GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
As for new dampers, just know that aftermarket versions such as Koni yellows and Bilstein B8’s are far superior to the OEM dampers. Performance and comfort-wise they are in a different league. Guys are who say otherwise haven’t had them before.

x100

Also I'll throw in that the difference in quality/longevity between a stock Sachs damper that VW probably pays $15 for and a Koni Yellow or B8 is HUUUUGE. Bilstein warrants their shocks for life to the original owner. They will easily exceed 100k miles with minimal wear and still be doing their job. Those Sachs/Boge units that get slapped on in Puebla are probably well worn by 40k miles - and cut that in half (or worse) if lowering springs are added to the equation.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My comments were based on the non-DCC dampers, but since you have the nice ones I would just keep what you have...unless you really want to go down the route of a DCC-delete flavored set of coils, which sounds like the exact opposite of your current set up. I'd stick with what you have. I'm sure the ride is excellent. :)

I've been driving various watercooled VWs for 35 years now, back to the original Mk1 GTI, and every single one of them prior to my current R had modified suspensions. Over the years I've tried a ton of different stuff, with varying success.

I can't imagine wanting to "upgrade" the stock DCC system on the current GTI/R. For a street-driven car, IMHO it's simply sublime. For the first time in all these years of ownership, this is a stock setup I'm 100% happy with right off the showroom floor. Hardcore track or autocross guys might yearn for something "more", but for the street, this setup is perfection IMHO. At the very least, I think DCC owners should give the setup a fair shake before deciding too quickly that it needs to be upgraded.

Chuckable

Ready to race!
FYI for anyone who's interested, APR responded to my inquiry about final spring rates:

Front: 38 N/mm
Rear: 50 N/mm

By my calculations, that's:

Front: 217 lb/in
Rear: 285 lb/in

From what I've read, stock MK7 GTI is:

Front: 175 lb/in
Rear: 230 lb/in

So, looks like APR is roughly 20% stiffer than stock at their final rate.

Last edited:

REVerentRS

FYI for anyone who's interested, APR responded to my inquiry about final spring rates:

Front: 38 N/mm
Rear: 50 N/mm

By my calculations, that's:

Front: 217 lb/in
Rear: 285 lb/in

From what I've read, stock MK7 GTI is:

Front: 175 lb/in
Rear: 230 lb/in

So, looks like APR is roughly 20% stiffer than stock at their final rate.

I was wondering about those APR spring rates. Look very similar to Eibach's --> https://eibach.com/us/c-176-product-releases-2015-volkswagen-gti-pro-kit-sportline-anti-roll-kit.html

This says the OE rates are 188F / 246R.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
My comments were based on the non-DCC dampers, but since you have the nice ones I would just keep what you have...unless you really want to go down the route of a DCC-delete flavored set of coils, which sounds like the exact opposite of your current set up. I'd stick with what you have. I'm sure the ride is excellent. :)

Hey Hammersticks, I’ve read a ton of your suspension posts across the forum and wanted to ask for your advice.

I’m looking for the most mildest drop available, would H&R OE Springs be my best bet? I do spirited driving on super technical roads in southern Appalachia, so performance is somewhat important even though I’m currently happy enough, I also live in Atlanta where we have terrible roads.

I’m also DSG, with DCC. I quite enjoy it, it’s got 41k mi on it now. Are you saying the DCC dampers have more longevity than the standard stock dampers? If not, do you recommend a DCC compliant shock?

Thank you!!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
^

You also might want to give MSSKits a look.

You can get stiffer and adjust them up.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
^

You also might want to give MSSKits a look.

You can get stiffer and adjust them up.

Stiffer? I’ve begun researching those and feel the cheapest option (adjustable rears, street version) would be a good fit.

But still, how good are the OEM DCC shocks? By the time I get springs I’ll likely have 60k on them

RPM

Measurements (best I was able to do):

View attachment 20747

Any word on how much drop after they settled? Looks like 1" right at install time. Which is way more than advertised of 1/2 - 3/4.. 25-50% more before even settling in. That advertising isn't even close.

I was very interested in the "advertised" drop but it seems they are no different than any of the others which are too low for what I want. APR really needs to update the website if they are dropping cars 1"+. The APR car pics looked WAY more than advertised drop as well and these measurements confirm it.

It really is hard to find a good 3/4" max drop spring for better performance. Non DG. The Eibach PRO kits are supposed to be 1" but looking at people's pics they look no different than VWR drop. :confused:

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
^ right there with ya. I was set on the Eibach Pros, but pics I've seen lately look just as low as VWR or EMD.

Has anyone installed and posted pics of the APR springs with stock wheels yet? APR's photos don't give a proper idea of drop at all, considering the 19s and graphics used on their shop MK7 GTI.

Eric@Wages

Passed Driver's Ed
WOW This is a great post from the beginning.

This does not make my search of springs any easier. I am too interested on no more than 1” using stock dampers.

Thanks

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
WOW This is a great post from the beginning.

This does not make my search of springs any easier. I am too interested on no more than 1” using stock dampers.

Thanks

H&R OE Sports.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I don't know, the H&R look like they drop more then advertised too, especially in the rear based on this picture. And they probably don't work too well with the stock dampers because aren't they progressive?