GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Fuel Tank Size on mk7 GTI

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
My MK5 GTi is another story. That gauge seems smaller in diameter and the needle is wider so it appears you have less fuel than you really do. It's hard to read it accurately. This is when the 'miles left' can help out a bit.

I much prefer the gauge size, increments and needle in the MK7 vs. my MK5. That's what I mean when I say every car is different and you just have to get accustomed to whatever new car you drive to get a feel for how the gauge reacts and when to fill up with fuel.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just a quick follow up after my overfill. The needle didn't move until I hit 65 miles. Now at 130 miles it reads 3/4 full.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I never let my fuel get much below 1/3 of tank left. No stress, no worries.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I've inadvertently run mine down to touching the white 0 line with 0 miles remaining on the digital display, and it filled up with over 13 gallons. This was while sweating bullets waiting for a gas station to appear the middle of bum**** rural western/central VA past 11pm, and then miraculously a lit-up gas station appeared on the road. No proof, but I sure felt lucky and I believe it was certainly running on the reserve, if not drops left. /coolstorybro

When I get nearer an eighth of a tank remaining I'll fill up now, but I'm always usually in a crowded suburban or city area with plenty of stations around. Lesson learned was no long trips if I don't have at least half of a tank.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Filled up 12.1 gallons last time. Hit 0 range with 30 miles away from home. This time I drove my normal speeds. Hvac on radio etc. I’m figuring a safe estimate of 50 miles left to drive aggressively when you hit 0 range.

Golfn88

Had the fuel suction pump recall performed (replaced fuel pump and EVAP canister) about a month ago. Since then, I've filled up twice with about 5 miles to empty and could still only pump 10 gallons before the filler shut off.

I asked the dealer if that volume was typical after the repair and they said no, it should fill up with 12 gallons or so before stopping.

Second visit to the dealer and they ended up replacing the N80 valve ( EVAP Purge solenoid). It was faulty and had to be replaced and the lines purged to actually correct the fueling issue.

Gasoline pouring out my rear bumper with the engine off finally forced me to bring my car in for the recall at 49k

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So I'm pretty sure its been said before, but yall know when the car says 0 miles left you still have about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank right? The fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel in the tank. The less fuel the less of both. So VW wants you to fill up before draining the tank, to prevent damage to your fuel pump. Also, since these cars are DI, it can be a pain in the ass to get them started after running them dry. Usually just key cycling / opening the door (older VW's would prime the fuel pump on door open) enough times will have the LPFP, feed enough fuel to bleed out the air and prime the HPFP. That being said sometimes it doesn't and you are then stuck. VW doesn't want that either.

Edit: Fuel tank design also comes into effect with all this. Apparently our fuel tank is designed kinda strange and the LPFP really has to struggle to suck out the last two gallons, which is not good for it.

Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Had the fuel suction pump recall performed (replaced fuel pump and EVAP canister) about a month ago. Since then, I've filled up twice with about 5 miles to empty and could still only pump 10 gallons before the filler shut off.

I asked the dealer if that volume was typical after the repair and they said no, it should fill up with 12 gallons or so before stopping.

Second visit to the dealer and they ended up replacing the N80 valve ( EVAP Purge solenoid). It was faulty and had to be replaced and the lines purged to actually correct the fueling issue.

Gasoline pouring out my rear bumper with the engine off finally forced me to bring my car in for the recall at 49k
Good to know might have to ask them next time I go it. I can get past 10 either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Good to know might have to ask them next time I go it. I can get past 10 either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Before you do that, run the car completely out of fuel till it sputters and dies on you, then I bet you get 12 in.

usable and absolute are different measures. Your usable also depends on how comfortable you are with fumes

Exactly. The Absolute size is 13.2 as advertised. Due to the shape of the tank, the fuel pump can't use all 13.2, only about 12.8 max. So if you really let things go cause you like replacing fuel pumps, you can fill up with 12 gallons, just remember you hurt your car. If you fill up at the right time then 10 is the max you will ever get in.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I've been re-reading the manual recently....the R has a bit larger fuel tank (14.3?) I found that interesting. Even more so since you have the packaging issues of the rear drive back where the fuel tank is. What are the R owners getting for MPG?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Fwiw, dash said I had 15 miles of range and was able to put in 13.64 gallons into the tank. Actually all the way to the top of the filler tube.

Nice! I wonder how much fuel is now in your charcoal canister. Also I wonder if the pump you were using had a bad auto shut off valve or something. I never put more then 8 gallons in, and I get 200 miles out of it. The owners manual even says not to put a full tank in... for that sweat increase in MPG due to less weight :rolleyes: .

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Nice! I wonder how much fuel is now in your charcoal canister. Also I wonder if the pump you were using had a bad auto shut off valve or something. I never put more then 8 gallons in, and I get 200 miles out of it. The owners manual even says not to put a full tank in... for that sweat increase in MPG due to less weight :rolleyes: .

Well I purposely did it that way by pulling the pump nozzle out until I could see the fuel flowing from the pump and I did that until the fuel was 1 drop away from spilling out of the filler tube. I don’t always do this of course.

Can this goof something up - the charcoal canister you mentioned?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Yeah and I only use my cell phone between 40% and 60% battery. Sure I have to charge it every 30 minutes, but my Li-ion will last forever /sarc.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I wouldn't try the fuel overfill again but thx for the science. I am surprised at how much more you got in....