GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger under-seat storage drawer

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sure I watched a review of the new Golf that featured a storage drawer under the front passenger seat. Our new Golf bought on 1 March doesn't have this and, to be fair, I cannot find mention of it in the specification.
Am I mistaken, and this is not included in current models?

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
Poking about under there today, I felt a cable sheath containing what I think are a couple of cables. There is the same thing under the driver's seat.
I couldn't work out what they are connected to or their function. We don't have heated seats and I can't think why else they should be there. Just intrigued, that's all.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I'm sure I watched a review of the new Golf that featured a storage drawer under the front passenger seat. Our new Golf bought on 1 March doesn't have this and, to be fair, I cannot find mention of it in the specification.

I sourced the parts needed to add the RH drawer to my 2017 US-spec golf but then noticed that there is a module of some sort under the RH seat that would interfere with the drawer. I’ve read it’s the Bluetooth transceiver or something involved in wireless data.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Just picked up my new car yesterday and it does not have a draw either

You not got your Limestone Grey Golf Match any more Mikeyd1? Seem to remember you’ve only had it a few weeks Didn’t you like it?

What model Golf have you replaced it with?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

This has been discussed recently on another Golf forum. Most models until recently had a drawer under the front passenger seat and some models also had one under the driver’s seat too.

It seems that there are other parts that are no longer being fitted, or there’s been a (perceived?) downgrade in the quality of materials used;

- door mirror attachment bolts used to be covered. Now the bolts are exposed.
- battery cover no longer fitted.
- VW went through a period of not fitting covers on Isofix fixings on rear seat. I think they may have started fitting them again.
- drawers no longer fitted under the front seats

On other models that I’ve read or watched reviews on;

New Polo;
- headliner mounted grab handles no longer fitted
- interior door cards are hard plastic; no cloth insert
- the spring loaded cover over the tailgate locking catch, along the bottom of the boot opening no longer fitted

New T-Roc
- hard plastic interior door cards and the dashboard’s all hard plastic too; in fact AFAIK, there are no soft touch interior plastic trim at all.
- as with the Polo, the spring loaded cover over the tailgate catch isn’t fitted.

I know it’s in VW’s best interests to cuts costs and maximise profits, and Dieselgate costs have to be paid for. However, it’s sad to see and hear of these omissions/changes, which probably don’t result in much of a build cost saving per car, but overall probably represents a significant sum, bearing in mind the number of vehicles VW build. Cost cutting measures like the use of hard scratchy interior plastics could alienate some potential new customers and also existing customers. I wonder how far VW will take their cost cutting / penny pinching on the mk8 Golf?

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
You not got your Limestone Grey Golf Match any more Mikeyd1? Seem to remember you’ve only had it a few weeks Didn’t you like it?

What model Golf have you replaced it with?
Alright mate no I took advantage of the 30day no quibble exchange policy on my car and got a Brand new 18 plate se in indium grey.ive never had a Brand new car so I thought this is about the best opportunity I got and not lose a penny on my other car.here some pics.

Attachments

• 212201818268.jpg
    212201818268.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 2,337
  • 2122018182628.jpg
    2122018182628.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 2,626

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
This has been discussed recently on another Golf forum. Most models until recently had a drawer under the front passenger seat and some models also had one under the driver’s seat too.

It seems that there are other parts that are no longer being fitted, or there’s been a (perceived?) downgrade in the quality of materials used;

- door mirror attachment bolts used to be covered. Now the bolts are exposed.
- battery cover no longer fitted.
- VW went through a period of not fitting covers on Isofix fixings on rear seat. I think they may have started fitting them again.
- drawers no longer fitted under the front seats

Now you mention it, I noticed that there's no battery cover or covers on the Isofix fixings. Neither of these particularly bother me, although I'm not sure what advantage there may be to having a battery cover under the bonnet.

I honestly didn't notice any door mirror attachment bolts! I'll have a look when I'm next out.

