GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery On Tickover

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Potential 'Well Duh' bits coming up but: when starting the car after it's scandalously been left a few days,

A) is it reckoned better to disable Strat / Stop and let it tickover a few mins to save battery charge from the starter drawing current from starting again?

B) does the Start / Stop only operate when the car has been running a while and battery charge sufficiently refreshed ?

C) does the car use more current on tickover than it 'makes' to top-up battery ?

I asked a couple of electronic tech geeks pals and surprisingly they didn't know the answers....

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Start/stop will only operate if a number of levels are met, battery voltage is one of them as long as engine temperature. So there is no need to disable it as it will not kick in.

If the battery is fully charged the alternator will not charge the battery at all. It will only start charging when it needs to. It will charge the battery easily when on tick-over.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Kinda what I thought. Not driven car since Saturday, not even seen it today and may not get to drive it. Obviously when car is ticking over, idling, it's only while I shut garage door and garden gate, 100% no chance of anyone sneaking up saying "thanks", jumping in and driving off. It happens...