GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scraping/Grinding Noise when going over bumps

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
Car runs just fine but occasionally i hear a grinding or scraping noise over small bumps the same sound it makes when you bottom out over a speed bump sometimes ticking noises aswell possibly worn struts?. Anyone else ever heard something similar?

Car has just over 60k stock suspension, makes little sense for it to be breaking already.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
I have my 2018 for just over two weeks now and I took delivery with my winter rims/tires installed. I was a bit surprised that when I go over decent size bumps/dips in the road, the front wheels seem to hit a portion of the fender slightly making a kind of rubbing/scraping noise. Winter rims/tires were spec'd out to fit the car so not sure why it is doing this...not enough camber perhaps. Doesn't seem to be a big issue, no noticeable marks on tires yet but it happened a few times already (our roads absolutely suck this year tho). I'll be keeping an eye on it.

SLI

Dunno about it being "spec'ed out to fit your car. This definitely shouldn't happen with OEM wheels.

I have my 2018 for just over two weeks now and I took delivery with my winter rims/tires installed. I was a bit surprised that when I go over decent size bumps/dips in the road, the front wheels seem to hit a portion of the fender slightly making a kind of rubbing/scraping noise. Winter rims/tires were spec'd out to fit the car so not sure why it is doing this...not enough camber perhaps. Doesn't seem to be a big issue, no noticeable marks on tires yet but it happened a few times already (our roads absolutely suck this year tho). I'll be keeping an eye on it.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Now the noise is more like a creaking and happening far more often getting worried.

Do you notice it happening more in the morning before things have warmed up. I always get this creaking sound in the morning come from what seems like the top of the front struts. Asked the dealership to check into it and they showed me a PSA that the 'squeaking strut tower' sound (or something like that) was considered normal by VW. Mine hasn't got worse and has happened from pretty much new. I am at 34k though...

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The creaking seems to be a common issue with cars stock and lowered. Not sure if its serious. Never had a scraping sound though.

I’m on DG springs. After 5 months, my car makes slight creaking sounds when I turn my wheel at a stand still, or going up my driveway and going over speed bumps. Not loud enough to annoy me but its noticeable if the radio isnt on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
The creaking seems to be a common issue with cars stock and lowered. Not sure if its serious. Never had a scraping sound though.

I’m on DG springs. After 5 months, my car makes slight creaking sounds when I turn my wheel at a stand still, or going up my driveway and going over speed bumps. Not loud enough to annoy me but its noticeable if the radio isnt on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like scratching on a chalk board or like trees scraping or something never happened until like 2 days ago before that it was silent.

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you notice it happening more in the morning before things have warmed up. I always get this creaking sound in the morning come from what seems like the top of the front struts. Asked the dealership to check into it and they showed me a PSA that the 'squeaking strut tower' sound (or something like that) was considered normal by VW. Mine hasn't got worse and has happened from pretty much new. I am at 34k though...

I suppose just seemed kind of random never had sound before im at 67k kilometers now.

oheyitskev

Ready to race!
It sounds like scratching on a chalk board or like trees scraping or something never happened until like 2 days ago before that it was silent.
Mine was doing g the same thing over dips and speed bumps, took to VW and it was a bad ball joint, scraping sound stopped, however the car still makes the creaking almost rattling noise, and they said they didn't find anything else. Drives me nuts, mine only does it after I've driven the car around for a bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk