GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
had that too, didnt do too much. its a good unit to get things working, but that accu-bass thing really didnt do much. the installer messed with it for a while and we just couldnt get much to come from it
My aspirations as an audiophile are still in their infancy, so perhaps my love of deep booming bass takes precedence still...but after setting up 2 10s and filtering that signal through the LC8i, I'm quite happy with the result.

Now I just need to upgrade the component speakers in the cabin. I'm going to take the same approach and tap into the existing speaker-level outputs. That way the built-in EQ still functions, but the signal is processed through the LC8i unit.

I will say, though, this is all a pain in the ass. It's ridiculous that one doesn't even have the option to hot-swap head/display units with the MIB2 units, let alone aftermarket. Bypass City.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

chid

Ready to race!
GTI is now sold, 2018 R in the garage.

In the coming weeks I'll try to install the subwoofer in the trunk of the R.
It doesn't have the spare tire, the floor sits higher, but still has the Fender Subwoofer.
We'll see how it goes...

chid

Ready to race!
Well... I couldn't wait to enjoy the subwoofer in the R...

I started to just look to see what's the difference from the GTI...
then I removed the Fender subwoofer and evaluate...
then I brought mine, and started to play with it.... it didn't fit in the position I had it in my GTI, now in the center is a metallic bump that holds the screw for the Fender...
I turned it around and it almost fit....it didn't go down in the back... so I had to trim the plastic a little bit.

the subwoofer (speaker) now sits somewhere between the bump and the edge.
I brought the LC2i and the amp to see if they will fit..... yeap.. they do.

I started to look where I could put the power wire, from battery to the trunk. I found a way to pass the firewall, much easier than it was at the GTI....

I passed the power wire on the right side, then I used the same ground bolt I used in the GTI , on the right side of the trunk.
Re-wired everything, had the same problem with the battery bolt. :mad::mad:

It only took the afternoon and now it's working!! yey!

The cover sits well in the back, a little high in the front.... oh well.....

Conclusion: it works on R 2018 7.5.
Now I have a nice sound!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 7,625
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,451
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 4,680

Jlewiss

R???

wow! you got a R Chid?? you go man!!! nice! I'm stuck/spoiled the the tdi's... my mk7 golf sel 6spd manual is my 6th, 7th if you count my wifes, i'm cobuyer, TDI total!!! I've driven almost nothing but TDI's since '99! when you avg 43-47 mpg, and you drive like an idiot most times, its hard to get away from that!! I got a '04 audi a4 ultrasport in '10 and everytime I got in it I cringed, 3.0 quatro, bc it got avg 23mpg, I equated it to the rich girlfriend, always expensive to take her out!! lol
have fun balling around in that R man! be safe Chid!

Jlewiss

wow! you got a R Chid?? you go man!!! nice! I'm stuck/spoiled the the tdi's... my mk7 golf sel 6spd manual is my 6th, 7th if you count my wifes, i'm cobuyer, TDI total!!! I've driven almost nothing but TDI's since '99! when you avg 43-47 mpg, and you drive like an idiot most times, its hard to get away from that!! I got a '04 audi a4 ultrasport in '10 and everytime I got in it I cringed, 3.0 quatro, bc it got avg 23mpg, I equated it to the rich girlfriend, always expensive to take her out!! lol
real crappy pics, but....

chid

Ready to race!

Yes, I loved the GTI, but spinning the wheels exactly when you want to go... in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd... is not fun.....
Plus I'm driving my car mostly in the winter (summer is for bike), so 4Motion makes a lot of sense with at least 4 months here.
I was hoping the Fender subwoofer will be better in the R.. but no. The same 6in that simulates a bass...

I wasn't expected to be that easy to install my subwoofer in the R... especially the first time I did everything from one end to another... but it only took about 5 hours from Fender to mine... everything included :O
And I'm happy that I keep my trunk free. Well..... no spare tire...

and what a great sound it is now :D I can fully enjoy the R.

Jlewiss

4-5 hours total is about what it took me too Chid. I still need to hook up my cap though, didn't have enough 4 ga wire or 4 ga ring connectors. My weekend coming up is working on that so install is complete. I had enough to do everything but the cap wiring and you know was not waiting to get the most of the system installed and working!!
This golf is easiest audio upgrade, amp/subs/etc, I have ever done! even though it was w big ol' 4 ga wire. I thought my '12 NA passat was pretty easy, but the golf was easier!
If I need the trunk I can take out the sub box pretty easily, but I do want to make it even easier by creating that quick connect, with the same connector that goes to Fender sub, like you did.... I'm using your part #'s to get all the pieces before I start on that though. MANY MANY thanks for sharing all your info and pics on your upgrades!! VERY USEFUL BRO!
yes, that fender sub is pretty much trash! I don't care what anyone says, it cannot produce hardly any bass frequencies at all... very limited low frequency range produced by the little guy! no surprise though, it is 6.5 INCHES! its better than nothing at all, but just barely! These people that are saying it's good or great, have never heard a true "sub", at least 10", but 12" is better, being driven by a 300-600watt amp... then they'd know! :confused:

Yes, I loved the GTI, but spinning the wheels exactly when you want to go... in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd... is not fun.....
Plus I'm driving my car mostly in the winter (summer is for bike), so 4Motion makes a lot of sense with at least 4 months here.
I was hoping the Fender subwoofer will be better in the R.. but no. The same 6in that simulates a bass...

