GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Researching the service history of a used VW

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
If someone were interested in a used VW, would it be possible to get a complete history of any and all service done by VW dealers? I imagine this information exists in a nation-wide dealer database, but I'm wondering if the dealer or owner has the authority to make this information available to a potential buyer.

For example, if a VW has been in the dealer repeatedly for problems that couldn't get fixed properly (like the infamous pano roof leaks) and the owner decided to unload it, this would be one way of vetting the car.

Thoughts?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
in 2012, I went into a BMW dealer that I suspected, based on carfax, the car was leased from and mostly serviced by. I went up to a random service advisor with a VIN and asked if he would be able to print records as I was considering purchasing the vehicle used from another non-BMW dealership.

He happily obliged me. It's worth a phone call to your local dealer to find out.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Try MyCARFAX first (free)and go from there.
You’ll get a helpful hint of service dates and things like that and at least you get the dealership name to call them and ask them if they would be willing to share the service history, keep in mind that they don’t have to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
YMMV, but when I did a free carfax on my old Passat, it didn't show some things that a paid pull did. Like the fact a shop I had taken the car to, for some body work estimates, called it a total and some how sent that to carfax... Turns out they were a really shady place and quickly got bought out by a local chain.

I kinda had a feeling because they quoted me $4500 to fix it, and I knew it wasn't that bad. Drove it home and had my trusted shop fix it for $700. Got to rock the no bumper look for awhile, it was worth it.