the book calls for 20K intervals so maybe clean then, and replace at 40K. Is filter being degraded by vacuuming? At $20 a pop and maintaining my wife's '15 Passat as well, I can see a couple of good lunches coming...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sure, I'd like to save a buck by vacuuming out then re-using the pollen filter. I know the book calls for 20K intervals so maybe clean then, and replace at 40K. Is filter being degraded by vacuuming? At $20 a pop and maintaining my wife's '15 Passat as well, I can see a couple of good lunches coming...

They can get moldy smelling even if you cleaned.
I suggest change.
The best one is yellow and has anti mold agents. Might go 30,000.
Skimp is up to you. Your smelling it.

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't get me wrong, I'll swap em out as often as necessary. Just haven't experienced any bad smell. I wouldn't let that occur and interfere with the 'koolness' of the MK7. Dealer carries white or gray; where do you find the yellow?

Do a google search for Mann Frecious Plus.
VW uses the same on all 2017 + 2018 Euro spec Golfs.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
i have tried once in the past. i.e : Dust/Vacumm out the filter and reusing it., while the dust is removed, the moldy smell stays. Ended up replacing them in just few days.
I like the MANN Yellow Frescious filter better than the activated charcoal ones. I replace them as required not neccarily by mileage.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
On one of the Honda boards I used to frequent, someone suggested buying a furnace filter that's the same thickness as your cabin filter, then cutting a section out using the plastic frame (or the old filter) as a guide. You can make 3-4 cabin filters out of one furnace filter, which usually cost much less to begin with.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
On one of the Honda boards I used to frequent, someone suggested buying a furnace filter that's the same thickness as your cabin filter, then cutting a section out using the plastic frame (or the old filter) as a guide. You can make 3-4 cabin filters out of one furnace filter, which usually cost much less to begin with.

I would not want this but up to you.
The filter needs some carbon in it to control odors.
The fine mesh of OE filters also keeps fine dust and pollen out.
If cost an issue run them for a year.
Not a big maintenance item.