GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sliced my hand open in my 2015 GTI...

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Even if you're not under warranty it's worth going back to the dealer to see about a replacement. Mine was fixed under warranty and my dealer was "aware of the issue".

Yeah my service writer literally cut me off before i finished my sentence when i went in for the issue lol

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
those that have cut themselves or have wear on the lid...do you open/close it?

just wondering, I know if it was designed better it shouldn't matter.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
those that have cut themselves or have wear on the lid...do you open/close it?

just wondering, I know if it was designed better it shouldn't matter.

The part that cut me was not the lid, but the silver trim around the shift boot that peels where the lid meets it. but no, i never open/close the thing. it stays open 99% of the time. only time i close it is when i park in philly and have to hide all signs of remotely valuable things inside my car (iphone plug, etc)

Vobs56

Ready to race!
The same spot of trim peeled back for me and was also very sharp. The trim is actually thick and can be near razor blade sharp. I cut my hand as well but it was no worse than a papercut. I could not find any options for trim replacement so I opted to replace the whole shifter assembly since it comes OEM with that silver bezel trim on it. I probably didn't need to go to the extent of replacing the whole assembly but I got a great deal for a brand new one on ebay. A win-win considering the knob was starting to look dull and I did not want to get another cut grabbing for my wallet or the iphone chord.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
My GTI drew blood from me the other day, but not on the center console. After cleaning the monster mats in the back, I went to return them and reached under the passenger seat to tuck the mat down and the bottom of the seat sliced by knuckle open to the point where I was worried I was going to drip blood on the plaid! :eek: Bloodthirsty little devils I guess.

TroyI

Ready to race!
Another finger slicing Golf here. It only made a small nick, but must have been pretty deep as it bled profusely for quite a while. Not ideal when driving!

Taking some pics a few days later, it looks like the metal trim has crumbled and flaked away. You can see the slight bend in the metal where it must have got bent as I tried to extract my mangled finger.

View attachment 20764

View attachment 20765

I sliced my finger in the same exact spot bled like crazy. 24 hours later and it will still bleed if I don't have a bandaid on tight to hold the cut together. I put electrical tape on the area to prevent it from happening again.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
My gosh this is crazy and way to common. I'm fortunate my GTI isn't cutting me up.

For those slicing their hands open obviously put blunt continuous pressure on it and if you see any tendon or bone please go to the ER. Don't play hero.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
If your car draws blood you should reach for a sledgehammer calling out "bring it, ding-ding round 2" :p.

Seriously, a cut needs sorting asap to heal avoid poss infection. I once cut my leg on something, managed to catch it & keep opening it up, didn't heal for nearly 3 weeks, needed a sceptic / tetanus injection (shot) which hurt more than the actual cut. As poster above said, don't be a hero, get sorted and carry on working on your car....

Last edited:

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I wonder why this edge gets broken/sharp for some people and not others. Someone I think mentioned theirs chipped when they removed the stowage bin in front to clean it? I didn't think that part was removable. Mine is still a completely blunt, curved down piece with nothing sharp

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I’m glad I’m seeing this now. I’m surprised this is so common. Mines been like this for probably 5K now. Definitely going to bring this up to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk