GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nav Pro Firmware Error

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

So I purchased a Golf earlier in the year and absolutely love it!
There has just been one issue from the begining - the DAB option would dissapear from the menu, sport mode sometimes turns itself on or off when I start the ignition and lately the touchsceen occasionally freezes for a minute or 2 when I first start the car. My car has the Nav Pro unit (MIB1).

I have had a look online and it appears these are known issues with some firmware, after a quick check I was running 0095, one of the first releases. I was taking my car into VW for another job, so I asked them to also update the firmware to hopefully get these issues sorted. However they informed me that they were unable to perform the update, so my infotainment unit must be faulty and will need replacing...

As soon as I got into my car and started the engine, I got an error message saying - 'Error - Software Download', if I press details it shows that 'Software update in progress... Finished: 0 Remaining: 22 - Progress: 0%'. So straight back into the dealer... It's a long story but basically they can't do anything more, but will take another look overnight to 'reset it'.

I now have my car back still with the error. It's now stuck trying to update and tells me to reinsert the update media to continue. I have actually tried with an SD card with the firmware myself, but whilst it detects there is firmware on the SD card, it can't update it, as when I try I end up back at the error screen, saying an update is in progress.
One thing I did notice was that my part number on the display ended with an 'A' when it went in and now it ends in a 'D', however the SW version remains on 0095.

Right now, I would like to just reset the unit, so that it stops thinking its applying an update. I have tried the usual hold for 10 seconds, factory reset from the menu and I believe VW disconnected the battery, but it still hasn't cleared it. Is there anyone that knows what I can do to recover it from this error? Surely some of the installers that retrofit the MIB2s or people that are familiar with VCDS/VAGCOM will know more than the guys at VW?!
They have informed me that its been escalated to VW in Germany and the result is I need a new infotainment unit... Which they quoted there and then.
Other than the few issues which are known bugs in the old firmware, the unit has been working fine, so I don't believe that requiring a new infotainment unit is the only option to fix this!
I really don't trust the dealer with my car again, I had a few other smaller issues with them too. However if there is nothing else I can do, then it will have to be disputed with them, as I also feel (and have add advise from others) that they should be responsible for fixing this, as it worked, to some degree, when it went in - There were no errors previously, just a few known bugs in the software.

Thanks in advance for any help.