GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
How do you have it now? Do you suggest to start low and increase? I'm at 50%
Pretty sure mine was all the way up from the factory, and I liked it closer to half. Just started lowering it until it was too low for me, then tweaked it back up a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s definitely a gain adjustment for the sub. You can see it labeled on the pp50dsp which is what the soundbox amp essentially is. Since they relegated programming to the dongle and pulled all the dip switches out, they just moved it and the status light over to the other side next to the sub cables.

https://images.crutchfieldonline.co...4/874/products/2012/18/975/g975PP50DSP-F.jpeg

As stated in PP50dsp manual..
6. Subwoofer Volume
This control is used to adjust the output volume of
the connected subwoofer.
Please note: If the volume of the subwoofer is too
high, it can be decreased with this knob.

I have a feeling the factory default is 100%

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it just me or sound is better/louder over BT then Apple car play?

Edit : it seems to be because of the volume menu Bluetooth set to high

Last edited:

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Better a tad subjective. There’s an option in the mib menus to boost bt volume to make it louder. It’s likely you probably have this set.

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m a bit disappointed.

Before I installed the Helix I was able to crank the volume pretty high without distortion...

Now with the helix the bass is fine but the mids/high are crap at higher volume.

I tried pretty much everything from flat’nd EQ, lower volume screw, programmed with dongle..

It seem like the speaker are amped now and did not need too.

I’m considering uninstalling and refund it.

Mark315

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m a bit disappointed.

Before I installed the Helix I was able to crank the volume pretty high without distortion...

Now with the helix the bass is fine but the mids/high are crap at higher volume.

I tried pretty much everything from flat’nd EQ, lower volume screw, programmed with dongle..

It seem like the speaker are amped now and did not need too.

I’m considering uninstalling and refund it.

Really surprised to here this. Mine installed perfectly in my 7.5. Sounds great

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
Really surprised to here this. Mine installed perfectly in my 7.5. Sounds great

Do you have yours programmed to 57? It seems like there is a bunch of amp'd bass still coming out of the speakers and that's what make it sound like crap.

I bought the old non b version so maybe that's why?

Will be calling dealer later today...

Last edited:

Mark315

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have yours programmed to 57? It seems like there is a bunch of amp'd bass still coming out of the speakers and that's what make it sound like crap.

I bought the old non b version so maybe that's why?

Will be calling dealer later today...

Mine is a B version. Hasn't been programmed and doesn't need it, sounds awesome.

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Does anyone happen to know the wiring for the subwoofer out? I'm planning on installing this on an R with spare tire and afaik the stock helix sub won't fit under the trunk floor with a spare.
I'm planning on using an uberstealthaudio box with a single 8" woofer. I'd like to run it off of the Helix instead of hooking up a whole separate amp, so I was planning on paralleling the wires out of the Helix and running them to the woofer.

Crazy or doable?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Does anyone have a pin-out diagram for the 20 pin connector that plugs into the Soundbox amp/dsp? Or alternatively a part number for the harness. I don't see it at the Audiotec Fischer website. thanks!

I have it, but i cannot access my files until Sunday evening. Shoot me a note on Sunday if someone hasn't already posted it by then. I need to put it on my website so it's available to everyone. :cool:

Sorry! I forgot about this. Here is what I have, provided by the fine folks at Helix:

Does anyone happen to know the wiring for the subwoofer out? I'm planning on installing this on an R with spare tire and afaik the stock helix sub won't fit under the trunk floor with a spare.
I'm planning on using an uberstealthaudio box with a single 8" woofer. I'd like to run it off of the Helix instead of hooking up a whole separate amp, so I was planning on paralleling the wires out of the Helix and running them to the woofer. Crazy or doable?

I'm sure it's doable. Just know that the Helix output has four wires. It appears their subwoofer is two dual-voicecoil subwoofers at 40W each. What I don't know is exactly how is the best way to rewire those four outputs to two or even one voicecoil. In my setup, since I use an amplifier, I only use two pairs of the wires. But, if you do that, then you wouldn't get the full output of the Helix amp.

The specs I see say that the subwoofer output is for a 2-ohm load. If you choose a 2-ohm single-voicecoil sub, then you could wire pins 1-4 together for the positive lead and pins 5-8 together for the negative lead. Dual-voicecoils may be trickier; not sure if it's as simple as getting 4-ohm voicecoils and then splitting up wiring (1/2+3/4 positive; 5/6+7/8 negative). I think single-voicecoil at 2 ohms is easiest and safest.

I used this adapter to hack my output.

Good Luck,

Scott

copperbricks

Ready to race!
Thanks a ton man, that's really helpful! I actually used your site with my GTI where I put in a Helix and powered sub. Just wanting something a little less complicated this time around haha.

Hi all, newbie to the forum.

i've been looking at a sound upgrade to my 16 clubsport. i live in Australia and the Helix is no longer sold here. i can get hold of one internationally however VW here have said that the part i need is the 000-051-419-B version. can anyone tell me what the difference is with the "B" as those are real hard to find.

my other option is an Audison ABPGX7 sub box, which supposedly is pnp, however i'm assuming thats only if you go for the mega expensive system with the speakers and amp as well.

HU details are
HW 820
SW 624

my question is will the older helix models (minus the B) work but will just need to be programmed with the dongle?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hi all, newbie to the forum.

i've been looking at a sound upgrade to my 16 clubsport. i live in Australia and the Helix is no longer sold here. i can get hold of one internationally however VW here have said that the part i need is the 000-051-419-B version. can anyone tell me what the difference is with the "B" as those are real hard to find.

my other option is an Audison ABPGX7 sub box, which supposedly is pnp, however i'm assuming thats only if you go for the mega expensive system with the speakers and amp as well.

HU details are
HW 820
SW 624

my question is will the older helix models (minus the B) work but will just need to be programmed with the dongle?

As far as we know, there is nothing functionally different about the "B" version over the non-B kit. At this point it seems the non-B part is out of stock globally and has directly superseded to the B part. Has been installed on MIB2 systems for sure, functions and programs the same.

Any Helix system should be programmed to function correctly, though some users have used different models programming with success over the programming suggested (example: using code 35 for a Jetta on a Golf that uses 57, based on the listeners preference).

Depending on your definition of plug and play, I don't think there is anything comparable to the Helix as far as factory integration with a unique wiring harness that includes power. A lot of add-on or factory upgrades will just have you run speaker level inputs to the amp/dsp and separate power which is much more involved.

Tried looking up your Audison part number but nothing came back for me.