GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ethanol questions

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Idk if that changes anything just thinking out loud.

VW could just be saying that to cover themselves.

A standard procedure from VW for any large engine issues is to sample the fuel. If it exceeds e10 any warranty claims are void.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It does but I'm not sure how that is relevant if the concern is ethanol's corrosive properties to the fuel system. Having 4 more injectors won't solve that.

I personally think the risk is massively overstated.

I've been running straight E85 in my turbo GSXR for 4 years now.

I let it sit for 6+months at a time without draining the tank, in fact it has always had E85 in it for 4+ years. I did not use ethanol compliant hoses, injectors, or anything else in the fuel system.

The fittings still look brand new on the inside, and I've never had any issues with corrosion or anything else.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!

I let it sit for 6+months at a time without draining the tank, in fact it has always had E85 in it for 4+ years. I did not use ethanol compliant hoses, injectors, or anything else in the fuel system.

The fittings still look brand new on the inside, and I've never had any issues with corrosion or anything else.

That’s good to hear and honestly I don’t know what the long term effects are. (No one does on the mk7 yet)

But that is certainly reassuring.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
Running E30 isn't going to negatively affect any of the parts on your car. That is why you run E30 instead of E85. Running full E85, would cause issues with our fuel lines and hpfp as they aren't rating for it. The lines can dry out and crack, and the hpfp can wear and seize due to improper lubrication. Running a blend prevents this from happening.

In the US E85 pumps can vary the E% by region/month. In colder states in the winter E85 pumps can be as low as E50. Some of the warmer states don't have to drop the Ethnaol% in the winter, but doesn't mean that it is always E85. If you're trying to hit a specific ratio, get a gauge or a tester. Otherwise keep your tuning a bit more relaxed to allow for variance in the ethanol grades.

Being IS38, on ethanol you'll start to max out your lpfp. With only a JB4 you'll max out the jb4's ability to provide additional fueling before this though. The JB4 can only take the reading so far before the car thinks there's a problem. So you'll be leaving a good amount of power on the table with just the JB4 on E30 IS38.

alper

Ready to race!
That's not correct. E85 is equivalent to 105US which is 110RON. Assuming your 98RON has no ethanol in it then 3 gallons of E85 and 7 gallons of 98RON would make something close to 101RON. It's 3 points higher, not 1. Also, it cools the cylinders which reduces knock.

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php

Fuel #1
E85 (Gals)
E85 Octane
% ethanol
Fuel #2
Gas (Gals)
Gas Octane
% ethanol
Result
10.00 gallons
96.6 octane USA
25.5% ethanol (or E26)

RON MON USA
100 91.5 95.75
105 95 100

Arghhh, the US octane rating was the culprit. I was entering "98" as my main fuel's octane rating thinking 98ron but the calculator was assuming US units so that value should be changed to 93.5/94 which already creates more headroom. All fuels in Sweden include 5% Ethanol already and I was using the lowest rating for the E85 (100) as I'm not sure how much it's actually rated for.

Being IS38, on ethanol you'll start to max out your lpfp. With only a JB4 you'll max out the jb4's ability to provide additional fueling before this though. The JB4 can only take the reading so far before the car thinks there's a problem. So you'll be leaving a good amount of power on the table with just the JB4 on E30 IS38.

Car was IS38 from factory so it's a R engine, haven't done just a turbo swap (if that's what you meant about the hpfp). By "leaving a good amount of power on the table with just the JB4" do you mean I would need a full tune?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Arghhh, the US octane rating was the culprit. I was entering "98" as my main fuel's octane rating thinking 98ron but the calculator was assuming US units so that value should be changed to 93.5/94 which already creates more headroom. All fuels in Sweden include 5% Ethanol already and I was using the lowest rating for the E85 (100) as I'm not sure how much it's actually rated for.

Car was IS38 from factory so it's a R engine, haven't done just a turbo swap (if that's what you meant about the hpfp). By "leaving a good amount of power on the table with just the JB4" do you mean I would need a full tune?

Not that I like to push people away from JB4, but your car would benefit a lot from a flash tune. Getting rid of that overboost would be key as it is either too much boost or not enough with JB4 on top. Too difficult to tune something that changes how much boost pressure it generates.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone else found that fuel rail pressure is heavily affected by the amount of fuel in the tank? Running E35-E40, I am seeing drops in rail pressure when <1/2 full, but everything is peachy for the first half.

Just curious.

alper

Ready to race!
Not that I like to push people away from JB4, but your car would benefit a lot from a flash tune. Getting rid of that overboost would be key as it is either too much boost or not enough with JB4 on top. Too difficult to tune something that changes how much boost pressure it generates.

Do you mean because of the overboost delete mainly or there's other benefits to be had also? To be honest that silly feature is the main reason I've been contemplating a tune for quite a while. And I could keep the JB4 for logging or fine tuning for further upgrades, it's so versatile anyway.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Do you mean because of the overboost delete mainly or there's other benefits to be had also? To be honest that silly feature is the main reason I've been contemplating a tune for quite a while. And I could keep the JB4 for logging or fine tuning for further upgrades, it's so versatile anyway.

Better fueling with the E85 added, but mainly to counteract that silly overboost.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE

The issue isn't the hoses and injectors. Also a little different on an aluminum blocked engine vs an iron blocked engine.

Like I said in another thread:

E85 is great for power, but isn't something that doesn't come with precautions. For one it causes higher oil dilution. Look at it as reverse oil blow by. Just like oil making it past the ringlands, it goes the other way. If you change your oil yourself a lot of times you'll notice that you get the same amount of oil out as you put in. With the constant that oil seals on turbos let blow by happen, oil dilution from high cyl pressure(aka going full throttle), and windage ventilation(PCV system), you lose oil from normal day to day operation. Just like oil and intake valves not mixing, oil and E85 like to mix even less. Rule of thumb I've always heard is stick to 3000 mile oil changes if you run a lot of E85 or at the very least, shorter drain intervals than normal and have your oil analyzed. ESPECIALLY with iron blocked engines. It causes them to rust faster and breaks oil down a lot faster making it harder for the oil to do it's job.

Again this isn't gospel, so YMMV, but if you plan on keeping your ride for the long term it is something everyone may want to consider.

It does lower the life span of engine oil.

In the gixxer's case though so does having a bunch of clutches sitting in engine oil lol and load levels are significantly lower on a 400-ish pound motorcycle than a 30000-ish pound car.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Running E30 isn't going to negatively affect any of the parts on your car. That is why you run E30 instead of E85. Running full E85, would cause issues with our fuel lines and hpfp as they aren't rating for it. The lines can dry out and crack, and the hpfp can wear and seize due to improper lubrication. Running a blend prevents this from happening.

In the US E85 pumps can vary the E% by region/month. In colder states in the winter E85 pumps can be as low as E50. Some of the warmer states don't have to drop the Ethnaol% in the winter, but doesn't mean that it is always E85. If you're trying to hit a specific ratio, get a gauge or a tester. Otherwise keep your tuning a bit more relaxed to allow for variance in the ethanol grades.

This is a big one here stateside.

E85 really isn't regulated all that much, if you're going to run it, you have to test it and pay attention to what's going on.

Another thing I haven't seen anyone else mention that's good food for thought is the reason why you run out of fuel using E85 or blends is because even though it has a higher octane, there's less energy per volume in E85 so you need more of it.

Oxygenated race fuels are the same way, which most unleaded race fuels are oxygenated.