GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I think I can hear it fading a bit. Is it common for batteries to fail in 2.5 years.
How can you hear it fading? Put a voltmeter on it. Mine is a 2016 still on oem battery without issues. But this winter has been brutally cold so its not out of the question.

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I can hear it fading a bit. Is it common for batteries to fail in 2.5 years.

I would think there is plenty more life in that battery. When I traded my Juke in for this car, it was a 2013 with 68k on it, original battery from Nissan. While I realize this is not a Nissan, I've had that experience with other cars in the past as well. Your battery is decidedly mid life.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I checked mine last week after 4 years and 30k is good so far.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

It depends, short commutes are bad news for batteries , some batteries will die from this situation regardless of brand.

I totally get what you meant by “fading” because my battery does seem a bit weaker since I don’t use my GTI everyday , I only get to use it once a week if that, sometimes two weeks go by without starting it, car has almost 32k and soon to be 4 years old. In my case I should be getting a new battery soon before it craps out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Throw it on a meter and check it before changing. It should still be ok.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would translate "hear it fading" as "cranking a bit slow"

I've asked about the programing b4.....I was looking at the manual and see it really doesn't talk about it. It just mentions what order to do wires and how you may have some random alarms for a few miles. NOT calling out anyone just having a hard time wrapping my head around why replacing a battery is so complicated.

Yeah I'm getting old.......

Mud

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
I would translate "hear it fading" as "cranking a bit slow"

I've asked about the programing b4.....I was looking at the manual and see it really doesn't talk about it. It just mentions what order to do wires and how you may have some random alarms for a few miles. NOT calling out anyone just having a hard time wrapping my head around why replacing a battery is so complicated.

Yeah I'm getting old.......

Mud

Yup slow cranking is what I meant by fading.

I have in the past been able use my space ghost sense to notice a battery cranking a bit slow. In fact in one car I noticed it then went on vacation for a month and when I came back the car wouldn't start. Which was confirmation that yes slower cranking proceeds dead battery.

Anyway it's always been around 5 years. I was wondering if this car might have a cheap battery. Had a rental on vacation in Singapore and we ended up stranded with a dead battery. The car was a 2 year old Dawoo. Sounds like 2.5 would be pretty unusual for this car so I'll wait and see. Could be I'm just imaging things

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
4 years and no problems so far. However I turned off my stop/start permanently 3 years ago.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
What's a stop/start?

The annoying system by which the car shuts off the engine when you came to a stop. Then the moment you push on the throttle the car starts again.