GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enkei nt03 or vmr710??

Justin0122

Ready to race!
Does anyone run 18" Enkei nt03 and do you have a pictures of them on your car? Also torn between vmr710's in 18" or 19". Any pictures or advise would be much appreciated

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The cost jumps from 18" to 19" for wheels and tires.
Just keep this in mind if budget is concern in future for tires.
Also remember low profile tires like pot holes.
18" likely bend less than 19". Also ride quality for 18 is likely better.
Take into consideration what roads are like that you drive on.
19" look better but if a DD then think about 18".
Some 18" look bigger than they are.
Use my link below to see my 18" Leggera's.

Justin0122

Ready to race!
The cost jumps from 18" to 19" for wheels and tires.
Just keep this in mind if budget is concern in future for tires.
Also remember low profile tires like pot holes.
18" likely bend less than 19". Also ride quality for 18 is likely better.
Take into consideration what roads are like that you drive on.
19" look better but if a DD then think about 18".
Some 18" look bigger than they are.
Use my link below to see my 18" Leggera's.

Good point, after thinking about it I'm gunna stick with 18's but I'd hate to buy a set of wheels then not like them as much as I thought I would

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Good point, after thinking about it I'm gunna stick with 18's but I'd hate to buy a set of wheels then not like them as much as I thought I would

I would suggest looking more.
This way you give yourself more time to decide just what you want.
Do not rush in or you might pick what you think you need and not want you will like everyday.
Bending an Austin rim turned me back to 18" wheels.
I was also set to get 19" for looks.
I find now my 18"s look great and feel great.

Also remember 19" are heavier than 18".
Lighter wheels feel great on a GTI.

jhileman79

Ready to race!
I really like my Enkei Raijin's 18's. I thought about 19's but the lighter wheels sold me. I think the right pair of 18's look great on GTIs!!

Swoope

Ready to race!
I really like my Enkei Raijin's 18's. I thought about 19's but the lighter wheels sold me. I think the right pair of 18's look great on GTIs!!

remember with 18 inch wheels the tires are also lighter and much less expensive also..

beers

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

19" for sure will give you better "visual" appeal, but when it comes to everyday drive ability/durability the 18" will be much better.
I see you're in Baltimore. Roads aren't the best in that area due to the winter. You will bend a 19" rim. Give yourself a fighting chance with an 18" and a bit of sidewall.

18" tires will be cheaper as well.

VMR are nice looking, but heavy. Enkei NT03 are sweet looking. I love the look. Not sure you're going to see many of those on a Mk7 either. You could always get them custom painted to look even more unique.

FYI: Don't powder coat them. BBS, Volk and Advan will void your warranty if you powder coat their wheels. There are low temp powder coatings that are specifically made for aluminum rims, but not many shops use them. HRE only started powder coating their wheels when the low temp came out.

remember with 18 inch wheels the tires are also lighter and much less expensive also..
Yeah, most 18" wheels are lighter than 19", but the corresponding tires aren't.
I too thought the higher profile tires would be lighter or at least same weight,
but since I saw trustworthy weight data, I had to admit, that higher profile
tires tend to be slightly heavier instead. :(

I second your recommendation for 18" though. ;)

....when it comes to everyday drive ability/durability the 18" will be much better.
Don't powder coat them. BBS, Volk and Advan will void your warranty if you powder coat their wheels. There are low temp powder coatings that are specifically made for aluminum rims, but not many shops use them. HRE only started powder coating their wheels when the low temp came out.
Agree esp. with powder coatings, conventional treatments will weaken the wheel.
The actual danger is, you can't see it.

Justin0122

Ready to race!
19" for sure will give you better "visual" appeal, but when it comes to everyday drive ability/durability the 18" will be much better.
I see you're in Baltimore. Roads aren't the best in that area due to the winter. You will bend a 19" rim. Give yourself a fighting chance with an 18" and a bit of sidewall.

VMR are nice looking, but heavy. Enkei NT03 are sweet looking. I love the look. Not sure you're going to see many of those on a Mk7 either. You could always get them custom painted to look even more unique.

FYI: Don't powder coat them. BBS, Volk and Advan will void your warranty if you powder coat their wheels. There are low temp powder coatings that are specifically made for aluminum rims, but not many shops use them. HRE only started powder coating their wheels when the low temp came out.

thanks for the info, really appreciate the advice

soundmike

Passed Driver's Ed
If you feel 18's might look small, just make sure you get a style without a pronounced lip. The lip will always make the wheel look smaller than it actually is.

Also, about the powder coating thing -- that was a great comment. Problem with traditional PC methods is that the high heat affects the metallurgy of the wheel, rendering it weaker.