GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maintenance Questions (fluids, cloth)

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah what is the deal on this. They say not needed in the manual and on dap website but they still sell mk7 manual tran fluid?

They sell it in case you need it, say that you are changing your clutch and lose some fluid by mistake or if you are installing an LSD etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'll probably change my manual trans oil once early to get any factory and break-in residue out of the case and then every 50k/2 years or so. Basically about the same interval I'll replace the brake fluid.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Just an update. I am at 13.4k miles and I have been spraying Shout on the cloth seats or another APC. I let it soak for a couple minutes and then I take a damp MF towel and scrub and wipe away.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Fluid change - it's sold for if you have to do a clutch swap or something; having dealt with similar platform vehicles people tend to replace the fluid whenever they do the clutch, or around 50k miles, even if it's not deemed necessary.

- Why would I use a toothpaste 4 out of 5 dentists recommend, if they live off my teeth being bad? lol

Cleaning cloth seats: Get some interior fabric cleaner, and some hot, damp rags, and a soft bristle brush, and you can spot clean. If you decide to clean the whole seat, work incrementally, use a wet vac to suck out any wetness that you can.

I too am waiting for some results on valve buildup.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Bumping my original thread since it has been over a year and I am still curious about carbon buildup.

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
How often do you all change your oil? If you do it from the top with a pump, do you need to replace the plug or will it last the life of the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Bump. Any news on carbon buildup in intake valves?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think i've seen one instance of a MK7 gti getting random misfires (which is the symptoms of carbon buildup) and then after pulling off his / her intake manifold and seeing a load of carbon buildup. It could be that they addressed it when they designed the EA888 engine, or that gti drivers tend to give the car an italian tune up every so often, compared to say your average direct injection SUV driver.

We probably have some owners here edging towards the higher miles now that we would start seeing instances cropping up.

So with all that being said, leave it, unless you have lots of free time on your hands to document every 20k or so after 50k. Drive the car, and give it good run, if you start getting random misfires, that's not pertaining to a particular injector or bad coil, pull the manifold and send us all some pics of the buildup.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
agree with the effort of an italian tune up worth it as prevention. idk if it works but easy-peasy 4th gear 70-75 mph for 20-30 minutes.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
agree with the effort of an italian tune up worth it as prevention. idk if it works but easy-peasy 4th gear 70-75 mph for 20-30 minutes.

I do 4th gear at a little over 80 mph for 25 minutes every couple of weeks because I have a 3 hour commute twice a week, Mondays and Fridays, to and from work.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Regarding cloth seats in general, I recommend a bissel little green. It's amazing the stuff it can get out.

For the intake valves, it's going to depend on so many factors it's hard to predict. From personal experience I feel concerns are a bit overblown. I didn't clean them on my Mk5 until 135k miles and, while there was plenty of gunk in there, my general impression at the time was that I could've let it go even further, particularly on 3 of 4 cylinders. Mostly normal to spirited driving and a few track days and a few autox on a 4-season car. 5k oil changes and generally used top-tier fuel.