GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 FORMULA 1 SEASON

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
I will withhold judgment until I see the cars on track as to which looks better, but based on what I have seen so far I am leaning toward the Halo.

And at the very least the cranes now have a nifty new place by which they can lift the cars.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Yes! Can't wait for the season to start.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN handles the coverage, and it's nice that the race start times are different to accommodate us Americans just a bit more.

Bring the hate, but #LH44!

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I just finished "How to build a Car" by Adrian Newey. A really interesting take on F1 by one of the premier car designers. I'd suggest reading (or listening to) it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-to-Build...=8-1&keywords=how+to+build+a+car+adrian+newey

One statement he made was, as dumb as many of the ever changing FIA rules are, new safety requirements can be a big relief for the car designers, even if they're difficult to implement; they don't have to worry as much about making the decisions regarding tradeoffs between driver safety and performance/aero.

Regarding the halo. It seems much like the requirement that pro-cyclists wear a helmet years ago:
Riders don't like it, they're hot. Fans don't like it, because it's harder to ID the rider. Helmets take away from the elegance of the sport and make everyone look the same. However, there have been significantly fewer head injuries and deaths. In the long run, it's a good thing.

Last edited:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The check engine light coming on for no reason..lol

Dealer has had my car for going on 2 days now (dropped it off at 8AM yesterday) and they still don;t know what is going on as far as I'm aware.
They will be getting a call in the next 2 hours if i don;t hear from them.

I too am hoping the ESPN/SKY coverage will be decent.
Despite all the commercials, I was actually pretty content with the NBC coverage the last few years.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Yes! Can't wait for the season to start.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN handles the coverage, and it's nice that the race start times are different to accommodate us Americans just a bit more.

Bring the hate, but #LH44!

They are using the Skysports stream, which is awesome IMO. I'm curious as to what they show pre & post race.

MarcoBe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 2017 Autobahn
Yes, looking forward to see what the Red Bulls can do this year. Looks promising. Can't wait to see my boy Max win some hardware!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Dang already forgot about this thread haha.
Been sort of keeping up with testing but I never pay too much attention to it because you never really see full potential until the first race.

ruffrider519

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah testing doesn't always show the true potential but Honda has been surprisingly reliable during this test. I can't wait to see how the saubers perform - particularly leclerc compared to Ericsson. I'm also hopeful for Max and riccardio in the red bulls as long as they beat just the Mercs. I have been a Ferrari fan since mid 90s.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yeah back when I started watching F1 Vettel had just started racing for Red Bull. I figured, hey, I like Red Bull, he's about my same age, I'll root for him.
Well, turns out he was an ok driver and I have been rooting for him ever since.
I don't like Hamilton. I think he is to full of himself. I do like Max and Daniel. And of course support HAAS even though I am not a fan of either driver necessarily.
I hope it will be a good season.
Last year was shaping up to be one until Ferarri (Seb) pretty much ruined it for themselves...
I would like to see the Red Bull's be more competitive and hope to see Alonso finish a race hah.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
I have been a fan for more than a decade now but really got into it when Hamilton made the transition to F1. Ive been a fan ever since. You either love him or you hate him, same with Vettel.

McLaren are looking good which is great to see. Funny how Honda is doing well now that they’ve moved on from McLaren lol.

Haas have made some serious improvements it seems, maybe they can compete with Williams and Renault this year.

Very exciting for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruffrider519

Passed Driver's Ed
Williams is probably going to be competing with sauber Alfa.. I don't see them doing well. According to will buxton and others, the Williams car was a complete dog on the track. Also Kubica mentioned that it's pretty challenging for the "inexperienced dou" to get the tyres in the right operating window. At least just another week untill lights out in Melbourne.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk