GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

no worries, thanks for the reply.
i've spoken with audison via email who have said that theirs comes complete with wiring, however it requires and amp and dsp which totals over $2.5K, which 1. im not interested in spending, and 2. could get a way better system for the money.

i have a non -b helix box lined up on ebay, however when i sent my VIN was told it would not be compatible post week 21/15. If there has been success on here with fitting these to the mib2 platforms thats good enough for me. Not after doof doof sound, just want something a little deeper, the stock system is nowhere as good as the mk6

KFiddy

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought the box type helix in Adelaide and the dealer also quoted me on the round one, I just had to supply the part number as he had never heard of it, I have a programming dongle here in Adelaide

I just spoke to two vw stealers one of whom said the “b” version is discontinued but could source the other direct from Germany and the second said neither available at all.
Love a bit of dealer continuity!
Kfiddy are you interested in hiring out your dongle so to speak?

KFiddy

Passed Driver's Ed
I spoke to spare parts at solitare mile end, no problem doing a dongle hire contact me when you get your box, btw the box in the boot version is also great $650 I was quoted $842 for the round one

bren1

I registered specifically to say thanks for this thread and all who have contributed!

Based on the links and tips I was able to DIY the Helix into my 2017 Sport in about 3 hours - probably would have gone a lot quicker if my DIN-removal keys didn't click and get stuck! Based on my experience at the dealer (below), I was super hesitant, but really would recommend this to someone with no experience provided they understand how fragile plastic trim can be.

The local dealer I purchased from in September (Leith in Cary, NC) had no idea what they were looking at when I brought my Helix (purchased elsewhere) in 2 weeks ago to install. They originally quoted me 2 hours over the phone when I booked, but changed it to "around 6" when they saw it "wasn't plug and play like the Fender" - when I declined they recommended I take it to an aftermarket installer. Neither the tech nor the service advisor believed it was a part offered by Volkswagen, insisting that theirs was plug and play. They literally used an Atlas in the showroom with the Fender system as their proof.

The icing on the cake was when they offered to charge me to program it once I eventually installed it! Guess I'll be looking elsewhere for major service.

Compuwhiz

Well, the Helix is pretty much "plug and play" except for minor radio & trim removal that any dealership service department should have no issue with.

Leith is one of the dealers I called about programming, and yeah they told me there would be a charge also.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I registered specifically to say thanks for this thread and all who have contributed!

I'm happy the thread was useful!

Unfortunately your dealership experience was similar to many others. From the time I started looking into the Helix up until now, I'm still completely surprised at the lack of knowledge and understanding that dealerships have for this VW ACCESSORY.

VW even has a full website dedicated to it, which is linked here, and should be much more helpful to VW dealers than it is to the end user. Definitely not a website for consumer consumption, but it's definitely served its purpose for us either way.

harryw999

Hello all! I've posted this elsewhere but I'm still at a loss so wondering if anyone can help me here:
So, my 2015 Golf R came with an MIB1 Composition Media, anyone who has one of these will understand why I want it gone (especially after paying so much for the car!)
I purchased an MIB1 Discover Pro kit - all of the functions seem to work apart from the driving modes (I read somewhere that this might happen and I never take my car out of race anyway so I'm not bothered!)

The issue is the sound. I have the Helix subwoofer in the boot (VW installed this, not me).
I have no sound. The only way for me to get sound is to turn on the infotainment system, unplug the subwoofer and plug it back in whilst the unit is on and the light on the subwoofer turns green and it functions. When it does function it sounds no where near as good either and I have to do this every time i turn on the radio!
Thinking it was just the head unit, I got hold of another Discover Pro (this time MIB2) and it has exactly the same problem. When I plug in the composition media back in the sound is perfect.
Can anyone suggest anything? The subwoofer is fine because it works with my composition media and the DP units are fine because they both have the same problem.

Blake

Does anyone know if this will work in my 2016 e-golf SEL? As far as I know I have the Discovery Pro infotainment with regular speakers. I'm assuming that the mounting location will be similar to the Golf R. (slightly raised floor in spare tire well)

AJ15

Ready to race!
Forgive me if it's been posted (I haven't found it)... what are people currently paying for the Soundbox? I'm seeing $599 from VW. A local dealer quoted $599, too. ECS is $537 and VWPartsOutlet is $494.

FWIW, a local dealer quoted $265 for labor for installation of the Soundbox. I'd probably try this one DIY given the resources I've seen posted online.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Forgive me if it's been posted (I haven't found it)... what are people currently paying for the Soundbox? I'm seeing $599 from VW. A local dealer quoted $599, too. ECS is $537 and VWPartsOutlet is $494.

FWIW, a local dealer quoted $265 for labor for installation of the Soundbox. I'd probably try this one DIY given the resources I've seen posted online.

Hi AJ15, I have never tracked pricing, at least for the purpose of this thread so I'm not sure where the best deals are currently. What you are likely to see when you search older posts are closeout prices from the previous revision of the Helix sub (~$250), where the new "B" part number is listed at full price, or with some discounts or rebates when available.

If you're comfortable with the steps in the DIYs and instructions listed here, it's definitely something you can tackle yourself. If you're not comfortable with anything in the steps $265 for the install isn't horrible to my mind (about 2-ish hours labor in most shops).

damien_margetts

Hi all. Very keen to get one of these helix sub for my 2015 mk7 golf r. Has anyone found cheapest place to source? I'm based in Sydney and cost from Germany is about 850 which is astranomical!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

hurtmypony

Passed Driver's Ed

Don't overlook that you get a 15% VW "mail-in" rebate off whatever turns out to be your price from Volkswagen when purchased from a participating dealer.

amp39

Hi all! Saludos from Spain!

I have the Helix sound system installed on my Golf VII Tsi. I find it a good improvement over the stock sound but I think there is still room from improvement.

Has anyone tried the Helix with better speakers? I thought about upgrading the stock ones to something like Gladen Audio, but as the Helix is apparently suited to work with the stock speakers, I am not sure if it would be a worthwhile improvement or not.

Any ideas or experience?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk