GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light Package "U" Bulb out

haya

Passed Driver's Ed
So yesterday morning I was greeted with a "check daytime running lights" error message on my dash. I go to check and see that my passenger side DRL is out and there is condensation in the housing (rained a lot the day before).

My question is, is this something I can fix myself?

dawooj

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope.

If your car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer. I had mine replaced back in January for the same issue under the 36 mo warranty. It's an expensive part to replace on your own.

haya

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay thanks. Guess its time for an appointment. I'm at 30K so its getting close.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had the same issue last winter and headlight was replaced under warranty. It was due to bad seal and i had condensation inside the assembly.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Had condensation build up inside my passenger side (halogen) headlight a couple months ago. Nothing failed, but I did replace it under warranty. I'll see if I can dig up the invoice somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Poppn

Passed Driver's Ed
Had condensation build up inside my passenger side (halogen) headlight a couple months ago. Nothing failed, but I did replace it under warranty. I'll see if I can dig up the invoice somewhere.

I had this same issue, but the condensation cleared up. Unfortunately it left some ugly water mark stains on the inside of both the lenses, it looks terrible at night with the headlights on.

What did you tell the dealer? I mentioned it to them, but all they told me was condensation is normal and blew off the rest as if the water marks are normal as well.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I had this same issue, but the condensation cleared up. Unfortunately it left some ugly water mark stains on the inside of both the lenses, it looks terrible at night with the headlights on.

What did you tell the dealer? I mentioned it to them, but all they told me was condensation is normal and blew off the rest as if the water marks are normal as well.
Ah geez, that sucks. I made an appointment, drove in with condensation still on the inside of the housing and told them I was worried about potential electrical damage to the headlight.

They agreed with me, and within the day I had a brand new headlight installed under warranty.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Time to stop by another dealer. I took it to my dealer and showed some pictures taken when it was worst. There wasnt any questions asked and it was replaced under warranty.

cb1111

There is condensation and then there is condensation.

Some condensation is normal (depending on weather) but that goes away after the lamp has been on for 20 minutes or so.

Condersation that leaves largish water droplets in the housing after the lamp has been on may be the sign of a problem.

Modern headlighting units are not sealed so air (with the associated moisture) will enter the unit. Any lighting mods may make it worse as the seals must be replaced properly which is sometimes difficult to do.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This is how mine looked.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Oh boy, this and the door light strip worried me from day 1. Seems like you have to replace the whole unit which sucks.

In that case you just replace this part only, you don’t have to replace the whole door cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone had the headlight replaced even if they are modded / tuned?

I can’t imagine a dealer refusing to replace it under warranty even the car is modified

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Has anyone had the headlight replaced even if they are modded / tuned?

I can’t imagine a dealer refusing to replace it under warranty even the car is modified

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My car is very obviously tuned and it wasn't an issue.