GOLFMKV

Detailing: I don't get it

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Marvin won't approve - you know that? :rolleyes:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
The result:

The beading after the inevitable shower that followed just or so 24 hours later:

That is a cool pic :cool:
Not overly impressed by the beading, but then I'm a wax fan and not so much a Megs fan :eek:

Bunyarra

New GT : Dealer valet fix

Hi all,

Lurked for a fair bit while our new GT 140ps DSG was being built. Our 2nd Golf - replaces a Mk5 handed down to our daughter :)

For those who question the need for more than a simple wash - I have been detailing my cars for about 7 years - the difference after while between one cared for well and one cleaned with little attention is remarkable. The paintwork on the last Golf was immaculate (aside from stone chips).

Anyhow .. new addition to the family finally arrived

Despite requests to the contrary, the dealer insisted on lovingly roughing up the car with a sponge and some carefully chosen grit - the poor thing was liberally decorated with swirls.

So, first a good soak and wash with Dodo Born to be Mild. Good spray with tar and iron remover followed by a claying using one of the new clay mitts (good products though more aggressive than a bar).

2nd wash and wipe down with IPA to get rid of any remaining clay mitt marks.

Then out with an assortment of compounds and pads. In 6 months, I had forgotten just how hard VAG paint was ... took 5 hours with a decent DA polisher but she was finally as swirl free as my poor back could make her :)

Another good wash, wipe with IPA then sealed with Gtechniq C2V3 and will put the excellent G5 water repellant costing on all glass today.

This work will last a good 6-8 months with a decent 2 bucket wash and my favourite noodle mitts. A diluted spray of C2V3 to keep the paint looking smart.

If you don't or can't do this initial prep yourself, I really do recommend a decent detailer - get the car in good condition right at the beginning and it is far easier to keep it maintained.

Some of the prep can't be skipped - unless you do remove the iron bits and give the car a good claying, the paint surface is just not in decent enough shape for things like sealants and waxes to bind well.

Hom hum ... sorry for a lengthy first post but I hate to see expensive new cars look like they have gone 10 rounds with Tyson+grit sponge. Just want to persuade doubters that it is worth the effort :)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Looking great - lovely colour, but I have to admit a degree of bias ;)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Other than Golf Mk6 Cabrio demo currently at my local dealership, I've never seen another Sunset Red Golf.

Bunyarra

Other than Golf Mk6 Cabrio demo currently at my local dealership, I've never seen another Sunset Red Golf.

Agreed.

As long suffering Car OCD, how have you found the paint?

I tried a few of Meg's lighter compounds and nothing really touched the swirls. In the end 2-3 passes of Scholl S17+ on hard pads did the trick. Same compound on a black hex refined it nicely but was a real pain. Worse than the old Mk5.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Mine didn't need any work - as the dealer's hadn't had a chance to ruin in, there was no swirling etc. I don't polish if it doesn't need it.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I have a Sunset Red Estate and would post a photo but the process is way beyond this geriatric's IT abilities.

Have a look here - I posted a photo tutorial some months ago which should help.

GC854

Ready to race!
Have a look here - I posted a photo tutorial some months ago which should help.

Cheers Rob, I wish I had seen this earlier/ I will ensure future pics are no larger than 1000 wotsits across