GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI - a few thoughts and questions

wbw

Ready to race!
On Monday I picked up my slightly used 2017 GTI S. It had 2675 miles as a loaner/manager's car. I only got to drive it 10 miles home from the dealer and then six more miles to show the wife. It then snowed all day Tuesday and Wednesday so no further diving. :mad:

It's Night Blue Metallic. The only picture I have is one I took at the dealer and it has big stickers on the windshield so I'm not posting it. You all know what a stock GTI looks like anyway.

It's a neat little car. It's been a while since I've had a frantic little engine. It really scoots. I hadn't paid a whole lot of attention to the list of electronic gadgetry so I didn't realize that it didn't have Sat Nav. That would have been nice. I sort of assumed that most all new cars today had Navigation. I'll use my phone when I need directions while driving.

I also didn't realize that it had a screen with turbo boost and lateral G info. That was a cool surprise. I can also set up a customized setting for Sport steering and transmission and sound. These cars do everything. I've been driving for 50 years so I'm sort of 'old school'. Not used to a lot of gadgetry.

I guess I really only have one question at the moment. The owner's manual, if I'm remembering correctly, says to add no more than a half a quart of oil that is not labeled as 502.00. Are these VW oils really that much different than regular full synthetic oil? I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs. Just wondering if VW is blowing smoke to scare folks into buying their oil, or if there really is that much difference in the oils.

Hopefully I'll be able to drive the car in a few days. Right now it's clean and pristine. I don't need sloppy salt mess thrown all over it. Looking forward to driving it though.

Last edited:

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Congrats on the new car!

All GTIs have bluetooth connectivity standard, and the '16s and up have Android Auto and Apple Carplay support as well if you don't mind plugging in. Check your manual on how to set it up, but you should be able to go into the head unit's Phone menu and add a phone for basic bluetooth audio and calls.

wbw

Ready to race!
Congrats on the new car!

All GTIs have bluetooth connectivity standard, and the '16s and up have Android Auto and Apple Carplay support as well if you don't mind plugging in. Check your manual on how to set it up, but you should be able to go into the head unit's Phone menu and add a phone for basic bluetooth audio and calls.

You are correct sir. I misspoke. I meant to say Navigation. It doesn't have Sat Nav.
I fixed the original post. Thanks.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
502 spec oil comes from a variety of manufacturer's including full synthetic, which is what comes from the factory and is what is recommended. Not sure you can even buy "regular dino" oil in 502 spec, but I've never had a reason to look.

I personally use Mobil 1; 0w-40, full synthetic.

P.s. Not sure what you mean by "scaring people into buying their oil". You can get 502 spec oil anywhere, you don't have to buy it exclusively from the dealer.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
You are correct sir. I misspoke. I meant to say Navigation. It doesn't have Sat Nav.
I fixed the original post. Thanks.

Android Auto and Apple Car play pretty much make Navigation a non-issue. Use your phone's nav on the car screen through one of those two apps. It works wonderfully.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Congrats on the new go cart!!
You would think Nav would be standard these days but like others have said connecting phone is just as good or better.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Personally I wouldn't pay the outrageous price for Nav on any car when the phone is actually better. Unless you are constantly in an area for dropped calls, then the phone isn't so good.

My parents just bought a new Mazda 6 and Nav was $895. With the 2017 GTi's Nav was only available on the top Autobahn model. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

adam1991

Banned
I guess I really only have one question at the moment. The owner's manual, if I'm remembering correctly, says to add no more than a half a quart of oil that is not labeled as 502.00. Are these VW oils really that much different than regular full synthetic oil? I have no problem buying oil that meets their specs. Just wondering if VW is blowing smoke to scare folks into buying their oil, or if there really is that much difference in the oils.

sigh...Yeah, immediately disbelieve the manufacturer on something as critical as oil and instead ask random people in the world what they think.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Pay no attention to adam1991 he's the local curmudgeon. He'll chastise just about any noobs posts, so just put him on ignore.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Congratulations on the new (to you GTI). What a fun little car. I have not (quite) been driving as long as you, but I know what you are saying. Enjoy, once it stops snowing.

It's a neat little car. It's been a while since I've had a frantic little engine. It really scoots. I hadn't paid a whole lot of attention to the list of electronic gadgetry so I didn't realize that it didn't have Sat Nav. That would have been nice. I sort of assumed that most all new cars today had Navigation. I'll use my phone when I need directions while driving.
If you have a smartphone, you are all set. Hook it up to your car (Via cord and USB port in the cubby) and use Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

You have the choice of Google Maps or Waze to help guide you. It will come up on your radio screen just like a navigation system. Plus you can use the hand free mode to tell it where you want to go instead of trying to type it on the screen.

Most synthetics meet the 502.00 spec already. If you have a question, check the manufactures website for the full oil specifications. Usually not all of them are listed on the back of the bottle.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
If you plan to DIY your oil changes or just need to add oil, Mobil1 Euro 0w-40 is going to be the least expensive, but also very very good, oil that meets VW502.

In fact, through May 31, Mobil is doing a rebate where you will be able to get the 5L jug for about $12-14 after rebate. At that price you can't afford not to buy it. I bought two.

The rebate link is here: https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions

As an aside, if you plan to DIY, get yourself an oil extractor. I use the Schwaben one from eBay sold by ECS tuning it's usually a few bucks cheaper via their eBay store. Then see the link in my signature for filters. It's a 15 minute change if you have an extractor. No jacking the car, no getting on your back.

adam1991

Banned
Pay no attention to adam1991 he's the local curmudgeon. He'll chastise just about any noobs posts

Bullshit. Noob has nothing to do with it.

I do, however, chastise silliness like "I don't believe what VW says about the oil I should use...what do you random strangers think?"

And I don't discriminate, noob or otherwise.