GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
+1 for Neuspeed/B8’s. Really liked that combo. If you like that drop also consider the new 034 springs. I took a ride in their car. It was a short trip but it felt like a solid “sport” suspension. Nice and controlled. They have a ton of other parts on it but the springs themselves felt good. 034 has apparently done a ton of R&D specifically on the MK7 GTI for those springs vs just plugging numbers into a computer to calculate the specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
+1 for Neuspeed/B8’s. Really liked that combo. If you like that drop also consider the new 034 springs. I took a ride in their car. It was a short trip but it felt like a solid “sport” suspension. Nice and controlled. They have a ton of other parts on it but the springs themselves felt good. 034 has apparently done a ton of R&D specifically on the MK7 GTI for those springs vs just plugging numbers into a computer to calculate the specs.

I had forgotten what suspensions you've tried at this point haha.

+1 on the 034 springs from me too, they don't offer them for the R but looking at them I think they are extremely well thought out. First I thought they were a mix of progressive and linear, from the pictures you can see the rear springs have short winds, but after thinking about it harder I'm sure those are dead coils to keep the rear wheels on the ground in hard cornering, versus the "peeing on cones" wheel lift you get with shorter springs without dead coils. Very well thought out there.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I had forgotten what suspensions you've tried at this point haha.

+1 on the 034 springs from me too, they don't offer them for the R but looking at them I think they are extremely well thought out. First I thought they were a mix of progressive and linear, from the pictures you can see the rear springs have short winds, but after thinking about it harder I'm sure those are dead coils to keep the rear wheels on the ground in hard cornering, versus the "peeing on cones" wheel lift you get with shorter springs without dead coils. Very well thought out there.

I know, I've been through, well, a lot. I honestly like it though. New suspensions can be like a whole new car. :)

Anyway, yeah, I forgot to ask them but those should be dead coils, just like on the neuspeeds.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I know, I've been through, well, a lot. I honestly like it though. New suspensions can be like a whole new car. :)

Anyway, yeah, I forgot to ask them but those should be dead coils, just like on the neuspeeds.

Completely agree, and when you get it right, all is well with the world haha.

Not sure about the Neuspeed springs. I think I made an incorrect assumption that the GTI and R springs were the same style from them, but I don't think they are now.

Neuspeed's GTI and Race sport springs look linear based on the pictures but they say progressive on the page. The R sport spring page has a different picture that is DEFINITELY progressive front and rear. Problem is I think Neuspeed copy/pasted some text between the two pages, or used the wrong image or same image on the GTI sport and race pages. Not 100% sure actually.

GTI Sport: http://www.neuspeed.com/331/2/0/3076/557007-neuspeed-sport-spring-kit.html

GTI Race: http://www.neuspeed.com/331/2/0/3077/557008-neuspeed-race-spring-kit.html

R Sport: http://www.neuspeed.com/340/2/0/3156/557009-neuspeed-spring-kit-sport.html

And the 034 spring link just for fun: https://store.034motorsport.com/dynamic-lowering-springs-for-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti.html

You can see on the 034s only the rear springs have 3 tight coils where the Neuspeed R sport springs have tight coils (3) front and (4) rear with much less loose high rate coils. The rear neuspeeds would probably have the same affect in corners as the 034s I'd bet.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Those are copied images, at least for the GTI sports. They are progressive but use dead coils in the rear and ride linearly. I was happy with the ride. Good street sport combo. Very plush with the B8’s all things considered...and I’m mid 40’s and picky. Smoother than my coils, that is for sure.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Those are copied images, at least for the GTI sports. They are progressive but use dead coils in the rear and ride linearly. I was happy with the ride. Good street sport combo. Very plush with the B8’s all things considered...and I’m mid 40’s and picky. Smoother than my coils, that is for sure.

Got it, I thought I knew the GTI Race versions were linear for sure as well as having a lower drop. Good deal on the sports being similar to 034s. Neuspeeds have a bit higher spring rates too, so my guess is the 034s could ride a bit better even.

Driv3r1

I have a 2016 Golf R without DCC and I am interested in getting B8's with some type of spring combo. I live in Pittsburgh and am not looking to get aggressive with the drop height.

Any idea if the B8s with the H&R OE sport springs is compatible with the R? Bilstein does not list the B12 kit as fitting the Golf R which is why I am concerened about the B8s.

Regarding the Springs, nobody lists the H&R OE sports as fitting the R. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Do you have DCC?

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Just curious why nobody talks about the Eibach PRO-KIT (85117.140)?

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
If you're thinking of going B8s and don't have springs already, check out the B12 kit. It's the B8 fixed struts with matched Eibach springs.

https://www.bilstein.com/en/product/bilstein-b12-pro-kit/

@Driver; the B8s would probably work great with the H&R OE Sport springs. Since they're a "taller" spring, you could even go with B6 struts (same exact damping as B8 but longer shock) so you'd only result in more droop travel than the B8s, not a bad thing.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
If you're thinking of going B8s and don't have springs already, check out the B12 kit. It's the B8 fixed struts with matched Eibach springs.

https://www.bilstein.com/en/product/bilstein-b12-pro-kit/

@Driver; the B8s would probably work great with the H&R OE Sport springs. Since they're a "taller" spring, you could even go with B6 struts (same exact damping as B8 but longer shock) so you'd only result in more droop travel than the B8s, not a bad thing.
Aside from the b12 kits being rare-ish (and MSRP expensive comparatively) and only available for GTIs that is a great option if you can find it.

Why do you think a B6 HD and B8 Sport shock have the same damping? I've never read anything like that.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
So basically, a non-adjustable coilover set for $1200?

Pretty much, its pricey for what it is. For the 80% of people who put coilovers on their car and aren't adjusting it after installing and setting it anways, it's a matched softer "cup kit". Only threw it out there as an option ;) .

Why do you think a B6 HD and B8 Sport shock have the same damping? I've never read anything like that.

For most all platforms if you can find the Bilstein "specs" listed when a vendor copy/pastes the technical details, they are the same damping; B6 HD is just for "OEM height" springs. Might be a shorter bumpstop on the B8s. When installed they both would end up at the same compressed point (hence more droop travel from the longer shaft on B6s).

Example:
VALVING
FRONT - 880 rebound / 775 compression
REAR - 1045 rebound / 690 compression

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Pretty much, its pricey for what it is. For the 80% of people who put coilovers on their car and aren't adjusting it after installing and setting it anways, it's a matched softer "cup kit". Only threw it out there as an option ;) .

Yeah I would totally go for something like that...for a few hundred less. I've read the ST X coilovers ride relatively plush, and can be had for <700 shipped, after rebate. Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk