GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$2500 to get an insurance on my GTI?????

pcr

Ready to race!
Get a less powerful car, the insurance company think something bad is likely to happen, perhaps you should take heed.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would have loved a car this nice when I was 19 (love mine at 57) but was smart enough to wait till I was 30 before I had a real nice car. I had a good car at 25 but good/cheap not good/nice. In the long run it worked out well for me.

Unsolicited free advice.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
When i was your age my insurance was over 300 a month for full coverage it was insane. I actually dropped insurance for a while and paid uninsured motorist fee because i couldn't make the payments. Once i hit 21 my rates dropped a lot.

Here's a heads up for those with USAA or just anyone looking for insurance in general. I had USAA for the longest time, and Travelers insurance bested them by a few hundred a year. Might be worth the look.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I'm afraid age is against you. Although I think over $5K a year is ridiculous for a GTi. There must be something you're not telling us.

I'm 51 my insurance is $510/yr. on my MK7 and $395/yr. for my MK5. Not a fair comparison however because of the age difference.

Agree. Some info is missing. I live in the metro Detroit area which has some of the highest insurance rates in the US and pay about $1900.00/year with a clean driving record. He should also look into adding his car to his parents insurance to get a multiple car discount.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I got mine when I was 19, but only had my license for a year as I only moved to the US when I was 18. Mine was that or even more for 6 months. I drove without collision insurance so it could be cheaper. Don't drive the car much so can be cautious about it.

If you have a loan or lease on a car collision is required. If you don't have collision and refuse to obtain collision they will buy it for you and send you the bill, and they don't shop for the best price.

Royal1

Ready to race!
Im 20, college student in San Diego, and my insurance is around 2,000 a year or around 160 a month. Shop around a little bit and see what other companies will offer you. It probably also helps that I went from a 2014 Golf, to a 2017 GTI with the exact same conditions with no claims, tickets or accidents but it all depends on your situation.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Interesting that OP hasn't responded though he's been back to the site several times.

Guess he didn't get the responses he was hoping for. :D

Juggar

Ready to race!
If you have a loan or lease on a car collision is required. If you don't have collision and refuse to obtain collision they will buy it for you and send you the bill, and they don't shop for the best price.

They do this, but they buy it FOR THEM, not you. But they add the bill on to your loan/payment.

Whatever insurance your creditor buys on behalf of your failure to do so is only for them.

Juggar

Ready to race!
You might think you're a good driver, heck, you may be a good driver, but statistically speaking, you're an accident waiting to happen with 200+ hp car.

T.

Umm what? I mean in 1980 maybe. But literally EVERY car i've ever driven/owned besides a first gen honda odyssey has had over 200 HP and not a single one of them was charged for having "too much HP" (lol).....

If we are being honest, in 2017 220 HP aint shit really, especially with 435-460HP Mustang GT's runnings around now. I had a 305 HP V6 mustang and was never bent over a barrel. Same for my 300 HP 2013 impala, 250 HP audi, 200 HP mazda, 215 HP explorer....

We all know the GTI is much faster than its HP implies though and very underrated. Afterall its the torque thats gets you there faster. But TBH, no one in these united states is getting surcharged for having more than 200 hp.

In european countries maybe, but in the US we don't go by HP rating. Rather, a known type of car that is accident prone is potentially surcharged (i.e. lexus 350's , GT cars). Its really your personal data that determines that rate you pay here. A 50 year old man with a clean record could pay less to insure a new corvette than a 25 year old with an average record pays to insure a honda accord.

I saw literally zero increase(surcharge wise) going from a 2015 Jetta to a 2017 GTI, besides the small percentage that it went up for being a more expensive/new car.

I would say an accident waiting to happen is a 19 year old in a Hellcat. That would be SOME crazy surcharge.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I’m 40 and mine was like $1,900 for a year and this is NJ which isn’t cheap.

Geez.

I’m 40 and I pay $550 every 6 months for my GTI and my 911 combined.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Maybe it's not an option, but if you can I would tie your insurance in with your parents. It makes a lot of sense at your age, and will save you a ton of money. When getting my mk6 golf at age 17, if I remember correctly we were able to insure the car for ~$600 per year with USAA. We do have the lowest tier of protection available, and my Dad may have mentioned that he would be the primary driver of the car, but it's pretty staggeringly good considering my age.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Umm what? I mean in 1980 maybe. But literally EVERY car i've ever driven/owned besides a first gen honda odyssey has had over 200 HP and not a single one of them was charged for having "too much HP" (lol).....

If we are being honest, in 2017 220 HP aint shit really, especially with 435-460HP Mustang GT's runnings around now. I had a 305 HP V6 mustang and was never bent over a barrel. Same for my 300 HP 2013 impala, 250 HP audi, 200 HP mazda, 215 HP explorer....

We all know the GTI is much faster than its HP implies though and very underrated. Afterall its the torque thats gets you there faster. But TBH, no one in these united states is getting surcharged for having more than 200 hp.

In european countries maybe, but in the US we don't go by HP rating. Rather, a known type of car that is accident prone is potentially surcharged (i.e. lexus 350's , GT cars). Its really your personal data that determines that rate you pay here. A 50 year old man with a clean record could pay less to insure a new corvette than a 25 year old with an average record pays to insure a honda accord.

I saw literally zero increase(surcharge wise) going from a 2015 Jetta to a 2017 GTI, besides the small percentage that it went up for being a more expensive/new car.

I would say an accident waiting to happen is a 19 year old in a Hellcat. That would be SOME crazy surcharge.

But a GTi is a lot more expensive to fix than a Chevy Sonic. It's not all about HP, it's about cost of repairs too. Euro cars are more expensive to fix after an accident in many cases.