GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Observations of a New R Owner

jac643

Well I picked up my new 2018 Indium Grey MT R on Friday the 16th from a western Toronto dealer. After a total of 150 KMS I have some observations:

Delivery

The car was spotless inside and out. The paint appeared to be in excellent condition, no swirls or scratches. The person handling the delivery knew very little about the car except how to get in to and start the car when the key fob battery is dead. A common problem?. Keys have the proper R emblems. The car was delivered with a Golf Sportswagon manual and a previous generation nav brochure. Not very helpful. The salesperson from whom I purchased the car said he would replace them.

Driving

I was convinced before delivery that I would be able to resist an aftermarket horsepower increase. I thought the car was quick and fast enough as is. Within 5 minutes off the lot I knew I needed more--JB4 here we come. Id like more but have leased the car and don't want to void the warranty.

Under really hard cornering there is a little movement from the rear of the car. An aftermarket stabilizer bar and bushings to be installed next Tuesday will solve this problem.

I drive almost exclusively in Race mode. Even on Toronto's bad roads, most of the time I don't find Race mode to be too stiff. I like the weight of the steering in Race mode. The sound is nice too although I am installing a high flow air induction system next Tuesday as well as the sway bar. More noise. I also may disable the Soundaktor as I'm not sure about the artificial sound it makes.

I currently have also a 1972 Alfa Spider and a chipped Volvo V70R, both manual transmission and have never in 43 years of driving owned an automatic transmission car. The manual in the Golf R is the best and easiest to use manual I have ever had. A real joy. Smooth up and downshifts and really easy rev matching. Allow me to add my voice to those that say if you are on the fence between the DSG and the manual, get the manual. At the risk of being flammed, the DSG is for lazy young guys who don't know how to drive and don't want to risk embarrassing themselves because they can't shift properly. I drove the DSG and it is to be blunt a boring automatic transmission. Unless you are on the track or drag racing the faster shifts are completely irrelevant to anything. My 62-year-old wife who has also only ever owned manual transmission cars and drives mostly in the city agrees totally.

The brakes are good. Thankfully. Front assist is useful too.

The digital dash takes some figuring out. I like the nav in the center of the dash.

All in all the car is an incredible bang for the buck. My 50 year old single female neighbour, after one 2 minute drive around the block is going Saturday to buy an R. There will be three on our street. All manual transmissions.

tknj99

Ready to race!
The manual in the Golf R is the best and easiest to use manual I have ever had. A real joy. Smooth up and downshifts and really easy rev matching. Allow me to add my voice to those that say if you are on the fence between the DSG and the manual, get the manual. At the risk of being flammed, the DSG is for lazy young guys who don't know how to drive and don't want to risk embarrassing themselves because they can't shift properly. I drove the DSG and it is to be blunt a boring automatic transmission. Unless you are on the track or drag racing the faster shifts are completely irrelevant to anything. My 62-year-old wife who has also only ever owned manual transmission cars and drives mostly in the city agrees totally.

There will be three on our street. All manual transmissions.

Excellent review and advise! the quoted reference though will draw much scrutiny, there are a cult group on this forum that believe the DSG is the only option but i think its what you want out of the car. I also wanted an engaging fun experience so went with the MT. Good luck with the car!

Navi

Autocross Champion
As you should be flamed. It's called a personal choice. Driving a manual isn't exactly rocket science.

Glad you like your car.

Yeah seriously. I read original post expecting a review of their new car. All I got out of it was how manuals are better than automatics. Lol. Original poster must be super cool to drive stick and own three manual cars. Can we be friends? .

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Congrats on your new R and welcome to the forum.

I currently have also a 1972 Alfa Spider and a chipped Volvo V70R, both manual transmission and have never in 43 years of driving owned an automatic transmission car. The manual in the Golf R is the best and easiest to use manual I have ever had. A real joy. Smooth up and downshifts and really easy rev matching. Allow me to add my voice to those that say if you are on the fence between the DSG and the manual, get the manual. At the risk of being flammed, the DSG is for lazy young guys who don't know how to drive and don't want to risk embarrassing themselves because they can't shift properly. I drove the DSG and it is to be blunt a boring automatic transmission. Unless you are on the track or drag racing the faster shifts are completely irrelevant to anything. My 62-year-old wife who has also only ever owned manual transmission cars and drives mostly in the city agrees totally.

You might want to watch out before generalizing statements like this. I would expect similar comments from a 18 year old college kid, not from a matured adult.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I don't have an R but I got the same speech about the key. In the 1.5k miles of ownership I can tell why the keys die quickly.

If your just dusting off your car or cleaning your window, getting the groceries, etc you will hear the car sort of activate and deactivate, the key is in constant engagement with whatever sensor the car has to tell when its unlocked. Best advice is just leave the key in the car OR if your going outside to work on it, clean it, get groceries just leave the key inside then it won't be in range.

TQ_MKVII

Ready to race!
Allow me to add my voice to those that say if you are on the fence between the DSG and the manual, get the manual. At the risk of being flammed, the DSG is for lazy young guys who don't know how to drive and don't want to risk embarrassing themselves because they can't shift properly. I drove the DSG and it is to be blunt a boring automatic transmission. Unless you are on the track or drag racing the faster shifts are completely irrelevant to anything. My 62-year-old wife who has also only ever owned manual transmission cars and drives mostly in the city agrees totally.

My 50 year old single female neighbour, after one 2 minute drive around the block is going Saturday to buy an R. There will be three on our street. All manual transmissions.

Or perhaps its a nice compromise for people that have long commutes, people that don't want to shell out $$$ for a new clutch on top of that stage 1 or 2 tune, or even people with disabilities preventing them from driving manual.

I mean, I'm assuming not all Canadians are dickheads as much as this post leads me to believe so. Should we start talking shit on you for modifying a leased car while we're at it?

edit: Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new car!

Rpt

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your R.

As for the DSG owners, your statement is definitely generalized. Many people who own a R/GTIs are enthusiast and know how to drive a manual.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Such a strong and acrimonious opinion about people who actually prefer the DSG. To the OP, it's fine that you enjoy all the manual brings to the table, but you haven't spent enough time with the DSG. You know how I know, because of your ignorant statement about those that prefer the DSG.

FTR, I'm 51 and have been a manual owner since I bought my last DSG. I prefer the DSG for a variety of reasons, none of which your post touches on. I am not afraid of better technology, you shouldn't be either. You old fogies' should try something new instead of holding on to outdated beliefs about technology and your skewed views about "younger" (than yourselves) people.

Also, based on readings here your MT needs a plethora of mods and tweaks to get it to work comfortably. Just sayin'''', there's tradeoffs for both.

Last edited:

MadMen

Ready to race!
I just feel pretty good about being referred to as a "young" guy :)

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Have fun with your clutch Mr. DSG hater.
Sincerely,
Former 6MT Golf R owner who tuned it

P.S. Don't forget about the sloppy plastic bushings/delay valve/return spring on the "best and easiest to use manual I have ever had".

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Way to alienate yourself from everyone by making such ridiculous assumptions about people. This is coming from a 6MT guy BTW.