I wasn't expected to be that easy to install my subwoofer in the R... especially the first time I did everything from one end to another... but it only took about 5 hours from Fender to mine... everything included :O
And I'm happy that I keep my trunk free. Well..... no spare tire...

and what a great sound it is now :D I can fully enjoy the R.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Chid's original project inspired the direction I took with my own subwoofer box. I added ham radio and other crap, so my project became more complicated. But his box dimensions were what got me started toward this outcome, which all fits under the factory floor like his:

Someone mentioned the the vast difference in sound between the Fender sub and a true 10-inch (or larger) sub. I agree. I was even more impressed when I swapped out my Rockford Fosgate "Punch" sub for a Rockford Fosgate "Power" sub. The increase in power (going from 2-ohm to 1-ohm, which enabled a power increase from 300W to 500W without changing the amp) and the greater excursion of the better component made a surprising difference!

I don't blast my music, but it's fun to know that I can and hilarious to see the reactions from people when I turn my bass knob for "ludicrous bass." ;)

Congrats on the R, Chid!

Scott

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Chid's original project inspired the direction I took with my own subwoofer box. I added ham radio and other crap, so my project became more complicated. But his box dimensions were what got me started toward this outcome, which all fits under the factory floor like his:

Someone mentioned the the vast difference in sound between the Fender sub and a true 10-inch (or larger) sub. I agree. I was even more impressed when I swapped out my Rockford Fosgate "Punch" sub for a Rockford Fosgate "Power" sub. The increase in power (going from 2-ohm to 1-ohm, which enabled a power increase from 300W to 500W without changing the amp) and the greater excursion of the better component made a surprising difference!

I don't blast my music, but it's fun to know that I can and hilarious to see the reactions from people when I turn my bass knob for "ludicrous bass." ;)

Congrats on the R, Chid!

Scott

I just saw your video and subscribed to your channel, very impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlewiss

Congrats on the R, Chid!

Scott

Looks real good Scott! Chid is the MAN, sharing all his work, and posting detailed specs and pics! Major props bro, Chid! Keep it up!
I've seen you on TDIclub too, stealthTDI I believe. I've been on TDIclub since the late 90's... back when diesel was 94 cents and gasoline was 96 cents a Gallon!! Before the days of ULSD, and the crazy emissions "police" ever got their hands on our cars!!! I think my user id on TDIclub is just J, Scott....
I was close, just went to TDIclub forum to check out my user details...

J
Veteran Member

Not quite since the late 90's, when I got my 1st TDI in late '98!

chid

Ready to race!

Congrats on the R, Chid!

Scott

Thanks Scott!
Your project is quite something!

I'm getting close to 300km.... slowly-slowly. Hopefully I'll have some time over the weekend to put some more.
I'm so happy I was able to install the subwoofer without modifications in the R... I could not enjoy the music...
Really, the difference is gigantic..

chid

Ready to race!
Looks real good Scott! Chid is the MAN, sharing all his work, and posting detailed specs and pics! Major props bro, Chid! Keep it up!

Thanks J!
I'm glad I could help! I have some new photos for the ground location in the trunk, hopefully I can post them soon.

cb1111

Congrats on the R, Chid!

Scott
A slight clarification - you didn't actually "increase" the output of the amplifier, it merely is a different way of measurement.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hmmm,

A slight clarification - you didn't actually "increase" the output of the amplifier, it merely is a different way of measurement.

Please explain that. Given the same potential at the amp, cutting the impedance of the load (speaker) will increase the output current. Power equals potential times current. More current equals more power. It's similar to how upgrading to a higher-power light bulb will result in brighter light without changing the supplied voltage.

The specs clearly state that the amp outputs 175W @4-ohms, 300W @2-ohms, and 500W @1-ohm. I had to adjust some settings because (drum-roll) the bass was louder with the new load (more power).

How am I wrong?

Scott

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hmmm,

Please explain that. Given the same potential at the amp, cutting the impedance of the load (speaker) will increase the output current. Power equals potential times current. More current equals more power. It's similar to how upgrading to a higher-power light bulb will result in brighter light without changing the supplied voltage.

The specs clearly state that the amp outputs 175W @4-ohms, 300W @2-ohms, and 500W @1-ohm. I had to adjust some settings because (drum-roll) the bass was louder with the new load (more power).

How am I wrong?

Scott
Stealth, you are correct. By using lower impedance downstream of the amp, you are in fact increasing the output of the amp. Ohms law, yo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: