GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

does coasting in neutral damage my automatic golf?

soooty

does coasting in neutral damage my automatic golf? I use neutral a lot. even at over 100mph. I know it has coast function in eco but it doesn't work for example if your braking, so i prefer to push into neutral to coast and brake to a stop. yeh i know that expensive in brake pads without benefit of engine braking.. but fuel is more expensive than pads. Anyway. am I doing any damage to the engine or DSG? Thanks

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Quick note: Don't coast in neutral at 100 mph, while I understand you want to save money that is basically putting everyone else around you at more risk if something were to go wrong. Yes, the ABS will still function as will ASC, etc . . but you GREATLY diminish the braking capabilities of the car (no engine braking and automatic downshifts).

The engine should go into fuel cut mode after only a few seconds while coasting without using the gas. So, while it will be engine breaking, you will not be using any gas at that time.

Now that all of that is out of the way . . . NO. You can shift into Neutral when going 10, 50, 100 mph and it will not hurt your DSG. As long as you re-engage the DSG WITHOUT pressing on the gas, it should automatically read the current speed and choose the correct gear to shift back into before you press on the gas.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah what globalrebel said. If you put the MFD in "Consumption" mode, where it tracks your instantaneous consumption, you'll notice that a few seconds after letting go of the gas in gear it will turn into 3 flat lines

like this:

"---"

^that means that the engine is in fuel cut mode, meaning no fuel is being injected, and the engine becomes a dead weight on the driveline, slowing your car down. so you actually get both the fuel economy benefits (because the engine still uses fuel in neutral, just not much), and the additional braking and control of having the transmission engaged.