GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Pay attention to the dash and you'll have no troubles. I've been pretty impressed with it.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

chid

Ready to race!
it is very good, on long stretch of road I don't touch the acceleration or the brake.
be careful in traffic though, I had a car changing lanes in front of me, and it didn't see it.
apparently (from the manual) the sensor sees a cone in front of the car, so if somebody comes from the side and really close, it's invisible until the last moment for the sensor.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It is also smart enough to start judging speed/distance against the cars in another lane if you are indicating. Use with care...

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
The ACC will go on stand by when come to a full stop if it's more than 3 seconds (you will see a message " ACC ready to resume" on your dash board). You only need to tap the gas pedal and it will all resume as expected. But I did have a close call once that ACC fail to brake due to a sudden stop traffic and it didn't have enough time to respond. It did show crash warning and I did engage the brake myself or it engaged brake at the same time as well. My suggestion is even with ACC, you better still keep an eye on the road.

We've had our Golf for nearly two months now but haven't yet tried the ACC. There are two reasons for this: we haven't yet driven for any length on a clear motorway, and also we're too scared to try it! :eek: :eek:

From what you say above, I assume you have an automatic gearbox. Ours is manual, although I understand that the car will brake automatically before a collision, and the clutch will disengage and the engine will stop.

If I'm right, I assume that the correct procedure to drive off again is to depress the clutch, which will restart the engine, and then drive off as normal.

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine is an auto, so I don't know how it works with manual. Having taken the plunge and tried ACC I am now more confident to give it another go, thanks to our fellow forum members who offered such good advice.

Jon2

Ready to race!
There are no motorways or dual-carriageways in Shetland but I use adaptive cruise all the time. We have nice long, straight roads here that allows the ACC to work very well indeed. The (roughly) 110-mile round trip down to Lerwick is accomplished with ACC engaged for over 90% of the journey.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Ours is manual, although I understand that the car will brake automatically before a collision, and the clutch will disengage and the engine will stop.

If I'm right, I assume that the correct procedure to drive off again is to depress the clutch, which will restart the engine, and then drive off as normal.

On a manual car the acc has no way to operate the clutch - that's your business. If the car brakes it will alert the driver to take over when you get down to about 10kph. You have to operate the clutch or it will stall, badly. Then pull away as normal and resume ACC when you're ready.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
On a manual car the acc has no way to operate the clutch - that's your business. If the car brakes it will alert the driver to take over when you get down to about 10kph. You have to operate the clutch or it will stall, badly. Then pull away as normal and resume ACC when you're ready.

You've got me worried now. The salesman, when we bought our car, assured me that it would automatically disengage the clutch in those circumstances.

Can anyone else confirm that?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
You've got me worried now. The salesman, when we bought our car, assured me that it would automatically disengage the clutch in those circumstances.

Can anyone else confirm that?
It has no way of doing that unless you are driving an automatic or semi automatic, that should be patently obvious. How disengaged do you have to be to NOT notice that you need to press the clutch down? It's still a manual car and you still need to change gear...!

I don't know what you've been told by a salesman but I think you have to realise that this tech is not magic, it's just an engine computer bolt-on piece of code....

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
It has no way of doing that unless you are driving an automatic or semi automatic, that should be patently obvious. How disengaged do you have to be to NOT notice that you need to press the clutch down? It's still a manual car and you still need to change gear...!

I don't know what you've been told by a salesman but I think you have to realise that this tech is not magic, it's just an engine computer bolt-on piece of code....

Thanks. When we next go in, probably for our first service, I'll have a word with him.

Actually, I don't consider myself 'disengaged' at all. I understand that the system can apply the brakes in an emergency situation, so it is not too far-fetched to assume that it can also disengage the clutch.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It can engage the brakes because cars have had ABS systems for decades, it uses the same actuators. My 1995 VW could also engage the brakes in an (pathetic by the way) attempt to stop the front wheels spinning, this is not new.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just received a response from VW confirming what you have said, that the clutch would not disengage under those circumstances, even with City Emergency Braking.
This is contrary to what our salesman told us when we collected the car, and I am rather concerned that he misinformed us. I think more training may be a good thing.

On a more general subject, we are pleased with the new car but not so happy that this and other things are lacking: the dipping (nearside) wing mirror in reverse doesn't work and neither does aspects of Guide and Inform services, such as Vehicle Health Report and recording of where the car has been parked.

Admittedly, these things are not of any great importance to us, but I think that if VW advertise such things as an inducement for customers to buy their products, they should at lease ensure that they work properly.

I recall that someone on this forum did state that Car Net is a gimmick and I now have to agree with him. Another person said that the NAV addition to the SE model is not worth having and, again, I must agree as using Google Maps on the screen negates any advantage of using the Navigation map, certainly for traffic flow information as the NAV map shows only traffic flow on the major roads, whereas Google Maps adds such information on many more smaller roads as well. If we should buy another Golf, it will certainly be SE and not SE NAV. We live and learn.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Drove from Stafford up to Scotland without touching any pedals. Usually one down from the middle setting as on the Motorway people always try to squeeze into the gap. For town driving it is set to Audi distance (closest).

Just a matter of trusting the radar on the front to do it's thing and it hasn't let me down yet.