GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Drive Before You Drove A MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

meatatarian

I stopped driving sports cars and switched to hatchbacks when I moved into DC. They're great City cars and the GTI is the absolute best. This thing truly can do it all.... In most regards it's the least compromising car I've ever owned because it makes the most compromises.

In order starting in high school:
2001 Passat V6
2001 Jetta VR6
1999 BMW M3 convertible
2008 Porsche Cayman
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2018 GTI SE

frailingbanjo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6MT
2016 GTI SE mt (current)

2008 Honda Fit Sport mt
1993 Nissan pickup mt
1986 Subaru wagon mt
1980 Toyota Camry at (don't like driving automatic. Got rid of car after 4 months)
1984 Suzuki J410 mt
1982 Plymouth Horizon mt

Echo

1989 Pontiac Firebird (v6 AT)
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo (v6 AT)
1998 Acura 2.3CL (I4 5MT)
2017 VW GTI Sport (I4 6MT)

Needless to say it was a pretty big jump in... Every department

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

braveulysses

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 mk7 gti
1986 Grand Marquis (hand me down from a family member as a first car. was like driving on a living room couch)
2002 Grand Prix (first purchased car)
2011 Sonata (first ever lease)
2007 E350 4matic... I'll miss AWD but not 14mpg!

Now a 17 gti s.

Drtsk

Passed Driver's Ed
1965 Bug
1978 Chevy LUV pickup
1985 Hyundai Excel
1990 BMW 325i (all time favorite)
1997 Porsche 993 c2s (still upset for selling in 2014)
1999 Range Rover (wife’s) (biggest pile of junk ever)
2000 MB E320
2004 Porsche Cayenne S (wife’s)
2004 MB E500
2007 MB ML63 AMG (wife’s)
2008 MB CLK63 Black Series (current)
2009 BMW 135i (current, gave to daughter)
2012 BMW 650i conv.
2013 BMW F10 M5 (wife’s)
2013 BMW 335is (current, gave to son)
2014 Porsche 991.1 c2s cab (current)
2015 BMW M4 (sold it yesterday)
2015 BMW X6M (current & wife’s)
2017 Subaru WRX

2018 GTI SE DIB DSG

Could of saved a lot of money if I had bought the 1983 rabbit GTI, initially.
But I suppose, I would have missed out on many wonderful driving experiences.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Turning in my ‘09 Jetta TDI in a week. I’ll miss the 600 mile range on fill ups, along with avg mileage in the 40’s. But all that’s being replaced with lots o’ smiles. [emoji41]

dv27

2016 Honda Accord Coupe V6. Threw an intake on it and a Magnaflow catback. I miss those sounds so so much.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
came from a 2006 mazdaspeed 6.

I miss the AWD, but love the quick and nimble handling of the GTI. The speed 6 was a bit too big for my liking.

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm almost ready to sell the truck. Description so far. Need pictures.

2007 Nissan Frontier SE

4WD 6 Speed Manual

Only issues were factory recalls. Truck has been very reliable.

$15,500

New 33" tires at 95,000 miles (5,000 miles ago).

"New" OEM Wheels 95,000 miles.

New serpentine belt at 98,000 miles

New Headlights, not installed yet ($160 value)

New Front Brakes (Slotted Rotors and Pads with Steel Brake Lines) at around 93,000 miles.

Tow package with in-bumper electrical hook up.

New Front End 4" Lifted Nissan Titan Suspension Set Up (Mid-Travel Kits cost over $3,000 in parts alone):

- OEM Titan Lower Control Arms

- Aftermarket Heavy Duty Upper Control Arms by SPC

- Aftermarket High Performance Coilovers by Radflo (New Springs and Re-buildable Shocks)

- Aftermarket Bilstein Rear Shocks

- Added Leaf Spring rated 1,000 pounds of additional carry weight

- Aftermarket Heavy duty shackle

*Benefits: Way better ride quality, higher quality parts that should last another 100,000 miles, more ground clearance for rock crawling with the jeeps, and 'high' speed desert racing capability.

- Rock Sliders. The silver rail under the door that guards the side of the truck from rocks/boulders. Treated with Anti-Rust Paint. Never had an issue with someone opening their door and dinging the truck.

- Aftermarket Racing Performance Clutch and Flywheel installed around 40,000 miles.

- FlowMaster Cat-back exhaust system.

- Volant Cold Air Intake; re-usable (washable) and no oiling needed.

- ECU performance upgrade (Computer) by SuperChips. Allows you to run 87 octane. You can also read engine codes with it.

Some tiny dents and scratches around the truck, little bit of damage to the camper shell (which I did not calculate into the sale price), tailgate has the most damage, and a little bit of rear bumper/driver fender damage from bumping into a light pole.

Truck usually parked outside. Paint still in good condition, no fading as I try to wax it 1-2 a year.

Just added a fresh coat of paint sealant and wax.

Without any of these modifications, I'd list the price at $14,000 like the rest of the 100,000 mile trucks for sale. You're getting over $8,000 in parts and labor for $1,500. I know I'm losing a lot, but i also know a lot don't care whether you replace worn out parts on the truck with $200 factory shocks or $1,000 aftermarket shocks. A lot of other smaller upgrades were done to the truck as well, but too many to list.

The truck has roughly 100,000 miles on it. It's well maintained. Original owner. I never used conventional oil, always semi or full synthetic for the engine with quality filters, as i was hoping to get over 250,000 miles out of this truck. There are VQ40 Engines with 400,000 miles on them, with no major issues. Oil change is due at 105,000 miles. Last oil change took very expensive full synthetic oil that costs twice as much as mobile 1.

First Oil Change was at 1,000 miles to full synthetic. Changed the oil every 3,500 miles until the factory warranty was up at 60,000. Since then, oil was changed every 5,000 miles. I did a full service between 30-40,000 and 98,000 miles. Full Service: Transmission, Transfer case, Front differential, Rear differential, Radiator flush, Steering fluid, Brake fluid, Fuel treatment. I just saved you over $500. I add only the highest quality Full Synthetic oil; Amsoil.

The truck had a thorough inspection done at 93,000 miles and moving parts were greased. I fixed and replaced any issues on the truck around this time, as I planned on keeping the truck for another 10 years.

** I have a complete skid plate set up for sale ($600):

Oil Pan/Front Differential Steel Skid Plate, Rear Differential Skid Plate, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Radiator Skid Plate, and a brand new Aluminum Gas Tank Skid Plate.

Last edited:

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^ Is this a FS post for the truck? [emoji848]

It's a description of what I drove before the Mk7. Not officially for sale just yet as i got to do some work on the truck. Got to remove some dents, paint some stuff, and add paint sealant/wax.

Before the truck, I had a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S.

Last edited:

m3kanic

2002 Chevrolet Suburban. With a whole lot of mods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
It has been 17 mos. since I (on a whim) swung into VW to test drive a GTI. Motor trend car of the whatever and Jeremy C. raving about them. Found the “true” hot hatch! With less than a grand in mods the car just puts a smile on my face. Honestly, do not remember what I drove before anymore...nor care. :).