GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
There are many variables that come into play here. How often you drive. Are you parking on the street or in a heated garage? Do you have a 12 inch sub and amps in your trunk lol.

My batteries usually last pretty long because i try to drive my car every day. We went away on a two week vacation in December and my battery struggled to start when i returned, my wifes battery in her rogue was totally dead!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Sure we do.

In the US, yes, some auto makers have this, but the 2018 VW MK7? I think that was the question.

In order to have start/stop doesn't the starter have to be beefed up significantly to withstand the additional start cycles? I thought I read somewhere that cars that have this feature don't use the stock starters that would normally be fitted to cars without the start/stop feature. I would also hope that the car's electronics prevent start/stop from working until the engine has warmed up sufficiently.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
agree with the should last more than a few years..in CT it was 8 or so on Mrs Muds CRV,
Sold my stang it was 6/7 and still going strong. My Taco made it 12 yrs!!!!!

My sister’s 12 CRV needs a second battery in 3 years the factory one went in 2015, her commute is literally 2 miles from her house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Those who do a majority of short trips... get a battery tender and every few months deep charge the battery.

cb1111

In the US, yes, some auto makers have this, but the 2018 VW MK7? I think that was the question.

In order to have start/stop doesn't the starter have to be beefed up significantly to withstand the additional start cycles? I thought I read somewhere that cars that have this feature don't use the stock starters that would normally be fitted to cars without the start/stop feature. I would also hope that the car's electronics prevent start/stop from working until the engine has warmed up sufficiently.
The 18's with DSG have start/stop.

And yes, there are all sorts of scenarios where stat/stop won't kick in

dmcconnell

Vader Battery

I think I can hear it fading a bit. Is it common for batteries to fail in 2.5 years.

I just traded in my 2007 GTI for a 2018 GTI. The 2007 was built in Germany and came with a Vader battery. I find this hard to believe myself, but the Vader battery lasted 8 years and 2 months. I tried to get another one, but they are not sold in the US.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
my batteries only last a max of 2.5yrs and i do a 20mile commute everyday. All depends on temps. too hot or too cold and it will dramatically reduce the life of your battery. Someone in the UK for example where it never gets too hot or too cold, 5/6yrs. Someone in the tropics or the desert, then good luck getting to 3 ! if you live in a very hot climate, and have say a south facing garage, where the sun beats on your metal garage doors all day long, turning your garage into a WWII Japanese sweatbox and you own a couple of cars in your garage, it may actually be cost effective for you to insulate your garage door, to keep the heat out or the heat in, if in a very cold climate. It'll make your batteries last longer !

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
My MK5 and most other cars I've owned have gotten approx. 6+ years on an original battery.

The MK5 now has an Interstate battery and it's going on 2.5 years old. It remains to be seen how long the factory MK7 battery will last.

I believe a little bit in weather conditions playing a role, but I think people put way too much into it unless you live in an area that experiences extreme's one way or the other for a good portion of a year.

I've lived in the Upper Midwest on the border or Illinois/Wisconsin my entire life. -15* some Winters and +95* Summers on occasion and I've never had a battery last less than 4-5 years. I don't expect that to change.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm wondering what draw is on these in the Off state....I hear lots of noises coming from it when I walk up and shut it down...just thinking out loud

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I'm wondering what draw is on these in the Off state....I hear lots of noises coming from it when I walk up and shut it down...just thinking out loud

I can't imagine much, since it quiets down after a short while. Now if you wake it up a lot and don't drive it for a couple weeks...........then maybe. But normal driving habits, it should be a non-issue.