One thing I did notice, but didn't think anything about, is the small hatch inside the boot in the middle just near the edge. I believe it's described as a place to store a warning triangle, although I can't imagine how such a thing could possibly fit in there; it's only a few inches wide.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
I sourced the parts needed to add the RH drawer to my 2017 US-spec golf but then noticed that there is a module of some sort under the RH seat that would interfere with the drawer. I’ve read it’s the Bluetooth transceiver or something involved in wireless data.

I wonder if that could explain the cables I mentioned, but they are sited under both front seats. They don't look like antennae; more like connecting cables for something or other.

We're going in to VW tomorrow to ask them to sort out some things for us (can't get Car Net to work, can't connect to mobile phone hot spot, door mirror won't dip in reverse), so I'll ask them at the same time.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Alright mate no I took advantage of the 30day no quibble exchange policy on my car and got a Brand new 18 plate se in indium grey.ive never had a Brand new car so I thought this is about the best opportunity I got and not lose a penny on my other car.here some pics.

Nice. Indium grey is one of my favourite colours for the mk7.5 Golf.

Enjoy your new car. :)

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Now you mention it, I noticed that there's no battery cover or covers on the Isofix fixings. Neither of these particularly bother me, although I'm not sure what advantage there may be to having a battery cover under the bonnet.

I honestly didn't notice any door mirror attachment bolts! I'll have a look when I'm next out.

They’re easy to spot. They’re actually torx head screws rather than bolts. There are two of them and they’re aluminium coloured.

One thing I did notice, but didn't think anything about, is the small hatch inside the boot in the middle just near the edge. I believe it's described as a place to store a warning triangle, although I can't imagine how such a thing could possibly fit in there; it's only a few inches wide.

I’m assuming VW sell one that does fit. If they do, it’s likely to be more expensive than one you could buy off eBay though!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I wonder if that could explain the cables I mentioned, but they are sited under both front seats. They don't look like antennae; more like connecting cables for something or other.

We're going in to VW tomorrow to ask them to sort out some things for us (can't get Car Net to work, can't connect to mobile phone hot spot, door mirror won't dip in reverse), so I'll ask them at the same time.

I'm pretty sure there are cable harnesses under both seats, for various things (power recline, weight sensors, airbags, etc), but there is a plastic module with a harness plugged into it, and is mounted to the bottom RH seat frame that is not present in the LH (driver's) seat frame which has the drawer. I think EU and US cars may have completely different communications setups, so it will be interesting to hear back what you find.

What's stupid is that the module itself is small, but has a large mounting bracket. VW easily could have positioned the module higher and closer to the rear of the seat, and had room for the drawer. Or maybe they didn't want it to be prone to getting kicked by passengers in the back seat.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

For the dipping kerbside mirror, you need to set this up before it will work;

Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine.
Select reverse gear.
Select the nearside mirror on the mirror control knob on the driver’s door (turn it to ‘L’)
Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see the kerb.
Take car out of reverse gear and return to neutral, or ‘P’ if your car is DSG.

The nearside mirror should now be set to dip so you can see the kerb each time you select reverse, provided you leave the mirror adjustment knob set to ‘L’. Mirror will return to the normal position when you either (a) drive forward and reach a predetermined speed, which I think is 10 mph or (b) remove the ignition key.

If your mirrors are iced over or misty, you’ll need to move the mirror adjustment knob to the heating position. While your mirror heating is functioning, you’ll temporarily loose the dipping mirror function as the adjustment knob needs to be in the ‘L’ position for this to work.

Last edited:

Fanis1

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure there are cable harnesses under both seats, for various things (power recline, weight sensors, airbags, etc), but there is a plastic module with a harness plugged into it, and is mounted to the bottom RH seat frame that is not present in the LH (driver's) seat frame which has the drawer. I think EU and US cars may have completely different communications setups, so it will be interesting to hear back what you find.

What's stupid is that the module itself is small, but has a large mounting bracket. VW easily could have positioned the module higher and closer to the rear of the seat, and had room for the drawer. Or maybe they didn't want it to be prone to getting kicked by passengers in the back seat.
I believe what you are referring to, might be the Bluetooth module, since that's where it's placed.