GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USP downpipe issue (2017 MK7R)

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
Over the past weekend, I installed a USP catted downpipe on my 2017 golf R.

Same as this one:
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Exha...Downpipe-MK7-Golf-R-S3-A3-Quattro-Catted.html

Was looking it over and noticed there seems to be a portion where the DP is hitting some plastic. You can see it from the top of the engine bay, basically follow the dp and you'll see some black plastic that seems to have melted a bit due to the downpipe (top left of the engine bay).

On their site they state:
"DISCLAIMER - 2017-2018 Golf R models may require additional adjustment/modification to ensure the downpipe does not touch any plastic components."

Cool. Except no indication of what said modifications actually ARE.

Welp, plastic has melted a little and there seems to be enough space now (at least it's not touching), but what exactly is supposed to be modified? Do I need to pull that plastic covering off or what?

Photo attached:

Attachments

• 9DB02597-9497-4D00-B7B9-516B28A5DD59.jpeg
    9DB02597-9497-4D00-B7B9-516B28A5DD59.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

MK7Joe

Ready to race!
I have the same DP and it is indeed very close to the plastic on the first bend going down. no issues with mine luckily

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Can you rotate the upper part of the DP (with all of the connections loose) towards the cylinder head? Then tighten the dp to turbo v band first and work your way down.

USP is known for poor quality and fitment, but you should be able to work around it a bit

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately, I don't have the tools/jack/stands available at my house to try to loosen everything up and rotate. Instead I just trimmed that plastic piece out to give enough clearance.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
The DP will get really hot, and with that clearance, it will melt the plastic in the future and heat up the ABS control module. I guess the USP DP is the one that R owners need to avoid.

rustywoodstone

Passed Driver's Ed
The DP will get really hot, and with that clearance, it will melt the plastic in the future and heat up the ABS control module. I guess the USP DP is the one that R owners need to avoid.

How can you conclude this if you didn't do the install or know if it was installed 100% correctly?
I only ask because it seems other's have installed it without issue. The OP didn't have the ability to reinstall or investigate. He just trimmed some plastic after finding the issue and didn't full research the issue?

I'm not hating on you and I don't have this DP. I just think it's quick to jump to don't buy this POS DP.

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!

I have a USP DP and I just rotated the DP until it the clearance looked right. I did, however, need to push some of the heat shielding up but other than that it was fairly straight forward.

But I have a 2015 R. /shrug

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Many other companies manufacture DPs that do not need any trimming or modification to other parts for the install.
Is the company lacking the ability to provide enough clearance? or just too lazy to correct the problem?