GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Day time running lights off?

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys can I turn off the day time running lights. So how ?

You can add the DRL option in your MIB menu via OBD11 or VCDS. I believe you can then turn them on or off within MIB (too lazy to wander out to garage right now to confim, will do so in the morning if no one else has spoken up by then).

Here's the coding to add DRL option in MIB menu:
DRL Option in MIB menU
09 - Central Electrics
Adaptation - 10
(2)-Daytime Running Lights
Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge moeglich
Default: Nicht aktiv (Not Active) Change to: Aktiv (Active)

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Why, you don't like to be extra visible to other drivers like more close calls?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Why, you don't like to be extra visible to other drivers like more close calls?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was also wondering why the OP would want to turn them off, when they’re there to increase your car’s visibility to others.

gs2online

Ready to race!
I was also wondering why the OP would want to turn them off, when they’re there to increase your car’s visibility to others.

Well I never need day time running lights. I just would the option of turning them off. And if you can't see
A 2ton vehicle on the road. You probably shouldn't be driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I live in L.A. and mine is red so I have them off but if I lived in a bad weather city and my GTI was of a dark color I would have them on.

If you leave them on, you can code them to stay on while using your turn signal.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'll third why disable them. Even before DRL's I turned on my headlights. I can tell you for a fact it saved me many times from someone pulling out in front of me from a stop sign. Especially young and old drivers. There's plenty of studies to support it, and I'm betting insurance company lawyers know it too. I don't think they would have much trouble arguing you are partially at fault for an accident for disabling a safety feature. Depending on your state, it can mean getting a partial settlement or even no settlement. I was on a jury that found a plaintiff 50% responsible for an accident for merely slowing down coming up a red light by downshifting to first gear, and not using his brake lights. He gave no warning he was stopping. You youngsters will think that's crazy, but lawyers will exploit every regulation to convince a jury you're at least partially at fault.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
there are lots of folks driving 2 ton vehicles that should not be driving. Do what you want but in the don't do this camp.

or you could just tint the heck out of them.......:)

gs2online

Ready to race!
there are lots of folks driving 2 ton vehicles that should not be driving. Do what you want but in the don't do this camp.

or you could just tint the heck out of them.......:)

It's all good. Just thought it would be cool to have the option of turning them off when I wanted to. No big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LI_GTI_Guy

Ready to race!
You can add the DRL option in your MIB menu via OBD11 or VCDS. I believe you can then turn them on or off within MIB (too lazy to wander out to garage right now to confim, will do so in the morning if no one else has spoken up by then).

Here's the coding to add DRL option in MIB menu:
DRL Option in MIB menU
09 - Central Electrics
Adaptation - 10
(2)-Daytime Running Lights
Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge moeglich
Default: Nicht aktiv (Not Active) Change to: Aktiv (Active)

I can confirm this coding works and allows you to turn the DRLs on and off as you wish in the MIB car setting menus.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
I'll third why disable them. Even before DRL's I turned on my headlights. I can tell you for a fact it saved me many times from someone pulling out in front of me from a stop sign. Especially young and old drivers. There's plenty of studies to support it, and I'm betting insurance company lawyers know it too. I don't think they would have much trouble arguing you are partially at fault for an accident for disabling a safety feature. Depending on your state, it can mean getting a partial settlement or even no settlement. I was on a jury that found a plaintiff 50% responsible for an accident for merely slowing down coming up a red light by downshifting to first gear, and not using his brake lights. He gave no warning he was stopping. You youngsters will think that's crazy, but lawyers will exploit every regulation to convince a jury you're at least partially at fault.
Problem with studies is the investigator has a premise in this case drl is safer and will only report the data to support their viewpoint. If there is contradictory analysis they don't report it. That's why one day coffee is good for you and the next day it is bad. You can see it with climate stuff. 97% only agree that the earth is warming but there is no 97% on the reason why but you wouldn't know that listening to msm

It makes no sense to me that in broad daylight those stupid running lights are going to make any difference at all. They aren't that bright. Anyway if it's true drl are a safety feature would not fully on headlights be better. If so why are they not required?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
OP goes to Sonic a lot and doesnt like when the servers think his headlights are on and run over to ask him if he needs anything