GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coming home/leaving home confusion

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
So this isn't a huge problem but more of a minor inconvenience. Might not be a problem at all if someone can explain. My coming home/leaving home lights work fine when I lock my car with one key fob press or one tap of my door handle. If I lock it twice though (activating the alarm) the lights don't come on when I unlock them. So the convenience lights only work when my car is locked once. Not a huge deal but if im at work, I turn my alarm on, and when I get out it's really dark. I'd like the lights to come on when I unlock the car but they don't. I'm guessing this is designed this way for some reason just hoping someone can shed some light on it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
??? What alarm?

I see no reference in the user manual to double-tapping either the kessy lock or the remote transmitter lock button. The alarm is set when the doors are locked from the outside, period. No double tap is necessary or documented.

??? Can you point me to something that says otherwise? Did someone tell you to hit the lock button twice? Or am I misundertanding you?

I don't use the remote transmitter at all. The lights don't come on when I walk up to the car and use my hand to tell kessy to unlock it.

But when I get out of the car in my garage, Coming Home works fine when I just get out of the car and close the door. I don't lock it at all.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
??? What alarm?

I see no reference in the user manual to double-tapping either the kessy lock or the remote transmitter lock button. The alarm is set when the doors are locked from the outside, period. No double tap is necessary or documented.

??? Can you point me to something that says otherwise? Did someone tell you to hit the lock button twice? Or am I misundertanding you?

I don't use the remote transmitter at all. The lights don't come on when I walk up to the car and use my hand to tell kessy to unlock it.

But when I get out of the car in my garage, Coming Home works fine when I just get out of the car and close the door. I don't lock it at all.
When you double tap the lock button or hit the door handle twice the horn beeps activating the alarm just like on many other cars. It just seems that when I do that the coming home leaving home lights don't come on. Normally when my car is locked and dark out, if I place my hand in the door handle it unlocks and my headlights come on. Doesn't do it if I previously locked it using the double tap (sounding the horn) or tapping the handle twice.

adam1991

Banned
The alarm is activated just by locking the car. No double tap needed.

I'll try this and see what it does to Coming Home/Leaving Home.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
My wife's Honda and my past 2 mercedes acted the same way with the key fob. A double press sounds the horn and activates the alarm. I figured this was the same. Wonder why the horn would sound on a double press then...

adam1991

Banned
My wife's Honda and my past 2 mercedes acted the same way with the key fob. A double press sounds the horn and activates the alarm. I figured this was the same. Wonder why the horn would sound on a double press then...

The GTI activates the alarm with a simple locking of the door. And in fact, hitting the remote button once should not only lock the car and arm the alarm, but also flash the lights and sound the horn--if you have that turned on via the Car setup in the infotainment system.

Where did you hear/read that the alarm didn't arm until/unless you hit the button a second time??

As for your Honda, it behaves the same way--just lock the car, and the factory alarm is set. Double tapping the lock button on the remote simply gives audible confirmation via beeping the horn.

I know for a fact, the VW owner's manual outlines all of this. And I've owned Hondas for many years, and have a van in my garage right now.

As for why the GTI would honk the horn on a second press...why not? Honda does it. And it makes sense, for the same reasons.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
The GTI activates the alarm with a simple locking of the door. And in fact, hitting the remote button once should not only lock the car and arm the alarm, but also flash the lights and sound the horn--if you have that turned on via the Car setup in the infotainment system.

Where did you hear/read that the alarm didn't arm until/unless you hit the button a second time??

As for your Honda, it behaves the same way--just lock the car, and the factory alarm is set. Double tapping the lock button on the remote simply gives audible confirmation via beeping the horn.

I know for a fact, the VW owner's manual outlines all of this. And I've owned Hondas for many years, and have a van in my garage right now.

As for why the GTI would honk the horn on a second press...why not? Honda does it. And it makes sense, for the same reasons.
Makes sense. I just know on my mercedes if I double tapped the lock button and then tried opening the car without locking it the alarm would sound. Figured the mk7 was the same. I don't know why you would want the horn to sound for the hell of it so not sure why they would put that in. Especially when double tapping the door handle. Why beep if it does nothing else? Also it affects my coming home/leaving home lights. It's just odd. Now that I think of it we have a red light for the alarm. Not sure why I've never looked to see if it's flashing with one click.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Just got clarification from an old post on another forum ironically dealing with a different topic. Single press is deadlock. Car is locked from inside and out. Double press deactivates the deadlock and the car can be opened from the inside without sounding an alarm. I guess this is why the coming home leaving home lights don't work when the deadlock is deactivated assuming someone is in the car.