GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ran Into Debris on the Freeway

DBMk7

So I was driving this morning to class and I was checking my right blind spot before lane changing, only to lane change into debris that hit the driver side of my front bumper; at least only the bottom portion so not too bad of damage of
a bit of an eye sore. I don't know whether to hit up my insurance to get it dealt with through that route, or try and fix it myself. I also can't seem to tell if the black marks from the debris have dented the bumper just cause I didn't have a lot of time to myself today. I'm gonna post a picture in the morning, so any advice would be really appreciated.

adam1991

Banned
Bumper covers are easy and cheap to fix well, at a body shop.

If it's just black marks, I'd let it go. But that's me.

cb1111

Not much to say without photos but some of the marks may clean off if properly done. Don't try to fix it until you've posted photos.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
You should be able to collect assuming you have comprehensive and the cost to repair is more than the deductible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DBMk7

Carrr.jpg here's the pic I know it's not a HUGE thing, but it just bugs me since it's still a hit on my car :(

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Clean it first, then you can use an off the self mild compound and then wax, I don’t see anything to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
That looks like it'll definitely buff out, and you may not even really need any compound or anything. You can check for actual scratches by running your thumb nail over the scuffs, and if your nail catches, there is a scratch that to truly be fixed well will need paint work. Otherwise, it will honestly probably come of very easily

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
That looks like it'll definitely buff out, and you may not even really need any compound or anything. You can check for actual scratches by running your thumb nail over the scuffs, and if your mail catches, there is a scratch that you truly be fixed well need paint work.

I disagree. It's plastic. It's not metal bodywork that will rust.

cb1111

It should clean right off. Be very gentle.

First, wash the area with some dish soap like Dawn. Don't try to rub off the spot - you're only trying to get road grime off. Use plenty of water.

Two. Use something like a liquid bug remover (or WD-40 like Fed said) and GENTLY clean the area using lots of fluid and very little rubbing with a microfiber cloth. Don't worry if it all doesn't come off. Don't rub hard.

Three. Wash the area again. If all is good then go to step 5. If not, then

Four. Get some polishing compound. Use lots of compound and very little rubbing. Wash the area.

Five. Get a quality polish and cover the entire area.

Six. Get a quality wax and cover the area

Seven. Step back and admire your work.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm not convinced it'll buff out. To my older eyes it looks like some of the paint was removed and it is not all stuff left from what you hit. That being said try the above ideas first they are good ones.

nice location for stickers ( aka HP adders!)

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
VW plastic bumpers are black plastic under the paint and there’s no black showing in the affected area in the OP’s picture.

OP; If you run the edge of your finger nail over it, you’ll be able to feel if any paint’s been removed. If not, as others have said, it should all polish out if you use a mildly abrasive polishing compound.