GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I just don't see where this does anything. You get 50% to the rear wheels when the fronts are slipping. On decel in Sport mode the rear wheels are connected. When cruising the Haldex is disconnected. It seems to me the clutches would be operating more often with this tune, increasing wear on this non-serviceable, very expensive part, and you'll have no warranty. Perhaps if you are a professional driver and earning money, you won't mind spending up to $5,000 for a new one.

It's no different then getting an ECU or TCU tune.
VW / Audi has a hardware limit, and they back it off xx% so the Haldex lasts longer.

As for where the exact modifications are being made, we will likely need to wait and hear back at Wookies in the Woods. I feel like the page they have on their web site is from Haldex version 1 - 5...meanwhile there was a lot of changes to the Haldex system over those 5 iterations.

If we can get a tune to be more like what they have in the RS3 / S3 FL, I will be happy. I feel too much FWD bias still. The S3 FL felt really good, and I was disappointed with the R...though I am on winter tires and haven't pushed it in corners yet.

Last edited:

Mk72015

Ready to race!
You sure the Haldex is actually working? I had a buddy with a 3+ R and when he was spinning that bad it was because the Haldex unit was busted. That failed (another friend had a 2015 A3 with the same failure) without throwing any kind of CEL or warning, had to get out VCDS and scan, then they got a code about Haldex being broken.

Maybe your hybrid is producing a ton of power, but if an R is spinning at those speeds I tend to think something is broken.

I mean its only when on launch control, i dont think my Haldex is bad because at the track i was able to cut a 1.61 60ft

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It's no different then getting an ECU or TCU tune.
VW / Audi has a hardware limit, and they back it off xx% so the Haldex lasts longer.

As for where the exact modifications are being made, we will likely need to wait and hear back at Wookies in the Woods.
I feel like the page they have on their web site is from Haldex version 1 - 5...meanwhile there was a lot of changes to the Haldex system over those 5 iterations.

If we can get a tune to be more like what they have in the RS3 / S3 FL, I will be happy. I feel too much FWD bias still. The S3 FL felt really good, and I was disappointed with the R...though I am on winter tires and haven't pushed it in corners yet.

I bet they'll tell you just like the DSG tuners tell you. Basically nothing. They'll claim it's proprietary. Good excuse.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So you want to know the 6 herbs and spices, the secret family recipe, what hours of work has or hasn't resulted in a profitable product so you can inspect it? I'm not going to be a guinea pig for this flash, but I'm completely fine with tuners not putting their tuning methodologies out there for anyone to poach without putting in the time.

Now I remember why I had you blocked.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So you want to know the 6 herbs and spices, the secret family recipe, what hours of work has or hasn't resulted in a profitable product so you can inspect it? I'm not going to be a guinea pig for this flash, but I'm completely fine with tuners not putting their tuning methodologies out there for anyone to poach without putting in the time.

Now I remember why I had you blocked.

Well, when a company states their DSG tune increases clamping force but refuses to tell me by how much, or by how much it increases power handling capability, they're not getting $800 from me. I don't spend that kind of money on the unknown.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Well, when a company states their DSG tune increases clamping force but refuses to tell me by how much, or by how much it increases power handling capability, they're not getting $800 from me. I don't spend that kind of money on the unknown.

Looking at United web site, I don't think I would personally deal with them neither. I had emailed them a few months ago, and never even got a reply. I would be a little hesitant to deal with them on that fact more then anything.

However, Daryl@HPA will be getting my business regardless of cost over United. I don't think they will tell you what they are changing that you are requesting, NO ONE does, that is just pure stupidity. They will show you the results however and HPA seems to have a great track record with the community in general, and showing you exactly what you are buying.

Daryl did reply to an email from last year, and advised they don't have anything ready yet, but they are going the same path as United with a flash.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
So what I have found out is that the 50/50 max torque split is limited to the stock numbers. So the Golf R does 280 lbs. ft. of torque. So the most torque the rear wheels will see is 140 lbs. ft. of torque. Now you throw the Iroz IMS650 kit with the stock block tune. 50/50 split would see 210 lbs. ft. sent to the back since the Iroz kit does 420 lbs. ft. But the stock Haldex software still limits the rear torque to 140 lbs. ft. The UM Haldex tune changes that to allow an actual 50/50 split.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So what I have found out is that the 50/50 max torque split is limited to the stock numbers. So the Golf R does 280 lbs. ft. of torque. So the most torque the rear wheels will see is 140 lbs. ft. of torque. Now you throw the Iroz IMS650 kit with the stock block tune. 50/50 split would see 210 lbs. ft. sent to the back since the Iroz kit does 420 lbs. ft. But the stock Haldex software still limits the rear torque to 140 lbs. ft. The UM Haldex tune changes that to allow an actual 50/50 split.
Tell me how you found this info and I will be happy to see it corroborated. I would very much like what you're saying with a big turbo car.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Tell me how you found this info and I will be happy to see it corroborated. I would very much like what you're saying with a big turbo car.

Info is from Jeff Atwood at United Motorsports.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Info is from Jeff Atwood at United Motorsports.
Good man. Now tell him to put some info on the website that explains everything in layman's terms and he'll convince a lot of haters and skeptics haha.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

How can that happen without slipping the clutch pack, and burning out the clutches?

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
How can that happen without slipping the clutch pack, and burning out the clutches?
Similar to how the the DSG software tune increases clamp pressure on the clutch packs to hold more torque, a software tune to the BorgWarner haldex differential can increase the pressure on the clutch packs allowing the rear differential to put more torque to the rear axles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

You are neglecting to account for the gearing in the transmission. In first gear, second gear, etc. you get much more than 280 ft-lbs transmitted to the wheels. That is why a car is dynoed in whatever gear is closest to 1:1 ratio.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Similar to how the the DSG software tune increases clamp pressure on the clutch packs to hold more torque, a software tune to the BorgWarner haldex differential can increase the pressure on the clutch packs allowing the rear differential to put more torque to the rear axles.

I don't see how it's possible without stopping the front wheels from turning, since the wheels with the least traction receive all of the power. The front brakes might do this but you would need to sacrifice a whole lot of forward motion (and time). Not something you want to do if you're racing.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I don't see how it's possible without stopping the front wheels from turning, since the wheels with the least traction receive all of the power. The front brakes might do this but you would need to sacrifice a whole lot of forward motion (and time). Not something you want to do if you're racing.
Hopefully we can get clarification on these concerns from someone that attends WITW this year.