GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dutch's Awesome GTI Nonsense And Belated Build Info Thread

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Got married on Saturday. The ring doesn't fit my left hand but it's perfect on my right so I figured I was good to go until I Googled it and found out wearing it there meant I was a gay left-handed Pole looking for an outside relationship.

Mrs Dutch says we're getting a correctly sized ring tomorrow.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Not that there's anything wrong with being a lefty. Sorry if I gave a bad impression there, my dad and oldest sister are both southpaws.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I bought an 034 insert before I had the car on hand. Like, before March of this year. And just today got around to installing it. It took longer to look up the torque specs and round up the tools than it did to install.

Kids, do as Uncle Dutch says and not as he does. Never, ever, get under a car supported only by a jack. Getting under a car like this is legitimately stupid and should not be done. Anyone dumb enough to do so and then post a picture of it online deserves to be ridiculed.

NVH is just ever so slightly increased but in a wonderful way. It feels great, and the 1 -> 2 shift is noticeably cleaner. I have the last autocross event of the year scheduled for the 21st and am looking forward to seeing what sort of difference it makes there.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Today I played with VCDS a little bit and coded the starting vibration off as well as the ESC to experiment with tomorrow during autocross. I already know ESC sport gets better times from previous trials so I want to see if there's any benefit to taking it a step further on a closed course.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Today was a good day.

Not GTI related but Santa Claus brought Mrs Dutch a heated seat kit for Christmas. I pulled the seats on her car and installed the pads last on Christmas but Santa neglected to bring her fuse adders so I had to wait to finish the wiring today. Everything is now hooked up and working with the control button nicely placed between shifter and cupholders.

I also received DeAuto plate and brake LED's which I popped in today. Plate bulbs are programmed and working nicely. Having an issue with the right brake lights which I'm working on but it's too dark and cold to continue for today.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I'm in operations for a distribution center. The entire company is rolling out a new management program to optimize all of our in-house processes. Not quite Amazon level tech but a good improvement over current. It's a six-month process per distribution center and we're next. The last four months have been very busy.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Regarding the brake light issue above...

DeAuto sent me a replacement brake bulb after we narrowed it down. I got it a while ago but never got around to installing it until today. I got that taken care of and all my tail lights now match. Yay!

I also installed my DynaBlink mirror inserts. Super simple to do.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Glad you got it solved.

One of my deauto brake lights from the secret santa gift intermittently throws a bulb out error. I moved it from the turn signal (outer) to the tail light (inner) so the times when it's out, it's a little more safe. Kinda sucks because I don't think they'll honor the warranty being that it was a gift and I wasn't the purchaser, no receipt, etc. I'll write them a note, but I'm not expecting anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Exciting day here. I've been smelling exhaust a bit for the last couple of days but didn't have a chance to look into it. Today on the highway my EPC light came on. The car was running fine but there was no boost pressure. I got back home and confirmed my suspicions: the DP clamp was loose. Loose enough to swing completely upside down.

Got her sorted out, cleared the codes, and took a quick romp around the block to make sure she's cured. All better now.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
BFI stage 2 mounts all around went in today. This is a pretty simple DIY if you have the correct tools. The motor mount is the easiest, followed by the dogbone insert, while the transmission mount is a bit of a pain due to the location of the four frame bolts.

First up was the transmission mount. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, so well done BFI. None of it was really difficult but clearance for the frame bolts made that part time consuming.

The motor mount was easy, I just made sure to pad the jack while I was supporting the engine.

The insert was last. Getting it started was a royal pain even with it lubed up. Once I got it started a mallet did nothing so I pulled the jack under the car with me and used that to finish pressing the insert into place. When I pulled the 034 insert out I saw that it was bent like I'd heard could happen.

Once everything was all together I took it out for a quick test. As expected, I had Christmas in April from pulling the battery but that sorted itself out quickly.

Guys...These mounts are something else.When I first started the car I thought I had forgotten to put the intake back together, the difference in sound and feeling was that dramatic. These mounts are not for everyone by any means, but I absolutely love it. The car feels raw and menacing before it even moves.