GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie

LeGti

Ready to race!
Had the same issue with oil consumption on hard braking (Cup2 tires, repeated threshold braking on rally roads).

I noticed that once enough Gs had been reached, the PCV never returned to its normal operation, as though the bypass valve stayed open. The symptom of which was positive crankcase pressure, diagnosed by pulling dipstick at idle: air would push out of the engine instead of being sucked in.

Went through three new PCVs. Each time, once a certain load was placed, the positive crankcase thing was happening.

I've kept the old PCVs and when I make time for it I'll do some dissecting & see what I find.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Had the same issue with oil consumption on hard braking (Cup2 tires, repeated threshold braking on rally roads).

I noticed that once enough Gs had been reached, the PCV never returned to its normal operation, as though the bypass valve stayed open. The symptom of which was positive crankcase pressure, diagnosed by pulling dipstick at idle: air would push out of the engine instead of being sucked in.

Went through three new PCVs. Each time, once a certain load was placed, the positive crankcase thing was happening.

I've kept the old PCVs and when I make time for it I'll do some dissecting & see what I find.

Wow, good info, thank you.
Looking forward to what you find during exploratory surgery!

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

Thank you for the update; looking forward to what you may discover.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SneakyDeeky

Ready to race!
I’ve experienced the oil smoke cloud on my MK7 Golf R during AutoX the first time I switched to R compound tires. I’m going to go with the VWR oil catch can kit.
Brembo 8pot calipers from Audi RS5
Toyo Proxes R888 235/35/19
OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19x8 ET45

FWIW, I’ve been consuming oil since day one while tracking and AutoX on the OEM tires at about 0.3-0.5 qts every event. I changed oil every 3-4 events and did the Blackstone oil report with everything looking nominal, so it wasn’t a big concern. The smoke cloud is now causing me to take action as I didn’t know this was the cause until now.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra

Have you done a dissection yet? Curious of what you find.

/Peter

teemmy

Ready to race!
Curious if more people have experienced this and if any other catch cans have provided a solution.

I have the VWR catch can and it's been leaking some oil - I opened it up and noticed some screws were loose that secured the paper gasket, so I tightened it up. Been driving around a week and noticed it's still leaking...

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Curious if more people have experienced this and if any other catch cans have provided a solution.

I have the VWR catch can and it's been leaking some oil - I opened it up and noticed some screws were loose that secured the paper gasket, so I tightened it up. Been driving around a week and noticed it's still leaking...
Still leaking from the paper gasket? If so, reach out to VWR for a replacement gasket.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

teemmy

Ready to race!
I wanted to bump this thread to see if any newer GTIs have been having this problem w/hard braking or if newer PCV systems have fixed this problem.

Also wanted to ask if anyone with aftermarket oil pans can fix this problem as well - ECS claims their baffling system in their pan can solve oil starvation issues: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-steel-oil-pan-mqb-gen3-tsi/008012ecs01-01kt/

I think I may be misunderstanding that the issue the mk7 has is with the PCV system vs some oil starvation issue

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have CTS CC and in yesterday's race I emptied twice.
No issues.

When you say emptied twice, you mean it was full of oil? Or you checked it twice and had no oil or smoking?

victorchen008

I have a 2016 audi s3 with re71 which is experiencing the same issue. I have a ecs catch can which is after the factory pcv, it still manage to catch two full can in one track day but I an still see white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Maybe the baffled oil pan is the only solution