GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission Layout

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I'm either not using the right search terms or the information I'm looking for isn't very prevalent. Either way, I have some easy questions I need some answers to. I'm not able to find good cutaway drawings or diagrams.

1) Is the front diff inside the DSG transmission or is it a separate unit?
2) Where is the center diff? Is it also inside the transmission and is it locked?
3) The Golf R DSG transmission is transverse, how does power leave the transmission and head to the REAR of the vehicle?
4) Is the transmission unit DQ250?

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
1) Is the front diff inside the DSG transmission or is it a separate unit?
2) Where is the center diff? Is it also inside the transmission and is it locked?
3) The Golf R DSG transmission is transverse, how does power leave the transmission and head to the REAR of the vehicle?
4) Is the transmission unit DQ250?

1) Inside
2) Doesn't have one
3) Gears and a shaft
4) If it is a DSG, yes

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Google is your friend sir... just searched for "Golf R Drivetrain diagram"

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65009
Mind you this is from an MK6 but the concept is the same.
Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I needed.
1) Inside
2) Doesn't have one
3) Gears and a shaft
4) If it is a DSG, yes
Thanks. And although I said "diff" in #2 I was really referring to the setup that changes power from transverse to longitudinal which although commonly IS a diff, it's not in this case.

Question #5....if the front half shafts were removed from the transmission, would the rear drive shaft still receive power 100% of the time?

And I suppose maybe my first question should have been, is there another dual clutch that mates to the E888 that is setup as a longitudinal setup from the factory that holds similar power?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Here are the diagrams in the link above in case anyone is too lazy to click over.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Question #5....if the front half shafts were removed from the transmission, would the rear drive shaft still receive power 100% of the time?

I doubt it since the front differential is open. When I dropped a front CV axle out of an A4 I had (bolts backed out while driving), all power tried to go to that wheel, so that axle flange just spun while none of the other three wheel moved.

And I suppose maybe my first question should have been, is there another dual clutch that mates to the E888 that is setup as a longitudinal setup from the factory that holds similar power?

No.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I doubt it since the front differential is open. When I dropped a front CV axle out of an A4 I had (bolts backed out while driving), all power tried to go to that wheel, so that axle flange just spun while none of the other three wheel moved.

That's kinda what I'm getting at here. I don't feel like they'd have designed the system that way. If that particular wheel loses traction you have zero wheel drive; which is a HUGE design flaw if that is true. I believe a design element of the system is that even if the front wheels are slipping the system still can transfer 50% of the torque to the rear wheels. So I think I'm missing something important about how it works internally.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
I don't feel like they'd have designed the system that way.

They didn't, that is the nature of open differentials. The power wants to go to the path of least resistance.

If that particular wheel loses traction you have zero wheel drive

No, you have one wheel drive. However, when the car has electronic nannies, the ECU will apply brake to the wheel that is slipping and engage the haldex clutches to try to balance output between the various shafts. If the nannies weren't there and a wheel lost traction, you would do a one wheel peel.

You could just unbolt one of the front CVs and test it out. Then you will know for certain.