GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6mt Transmission fluid flush

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
LOL you guys are changing a manual gear box more than a DSG.. what a waste.. it's your money do what you want, but it is indeed a waste.. I've ran 180,000 on amsoil on a shitty ford 5 speed I got 260,000 miles out of the car before junking it.

I can see changing it when you replace a clutch..

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The beauty of living in a free country and having a job that pays you well is that you can change your manual transmission oil every 3,000 miles if you want. You can't stop me! lol

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I will be changing mine at 30k this spring/summer.
I use redline for my bmw, I wonder if I should stick with OEM or go back to redline or Motul

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
On manual trans which actually spec a factory MTF change, I can think only of the GM 6sp in Opel-Saturn Redline models. They spec only a single change at 6000 miles, fwiw. Lifetime, after that one change....

I believe our trans have a magnet built inside to catch wear particles.

I would think 30k-50k, after 3 to 5 years is a "good" time to service.

If you are adding a lot of HP, maybe go thicker, but not to 75w-90 a "gear oil" visc range.

Redline MTL is just about right visc. See my other posts on this.

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Does the gear oil have to be replaced when doing a clutch replacement? In other words, does the fluid have to be drained to change the clutch? I don’t believe so but safer to ask.

Joel

Ready to race!
Does the gear oil have to be replaced when doing a clutch replacement? In other words, does the fluid have to be drained to change the clutch? I don’t believe so but safer to ask.
No, a minimal amount will pour out when you twist and drop it to get the trans out. You can refill it if you want, I only had a few drops pour out. So I left it as is/was.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I have yet to change mine but might when I hit 60K and then again after another 60K. Guys changing it more frequently are a little OCD. There's no reason to be changing it so often but it's your car and money, do what you want with it.

JWTS

Ready to race!

This is awesome--but, quick note: not all of these actually have a fill plug. There are some versions of these transmission that just have a big, blank space there. I have one of those cars...

In that case, you have to remove either the reverse switch or the selector bolt (just above the reverse switch) and fill from there. If you go this route, you'll just have to drain and then add 2.3L, since there's no way to check the fluid level.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
If you have car up in the air, this is a 10-15 minute job (manual trans fluid change very straight-forward compared to an auto).

I usually do my MTF every 30K. What comes out is always dirtier than what goes in.

Motul and Redline both make great MTF. I'm sure the OEM VW stuff is pretty good too.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
On manual trans which actually spec a factory MTF change, I can think only of the GM 6sp in Opel-Saturn Redline models. They spec only a single change at 6000 miles, fwiw. Lifetime, after that one change....

I believe our trans have a magnet built inside to catch wear particles.

I would think 30k-50k, after 3 to 5 years is a "good" time to service.

If you are adding a lot of HP, maybe go thicker, but not to 75w-90 a "gear oil" visc range.

Redline MTL is just about right visc. See my other posts on this.

I thought redline is rough in the cold weather?

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
This is awesome--but, quick note: not all of these actually have a fill plug. There are some versions of these transmission that just have a big, blank space there. I have one of those cars...

In that case, you have to remove either the reverse switch or the selector bolt (just above the reverse switch) and fill from there. If you go this route, you'll just have to drain and then add 2.3L, since there's no way to check the fluid level.

Who would engineer something like that? That's crazy...

H

Huntermike

Who would engineer something like that? That's crazy...

I did a change today on my 6-spd. Yes, it would have been easier to have a fill plug, but now that I've done it...no biggie. It's easier than the Haldex fluid change.

• Drain old fluid...reinstall drain plug.
    remove airbox.(got to use my new clamp pliers, slick)
    Remove 19mm plastic cap by selector
    add 3" rubber hose to the bottom of funnel and fill with 2.3L of golden goodness.
    install plastic cap and don't obsess about the level being perfect

Even if I had a fill plug, it would be easiest to get the airbox out of the way anyway. The undercar splash shield doesn't even need to be removed.

40k service...Oil change, cabin air filter, spark plugs and MTF...I'm GTG for warm weather!