GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ZacR's Build Thread

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Nice! I managed to snag their Stage 4 LPFP kit for a steal from a local who changed his mind on his fuel setup and never installed it. Currently waiting for the Bosche injectors to come off backorder so I can get the MPI kit as well.

I want ALL the fueling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man your car is gonna be a beast.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
So easily on of the weakest parts of my car was the current suspension set up. The KW’s worked well but it’s time for something more race oriented...so we partnered up with one of the best suspension companies on the market who just recently developed a kit for our MQB cars. I’d like to welcome Motion Control Suspension to the team for 2018! Myself and team mate @darryl_mk7r be running their 2 way non remote dampers on both cars. We still need to work out some small details like spring rates and ride height adjusters for the rear but these dampers will take our cars to another level of performance. For those that don’t know MCS please go and check out their website and history. These guys make some of the best race suspension around and it’s truly amazing we have them available for the MQB chassis now.

www.motioncontrolsuspension.com

Zacr811

Ready to race!
CSCS released the class track records. Toronto Motorsports Park is the big one to hold since it’s the track everyone knows best and spends the most time on. So it’s pretty cool to hold the record myself. Note this was in last years finals. About 1.5 seconds slower than my PB outside of competition. That day was HOT and the track was very slick. Still rocking the open diff and full interior, less tire, less power, no aero. My PB is a 1:20xx there now and with how much the car has changed over the winter who knows where it will end up. I’m going into street FWD class and hoping to break the record there this year.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
So I mentioned a while back we partnered up with Rotora Brakes for 2018. Today I drove down to pick them up after work and finally get my hands on the new brake kit.

I’ve honestly never been so impressed with customer service, quality, fit and finish. From the beginning Lorne at Rotora has been incredibly supportive of what our team is doing with the MQB platform and jumped on the opportunity to get their brakes on our cars. I have never heard of Rotora until recently. I know that they are known in the BMW, JDM world but to us VW guys it’s foreign and in all honesty that’s a shame. These guys are making some stellar products. I was blown away opening these up and installing them. Everything fit perfectly and went together like butter.

This is their 6 Piston Forged 355mm Super Challenge Kit. Meant for strict track use and racing. The kits only weighs in at 26.8 pounds with all hardware. Which is over 4 pounds lighter per corner than my PW BBK.

The pics are not the best as it’s dark in my garage but I’ll have some more shortly.

We plan to get out to the track on the 29th and break these in!

Driving home with almost 400 pounds of BBK’s and extra parts!

Packaging is top notch.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
So again spent the evening working on the car. So many little things to do which add up to a lot of work and with the first track day set for the 29th I’m taking every opportunity I can to chip away at the never ending list.

I’ve been waiting for an update file to get my AIM MXS Display working. Finally was able to detect RPM and Gears. The goal with this was to make a simple display page that shows minimal data. I almost change it up but for now this is what I got. Most important to me is the big Gear number shown and RPM , the shift lights are also a plus. It also has a GPS unit connected for lap times. I’d like like to get oil temp pans coolant temp on there in the future but we need to add a few things in to do so. For now it’s good.

I finished installing the new BBK. Only one side was complete. Just need to bleep all 4 corners now and the brakes are set.

Here are some better pics with good lighting.

The old Prodigy Werks Kit is for sale. PM me for details.

Picked up some oil and brake fluid on my way home.

Now I’m working with my team mate Darryl on spring rates for the new MCS Dampers. I found the TCR specs and was a bit to surprised to see them fairly low. The TCR weighs 2500 pounds which I’m definitely no where close to that and they run the following rates.

So I’m thinking with my car being heavier to go with a 14k or 16k front and either a 12k or 14k Rear. I have friends running 24k all around on other platforms and they says it’s great. They always seem to start low and end up going heavier and heavier. This is going to to take some time to test and figure out to see what works or not.

I’m headed down Saturday morning to pick up the new seats from Corbeau. Harness’ should be here in a few days and after that we’re good to go do some testing!!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I need to chat with you regarding TCR car specs sometime since you seem to have done all the research already :) Not looking to go balls-out race mode like you, but had some questions regarding suspension/wheel/tire setup.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Was going to update last night but I got home late. Woke up Sunday morning and saw that there was an open lapping day at Toronto Motorsports Park which is only 2 hours away. Probably the nicest day of the year outside and I’m like I have to somehow get my car ready to go.

