GOLFMKV

Hood liner/insulation Mk7.5

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
My SE has the pad.

ericm2151

My 3 week old 2018 Autobahn does not have the liner either. Should fight and try to get VW to provide one or will it be a loosing battle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
My 3 week old 2018 Autobahn does not have the liner either. Should fight and try to get VW to provide one or will it be a loosing battle?

Losing battle. Just source the part on e-acca or elsewhere and install it yourself.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted

skip it.....you can go look at others on the lot to see (and a reasonable request ) but unless they do and yours doesn't skip it.

Mud

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Oh this is interesting, never thought they would change something like that. Oh my MK6 I eventually ditched the liner because some rodent tore it to shred and replacement was like $250 or something. It made a lot of underhood noise a lot more obvious(turbo noise, for example). I am curious how a 7.5 compares to a 7 since 7 has liner....

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So far, the bean counters' hit list has included: hood liners, felt lining in the glove box, AC in the glove box, glove box lock, chrome trim on window switches, backlighting in the overhead panel, battery insulation - am I missing anything? I really fear for the Golf 8, these guys are just cutting super trivial stuff now, but on an all-new platform, they may go hog wild.

These things concern me too.
Hopefully it's simply late run decontenting on the MK7.5 and not an indication of the MK8 lacking the little niceties that add up to a nicer impression of the car.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
These things concern me too.
Hopefully it's simply late run decontenting on the MK7.5 and not an indication of the MK8 lacking the little niceties that add up to a nicer impression of the car.

In another thread, someone (sorry forget the thread and poster, ill try and find it again) said that after about 3 years from the first release, they start doing cost saving measures as they focus on the next generation. Kinda makes sense looking at all the changes starting with MY17.

Totally agreed.

First year is always not the best but any product towards the end of life cycle is not the best either. Once the product is stabilized, most OEM's want a certain percentage of cost reduction every year even on a safety component.

Alright so I didn't remember what he said exactly, but seems fitting.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Now I’m curious if my 2018 golf r has hood insulation lol. I’ll have to check when I get home

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
^^^ i think hes talking about the dome lights in front?? on my mk5 it had tiny lights so you could easily see buttons. not sure if mk7s ever had this, i still struggle to locate them on my mk7.5

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
^^^ i think hes talking about the dome lights in front?? on my mk5 it had tiny lights so you could easily see buttons. not sure if mk7s ever had this, i still struggle to locate them on my mk7.5

My 2017 has this, but they were dropped in 2018. [insert sad trombone sound]

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie

Yes, all Mk7 have the backlit buttons overhead for dome light, etc. I think they cut it starting MY18 or maybe even some late production run MY17.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

Can’t hurt to ask. Especially if there are other 18s on the lot still with them.