GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would think her job was to be back up as we are still in the infancy of self driving cars...if back up isn't to be ready to take over when the car misses something idk what it is. I know how hard her job would be and doubt I would do better.

I think dedicated lane is only good on paper...cost and dedicated lanes where? Someone with Google skills should search how many miles autonomous cars have driver then look at number of accidents and then compare it to us (assume it's already been done) I'm willing to wager beverage their safety record will embarrass us.

cb1111

She's there to be in the car, monitor the vehicle, drive it if need be.
They are not sending the car off on its own.
What I'm saying is the human is not there to be hair trigger ready to leap into action.
And this accident illustrates one of the fallacies of self driving cars:
The human seated at the wheel in an autonomous car will never be at the ready in the same way one would be if they were actually piloting the car.
The reaction time just wouldn't be there.
What would be the point of an autonomously driven vehicle anyway, if the human in it was expected to maintain the same level of alertness as one who was actually driving?
You might as well drive.
It looks like she didn't "drive it if need be", and yes, it looks like they sent the car off on its own.

There was zero sign of any braking. In a "normal" car, the driver would have at least attempted to brake.

We'll find out what the human was doing at the time of the crash. Was she checking her email or texting or was she monitoring the car's systems?

The reason that a human is in these cars is because we're not sure that the technology is there yet (as this crash exemplifies) and to assume control if necessary.

If one reviews the crashes from autonomous vehicles, one sees that while none were at fault, they all failed to anticipate "the other guy".

If all cars on the road were autonomous then there would be no crashes as every vehicle would obey the rules.

AI isn't there yet to anticipate what the other human driver will do. We'll continue to see a far higher rate of crashes with these vehicles until the AI gets there.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
It looks like she didn't "drive it if need be", and yes, it looks like they sent the car off on its own.

There was zero sign of any braking. In a "normal" car, the driver would have at least attempted to brake. If they saw her (also paying attention)

We'll find out what the human was doing at the time of the crash. Was she checking her email or texting or was she monitoring the car's systems? Yes and important info

The reason that a human is in these cars is because we're not sure that the technology is there yet (as this crash exemplifies) and to assume control if necessary.

If one reviews the crashes from autonomous vehicles, one sees that while none were at fault, they all failed to anticipate "the other guy". Wasn't the Tesla one the cars fault?

If all cars on the road were autonomous then there would be no crashes as every vehicle would obey the rules. fewer crashes

AI isn't there yet to anticipate what the other human driver will do. We'll continue to see a far higher rate of crashes with these vehicles until the AI gets there.
my suggested edits

Mud

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I would think her job was to be back up as we are still in the infancy of self driving cars...if back up isn't to be ready to take over when the car misses something idk what it is. I know how hard her job would be and doubt I would do better.

I think dedicated lane is only good on paper...cost and dedicated lanes where? Someone with Google skills should search how many miles autonomous cars have driver then look at number of accidents and then compare it to us (assume it's already been done) I'm willing to wager beverage their safety record will embarrass us.

I agree that she was there for backup.
I just question what level the immediacy of backup was expected.
If you ask me, in an emergency situation - that immediacy will almost always be too slow.
As for dedicated lanes, believe that the focus on autonomous cars should be - and I thought it would be - as strictly regulated commuter pods that would go from dedicated park and rides from suburban areas to urban areas (and back again) where the commuter would then hit public transportation to fine tune to their destination.
Who knows where the ball is going to land down the line?

cb1111

IIRC, the current rate is 1.16 fatalities per 100 million miles driven. Autonomous vehicles have driven about 2.5 million miles to date and have had one fatality.

In all fairness though, one fatality doesn't necessarily indicate a trend. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we'll have to wait for the next one - hopefully we'll have to wait another 100 million miles or so.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

There was zero sign of any braking. In a "normal" car, the driver would have at least attempted to brake.

We'll find out what the human was doing at the time of the crash. Was she checking her email or texting or was she monitoring the car's systems?

If one reviews the crashes from autonomous vehicles, one sees that while none were at fault, they all failed to anticipate "the other guy".

If all cars on the road were autonomous then there would be no crashes as every vehicle would obey the rules.

"If need be" could mean if the autonomous functions shut down, or the car needs to be maneuvered somewhere or way that the autonomous functions do not allow.
Again, I don't want to sound like I'm defending her - or autonomous cars at all.
But we don't know what her legal requirements were as far as active vigilance goes - we'll find out.
All and all, it's bad and I don't like this autonomous push one bit.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
If we have to still pay that much attention, what's the point? Might as well drive.
My thoughts too, although, my parents have a new Cadillac that has a "Super Cruise" mode:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/the-cadillac-ct6-review-super-cruise-is-a-game-changer/

And it's pretty damn good. But there are some key things that make it safer. It will only work on roads approved by GM like certain highways and interstates. Also, it has a driver monitoring system that will alert you if you aren't paying attention, and will lock you out of that mode for some time if you get too many strikes. Lastly, it has an infrared night vision that shows people and objects that are outside the range of the headlights.

I don't know if this is part of the Super Cruise system, or just for the gauge cluster, but it's certainly a safety feature that could have prevented this accident since the person in the video didn't show up in the headlights until it was far too late for either man or machine to do anything about it...

One thing about these automated, or even semi-automated modes like adaptive cruise control, is they are a total pain in the ass if you are in a car without that tech and you are following them on a road trip halfway across the country. Ask me how I know :p

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My thoughts too, although, my parents have a new Cadillac that has a "Super Cruise" mode:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/the-cadillac-ct6-review-super-cruise-is-a-game-changer/

And it's pretty damn good. But there are some key things that make it safer. It will only work on roads approved by GM like certain highways and interstates. Also, it has a driver monitoring system that will alert you if you aren't paying attention, and will lock you out of that mode for some time if you get too many strikes. Lastly, it has an infrared night vision that shows people and objects that are outside the range of the headlights.

I don't know if this is part of the Super Cruise system, or just for the gauge cluster, but it's certainly a safety feature that could have prevented this accident since the person in the video didn't show up in the headlights until it was far too late for either man or machine to do anything about it...

One thing about these automated, or even semi-automated modes like adaptive cruise control, is they are a total pain in the ass if you are in a car without that tech and you are following them on a road trip halfway across the country. Ask me how I know :p

All of that makes perfect sense - thanks for the post.
Who knows? This whole autonomous car thing might settle down to not much more than the system you showed here by Cadillac.
And yes I can only imagine what it's like to follow one.
Some speed limits are insanely low.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
All of that makes perfect sense - thanks for the post.
Who knows? This whole autonomous car thing might settle down to not much more than the system you showed here by Cadillac.
And yes I can only imagine what it's like to follow one.
Some speed limits are insanely low.
It's not going anywhere.....same thing is going on with freight trains called ptc (positive train control), it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
It's not going anywhere.....same thing is going on with freight trains called ptc (positive train control), it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

That's what they said about airplanes, and horseless carriages, and pretty much every piece of technology ever. Look where we are now though.

cb1111

Autonomous vehicles are coming and they will increase safety but we are now in the very beginning of this process. We're at the beginning of our red flag laws for autonomous driving.