Rushed over to where I store my car and get to work. I need to install my new Sparco harness and bleed the front brakes, get the car of jack stands and mount Wheels, bed in the brakes somewhat and then hopefully have enough time to drive to the track without anything going wrong. Keep in mind I have not driven the car much and only once since it got tuned but never did a pull or anything really.

Long story short I got the car ready in time and head out. About 45 min into my drive I throw an EPC just cruising at like 2600 RPM in 5th. Weird. Pull over and restart only to throw one again. f***. Ok so right off the bat I know it’s wastegate related since my tuner told me we need to adjust it a bit so I wasn’t worried but contemplated turning around and not wasting my money at the track in case I can’t even run it but decide to carry on.

Fast forward a bit, unload everything and get my tire pressure set for the first session. Double check everything and head out expecting to have an issue or something but finished the session with no issues surprisingly and I threw down a very fast lap time with traffic and not really pushing. Hell yeah!

Noticed an issue with my wastegate though. Didn’t throw an EPC but the car stops making power in 4th at certain RPM which is an easy fix BUT my god the power is insane. I can’t explain it but it’s just savage. I have so much power down low I can stay in 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear like I would last year. 991 911 in 3rd gear couldn’t pull away from me in a straight. I have to get used to the power though as it’s very easy to make mistakes now.

The biggest surprise to me was how balanced the car was off the bat. I don’t know if I got lucky or just built everything right but holy crap the aero is very very noticeable. Every lap I tried to push harder and harder to find the limit and simply couldn’t. The car has so much in it now that I have to drive this track I’m so familiar with completely different and it’s a weird feeling to do so. Going to take some time to get to 10/10th again. One thing that really really surprised me with the aero was control under braking from about 185km to 90km. The car was so stable and with the new Rotora brakes my old braking points completely changed. I could brake scary late into a couple high speed corners and trail brake under complete control. When it came down to control in the corners it was great. Rotated even better than last year with the larger tires up front and the aero really kept things planted. I can only imagine how good it’s going to be with the MCS dampers and 16k spring rates.

All in all a great day. Just need to sort out the wastegate issue with VCDS and I feel like it’s just me as a driver that needs to figure out the rest. Lol.

Here’s a quick clip of what the car sounds like coming around onto the front straight.

https://instagram.com/p/Bh5KcRtgA5d/

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Just wanted to update everyone with what’s happening over the next few weeks as we prepare for the first race on June 3rd.

My MCS dampers are being built as we speak and will be shipping out next week along with the new Eibach Springs. I went with 16k springs all around which is going to be pretty aggressive. Excited to see how it feels on the track. New 60mm perches from Vorshlag are also on order to fit the new 60mm front springs.

On Sunday I noticed I was able to brake much much harder into some high speed corners, car is lighter, areo, bigger stronger brakes, etc. This was just too much for the stock PCV system to take and I was smoking out the track because of it. The guys at USP Motorsports hooked me up with their new Spulen V2 catch can system to resolve this issue. Probably one of the few catch can systems on the market that reduce crank case pressure on high powered cars and actually resolve on track pcv issues. Very exited to get this on and keep things safe.

Weather took a turn for the worst this weekend so it looks like I’m cancelling the Sunday track day. Don’t feel like driving in potential snow!

Last edited:

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Time for titanium exhaust

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m working on. Fingers crossed.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
With the season quickly approaching I decided to make a schedule showing which events I’ll be at. If anyone is going to be at these themselves please come by and say hello.

Tomorrow we’re heading to Mosport DDT for some seat time prior to the first race. Having never been on that track myself I want to get some practice in before the race.

I’ll have my action cam with me this time and hope to start adding videos to this thread and updating my YouTube channel more often.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Great day at Mosport DDT.

This was the first for me at this track but it’s also where my first race of the season will be.

It was cold. Only about 7C which is not ideal for R comp tires. Still lots of grip out there and I was excited to go learn the track.

I managed to come within .8 seconds of the Street FWD lap record based off my lap times. Obviously this is different in competition but this record has not been broken since 2016. Good to know the car can keep up. Also beat lasts years class winning time by over 2 seconds. Safe to say the car is running well.

Check out he video below. Fast forward a bit. I didn’t edit this. Just posted it up. Fast lap at the end. Camera died 8-10 seconds from the finish though.

https://youtu.be/9duOM-eDjWE