GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reset Service Light - No Success

topgazza

So I have a UK MK7 GT 2013. Service light is on and it's been serviced and to save going back to the garage who forgot to reset the service warning I thought I'd do it myself. However, I turned on ignition, holding down the 0.0 button. Up comes Service reset I press 0.0 again and it says "service reset". Only its not as the warning comes up again when I switch on.

Anyone any clues please ?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So I have a UK MK7 GT 2013. Service light is on and it's been serviced and to save going back to the garage who forgot to reset the service warning I thought I'd do it myself. However, I turned on ignition, holding down the 0.0 button. Up comes Service reset I press 0.0 again and it says "service reset". Only its not as the warning comes up again when I switch on.

I had the same issue. Never got it figured out.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Ah, so its a universal "problem" and not restricted to the UK ? Interesting.

Its not keeping me awake at night but is mildly irritating.

Yeah. Mine was on until I got my next oil change, which I had done at a dealer.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you have a new car it seems the reminders were set when the ECU was first uploaded so expect the change oil reminder to appear a couple of months early.

Cruiser

Ready to race!

Exactly what I went through multiple times.
What worked for me was to continue holding the button down, not lifting to select again.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie

I, too, went through this on a 2017 Mk7 GTI Sport yesterday. And, yes, I had read the owner's manual (imagine that!) and watched several videos beforehand specifically because I was concerned about pressing the Start Engine button without actually starting the car. (That, too, is a trick in itself, btw.) But pressing the 0.0 button precisely as prescribed -- and you'll have to take my word for it that I followed the instructions to the letter -- never worked. Eventually I discovered that the car responds to profanity. The trick seems to be yelling truly obscene words over and over -- the more disgusting the better. And LOUD, too -- to the point that your spouse actually comes to the garage to complain you're scaring the dog.

In fact, I have no idea why the oil service light finally cleared, but I guess I have 12 months to figure it out.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Or walk away & pretend to do someting else, then pounce on the car with a loud "Ha Ha!" and perform the reset without any issues. :cool:. Or take it to the dealers, or ignore it, I could never get it to work on previous cars either....

autofi

Passed Driver's Ed
Once the reset option appears in the MFD using the OK button on the wheel is what resets the interval on newer models.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Once the reset option appears in the MFD using the OK button on the wheel is what resets the interval on newer models.
Thank you. I'll try that next time.

And if it helps someone else, it finally dawned on me that I had to keep my feet off both the clutch and brake pedals if I wanted to switch on the ignition without also starting the engine. This, of course, is stated explicitly on p. 235 in the owner's manual.

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

My 2013 Golf reset fine, I followed a youtube video, only small issue was that I had the door open so ended up resetting the trip counter.