GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex failure symptoms... Need advice

josh_

Passed Driver's Ed
Heya Mk7 R friends,

So I have had my Mk7 R now for about 8 months. I absolutely adore this car, but I concerned about my Haldex.

Out here in Cali, we have had a very dry winter until this week. I have read a ton about the Haldex failures on the early R's, S3's and A3's. Yesterday. after a solid day of rain, I really got on the gas at a stop sign. The front wheels spun big time, and didn't seem to recover as I would expect from a AWD car (I am very familiar with how the Haldex works, and I come from a strong background of owning Audi and Subaru's). I then did it a few more times at each stop sign. Same result.

When I got home I checked what "version" of the rear diff I have. Sure enough it is an "F" which is apparently one of the versions that seems to crap out right around my mileage (29k ish). I also pulled all codes with my OBD11, and the 4wd section had no codes.

On my way to work today I turned off the ECS, and accelerated hard as I got onto the hiway (nice and straight, loooong onramp). The front wheels hopped BADLY, and was not able to recover until I let off the accelerator.

So my questions for those in the know are;

1. Are these clear signs I have an issue?
2. I heard the failure can happen, but may not throw a code. Anyone have experience with that?
3. I should probably head to a dirt patch and have someone watch my wheels as I accelerate hard yeah? See if the front spins freely?

Thankfully I am in the drivetrain warranty period, and it is a CPO, so I have even more time. But I am really starting to feel like my AWD is not functioning properly.

I appreciate all and any guidance or help y'all can provide!

Cheers!

Josh
2015 Golf R
Haldex build date 7/14

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
You will most likely need a rear diff. Ive replaced 3 or 4 early versions and they all exhibit loss of rear power transfer. Front wheels will spin. You will need to bring it into a dealer and have the warranty it. It will be under warranty, and 100% of the time they don't throw a fault

Last edited:

josh_

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all!

So on my way home I took a side road I know has a few open gravel areas to test it out. I launched the car hard while watching the rear wheel via the side mirror set at an angle I could see the whole rear wheel.

Sure enough, front wheels spin away while the rear just rolled at the pace of the car (like 5 mph). The rear end of the car is clearly not getting any power. It also made a bit of noise that came from the vicinity of the rear diff. Like maybe things slipping that shouldn't be....

So off to the dealer. Thankfully the car is box stock, and under warranty.

Nestor = I crawled under my car and took a pick of the bottom of the diff with my phone. It is just behind where the driveshaft meets the diff (Icould reach it with my arm no problem). There is 9 digit code that is cast into the diff housing/case. Then there is a 10th digit (a letter) that is molded next to the cast numbers. Here is a pic...

Thanks again for the quick replies. I will follow up just in case anyone is interested.

Cheers!

josh

Last edited:

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
You will most likely need a rear diff. Ive replaced 3 or 4 early versions and they all exhibit loss of rear power transfer. Front wheels will spin. You will need to bring it into a dealer and have the warranty it. It will be under warranty, and 100% of the time they don't throw a fault

What part number and/or build dates have the issue?

Edit: And do you also know the PN and/or build dates for the haldex units? I suspect that is the root cause.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
sure it's not just the pump?....as quite a few pump failures over here on other VAG cars with the genV Haldex...

josh_

Passed Driver's Ed
@golfdave

I hope it is the pump. It should be a shorter repair if it s the the pump. I just want it fixed whatever is wrong... :(

josh

josh_

Passed Driver's Ed
Soooo

They say nothing is wrong. *sigh*. They put it up in the air and all 4 wheels moved. They then tested the "voltage" to the AWD system and it passed that as well. They also checked the fluid level and for debris, which they said it passed that as well. The explanation for the code was pretty ridiculous.

So, I guess I need to recreate it and see if they will look at it again. Pretty disappointing news frankly...

josh

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
sounds like pump....starts as intermittent ...just have to wait until it really disengages fully...