GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty denied…as I did not put enough mileage on car

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I just got a call from my dealer telling me I can come get a free battery due to the recall. Debating if I want to do it since the jb4 runs right by the battery and I don't want them asking questions/dont feel like removing it. Did you ask about the recall? Sounds like it should be changed regardless of mileage.

Why you gotta censor The Autobarn in Mount Prospect? :D

I think i need to call my service writer and ask them where my battery is..

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
I've been lucky to have no warranty repairs in 3 years, but I don't remove it for minor services or oil changes. Just unplug the obd2 plug. It takes more than a few minutes to get under the car for the last plug, it can't be accessed from the top. I don't have a way to safely get under the car at my condo.

Get some rhino ramps. I park at the top of my parking garage to do my work.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
At least they will not replace with another undersized battery. When you do a battery change replace undersized stock battery with appropriate larger capacity battery. H6 or group 48 size which brings your capacity from 56Ah to 70Ah. You will need a new larger battery cover 5Q0915411H. After installing you will need to go into Can Gateway module with Vagcom and input larger capacity. When you change the battery even if you stay with the stock battery size you still need to update Can Gateway by changing serial number so charging cycle can be updated. Costco (group 29) is $110 (if you go AGM around $170); $28 from e-acca for larger cover.

See Golfdave's excellent DIY article concerning. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Attachments

• battery size.JPG
    battery size.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
This is some serious BS. Ask them to produce the language in the warranty that states that you must drive the car a certain amount of miles to cover the battery - or any other warrantied component for that matter. They won't be able to, because it doesn't exist. Then demand your money back and that they warranty the battery. If they refuse, call VW and report the incident, and request a refund from them.

Crap like this makes my blood boil, it's like the old VW of the '80s, where virtually every dealership was run like absolute crap.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
When you do a battery change replace undersized stock battery with appropriate larger capacity battery. H6 or group 48 size which brings your capacity from 56Ah to 70Ah. You will need a new larger battery cover 5Q0915411H. After installing you will need to go into Can Gateway module with Vagcom and input larger capacity. When you change the battery even if you stay with the stock battery size you still need to update Can Gateway by changing serial number so charging cycle can be updated. Costco (group 29) is $110 (if you go AGM around $170); $28 from e-acca for larger cover.

See Golfdave's excellent DIY article concerning. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

That’s a fine idea, but I don’t think that battery would fit, maybe I’m wrong but I’m fairly sure it wouldn’t fit with the vwr intake or the cts intake, at least with the heat shield installed, on my 2 R’s, maybe I’m wrong but from memory of installing both intakes, I don’t remember there being that much room for a battery that big in the stock location.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Besides, I would think absolute mileage is irrelevant. The frequency of driving would seem to be more important. Leaving it sitting for four months then taking a long road trip is a lot different than driving 20 miles to work and back every day I'd think. Dunno though.

ljafri14

Passed Driver's Ed
Besides, I would think absolute mileage is irrelevant. The frequency of driving would seem to be more important. Leaving it sitting for four months then taking a long road trip is a lot different than driving 20 miles to work and back every day I'd think. Dunno though.
This... I only have 4500 miles...and at the rate i drive.. i will probably be under 10k miles in 2 .5 yr period.

That's a bs reason to deny warranty claim.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Get a battery tender if you’re not driving very often.

I have my 911 on one and it’s keeps the battery charged to 100%.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
VW has no room to tell anyone what is "driving enough."

Mr. "Clean Diesel"...what, did you want us to destroy the earth even sooner?

S62R

Passed Driver's Ed
Not driving enough...that’s total bs. I’d call VW.
The battery on my son’s Jetta died and the car was still under warranty. I bought a battery for $130 from Costco (Interstate) and called VW asking for a refund. They honored my request and received a check from them in 2 weeks.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I've been lucky to have no warranty repairs in 3 years, but I don't remove it for minor services or oil changes. Just unplug the obd2 plug. It takes more than a few minutes to get under the car for the last plug, it can't be accessed from the top. I don't have a way to safely get under the car at my condo.

I thought it was just me. Everyone is like a couple minutes. ummm no it's not.