GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaks and rattles

tissue

Passed Driver's Ed
So my car has developed a lot of different interior creaks/rattles, but one rattle is annoyingly loud. Its hard to identify where exactly is it coming from, but sounds like its coming from passenger B-pillar area. No ideas what it might be?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I have a loud rattle at highway speeds coming from the rear wheel well, I only know that because I had my girlfriend crawling around back there at speed. Could be related to the B pillar rattle you mentioned. Well see if the dealer can figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I was rattle-free until I drove to work this morning. It sounds like it's coming from in passenger side of the dashboard. Like some, I thought it was coming from the glovebox so I emptied it out and tried driving with it open but the sound persisted. At times it almost sounds like it's coming from the vent.

I haven't noticed it at any particular speed or RPM. It only seems to happen when I hit the brakes and the weight of the car shifts. At times it sounds more like a marble rolling than a rattle.

I heard it once or twice before and giving my dashboard a hard thwack seemed to take care of it but this time around it sounds like it's here to stay.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
hmmm ^that sounds like it might be the fuel line rattle (a very common rattle in these cars). Mine came from the factory with it, however it only happened when off throttle between 1800-2200 RPMs, and went away after 3 months. Now, a year and 2 months into ownership, it has come back very slightly. But it's not as loud as before nor as consistent (seems to be temperature based)

Ahh yes Wang, of course I don't have my ride yet, but from reading in the forums, the fuel line rattle making that noise. If you search for it skinnyroots, you'll find it. I remember even seeing some pics that the member had posted as well showing what he did. Basically the fuel lines clanking onto metal and it is accessible enough to place zip ties around the lines to secure it around the opening of the frame where these lines are visible. Took care of that members noise they were hearing which could be the same gremlin at work for your noise and the coming to light again for you as well Wang.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Oh, scratch that. Forgot to check the sunglasses holder in my sleep deprived state. It was bright out when I was driving home so I threw on my sunglasses, and all of the sudden--the rattling vanished!

Good to know that if it starts up for real, check the fuel line, haha.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is what is working for me...not clean, this was just testing...but no rattles.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-adFqvYRj6dQ19fQVpWOHhRaXNRalIxNjIyRHlxd2kyMGtR

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-adFqvYRj6dNGdvb3hKbUl3V0JUSHNmNEY0RFZSa1NoVkFN

I'm thinking something like this tape might work just as well, done all the way around, not just in the four locations...but look much better.
http://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-6-9718-Foam-Insulation-Black/dp/B00SYQ3VNA

UPDATE after a coule monthts:
1. The insulation around the hatch edges (metal/plastic) apparently didn't do anything. It was the tubing I had wedged between the hatch window and the big plastic lip. At least on mine, that lip has a lot of give and flex, so not surprising it is vibrating on the rear wiper. So...I removed the tubing thinking it was insulation (in the pics) and the vibration immediately returned. So I have removed the insulation taping, and wedged new tubing (clear pvc per below) the whole length of the lip/window. Rattle gone again.

2. I purchased some softer clear pvc tubing to use around the door molding instead of the black irrigation tubing, and it seems to work better imho. It is softer, so it gives a little more, and the door doesn't feel as spring loaded. So far seems to do same as helping rattles.

wootang00

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT
1. The insulation around the hatch edges (metal/plastic) apparently didn't do anything. It was the tubing I had wedged between the hatch window and the big plastic lip. At least on mine, that lip has a lot of give and flex, so not surprising it is vibrating on the rear wiper. So...I removed the tubing thinking it was insulation (in the pics) and the vibration immediately returned. So I have removed the insulation taping, and wedged new tubing (clear pvc per below) the whole length of the lip/window. Rattle gone again.

2. I purchased some softer clear pvc tubing to use around the door molding instead of the black irrigation tubing, and it seems to work better imho. It is softer, so it gives a little more, and the door doesn't feel as spring loaded. So far seems to do same as helping rattles.

Do you have any pictures of this perhaps?
Did you cut the clear pvc tubing and wedge it into the hatch window and the plastic lip?

Pictures would be great. This thing is driving me nuts!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Do you have any pictures of this perhaps?
Did you cut the clear pvc tubing and wedge it into the hatch window and the plastic lip?

Pictures would be great. This thing is driving me nuts!

You just necro'd a thread that died 2 years ago. unlikely that user goes on the forums anymore. Might not even have his car anymore, considering the issues he was having back then.

wootang00

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT

Just an FYI. I did what this user mentioned. Went to Home Depot and picked up about a foot of plastic tubing. Tubing says 3/8in by 1/4inch vinyl. Except I cut the clear tubing so I could use the open it to make it somewhat flat to wedge it between the hatch window and the plastic molding and go in around the plastic edge like a circle. I put one 2 inch clear tubing near each side of the rear wiper area. (Right before you see the hump for the rear wiper motor). Any who the plastic tubing creates a dampening buffer so the it doesn’t rattle from the plastic to the window. Or could be plastic to the rear wiper motor. Nonetheless it works.

I also tried adjusting the rubber bumper stopper thing as people have mentioned in the past but on my 2017 mk7 the rubber stopper doesn’t go up and down. You can use a Allen wrench to move the inside of the rubber stopper but the actual plastic rigid pieces never move. So not sure how that was supposed to help.

Hope this helps some people.

Last edited:

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm still the proud owner of the GTI...HA! But it has been awhile since I came on the forums. Seems after awhile you just kind of get used to the creeks and rattles. However, if I remember correctly, I found that most of the rattles from the back were actually the center console in the rear seat vibrating. I used some simple window insulation around the edges and it mostly resolved it. Since then I haven't opened it up and it has mostly been fine. I'll try to take a picture this weekend and post it.

I never fully resolved all the various little rattles unfortunately. There is one in the passenger seat that still annoys me, but is only there when there is not a passenger. Its odd, I can apply a little pressure and it goes away. I also had the dealer turn off the soundaktor a long time ago...I'm giving serious thought to having it turned back on just so I don't hear any rattles! :)

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Too much bass (10" sub above spare) makes my sun glass holder when empty, is there a fix? Has anyone taken apart the holder and lined it with something?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have been having a rattle under acceleration coming from the dash area. It is worse when in sport mode. Anyone else have this issue?

100% the soundaktor. If your car is under warranty, can probably get the dealership to try to do something. if not, your only options are turning the volume down with VCDS/OBDEleven/Carista, or unplugging it.

I also have this issue. But it's intermittent. Unlike most on the forums, I actually enjoy the sound on sport mode, but only when it doesn't vibrate my dash. Trying to figure out what I want to do about it. Probably just unplug it like I did before.