GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Heel / Toe" Accelerator Pedal Extension

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
And no the pedal isn't slippery when wet, as I said before. No my review wasn't fake. What would I gain from that?

That was your review? I didn't pay attention to the name, I was just saying it's possible. The review sounded absolutely legitimate to me.

By the way, this Ivy League non-liberal who just installed a 20' flagpole in front of his house, including a 1000-pound self-poured concrete base, thanks you for your service to our country.

'Murica [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

CBR2

Passed Driver's Ed
Razo

Spoke to them in CA requesting more info including photos of install in GTI. Initial response was that if application isn't shown on their fitting / product selection guide (no VWs are shown on product selections guide) then they do not recommend installing one of their pedal covers/extensions on GTI.

Asked 'em for generic info nonetheless. We'll see what I get.

In the meantime, here is diagram obtained from their Japanese site of mounting system. It uses a strapped-based system to first install mount to OEM pedal to which the Razo cover/extension is then attached by machine screws. Not sure what straps are made of, how they are cinched down tight, how much "damage" they could to do plastic spine of OEM pedal assembly, how robust they are or whether mount could slip off bottom of OEM pedal especially given shape of back of GTI pedal.

Was told that should one strap break, the remaining strap should be sufficient to hold unit in place adequately until whole unit could be removed for repair/replacement. I had considered straps for my prototype but believe using 4 independent "L" clips each secured with machine screw is more robust design and offers greater redundancy. A strapped-based system is more generic, able to fit various cars.

Still not sure how height adjustable the Razo system is or how that height is achieved. Perhaps with cylindrical spacers between mounting plate and cover/extension.

Big issue remains amount of brake pedal-gas pedal gap decreased through use of Razo.

Additionally info will be posted as obtained.

Attachments

• imgrc0062828277-1.jpg
    imgrc0062828277-1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 943
Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yikes - screw clamps. Personally, I wouldn't trust them even if they are stainless.

Do you know how to safety wire?

wave

Ready to race!
If I'm the only one here who can't stand this guys attitude and pompous nature, I would be shocked.

And any moron who refers incorrectly to driving shoes as "clown shoes" is an asshole.

In light of the fact that we may never see pictures of the "Amazon" one installed here on the GTI, I was thinking of also ordering the Amazon one to check it out (I guess you can always return it if it doesn't work as expected / represented). There are two sizes, a small and a large, on Amazon. I'm going to call the company whose website I posted above regarding Razo pedals and see what they have to say about GTI application.

DIY can often produce superior results as your options are less limited but I'm all for checking out the aftermarket too.

As to the naysayers here about DIY options, these are people who often don't feel comfortable working with their hands or otherwise have "tool" envy -- they pay others to do even simple jobs and are as far from being self-sufficient as one could imagine. As a graduate of Ivy League schools (both undergrad and grad schools) but as someone who also welds, builds structures, does my own electrical and plumbing, as well as pretty much all of my own other mechanical work including extensive modifications to the Tahoe and Miata for example (left the M Roadster stock for now), I am quite comfortable and capable of modifying mechanical devices.

And as to the comment from the guy who wears clown shoes when he drives so he sees no need to close the gap, well that comment of his speaks for itself, I think.

By the way, this Ivy League non-liberal who just installed a 20' flagpole in front of his house, including a 1000-pound self-poured concrete base, thanks you for your service to our country.

CBR2

Passed Driver's Ed
Yikes - screw clamps. Personally, I wouldn't trust them even if they are stainless.

Do you know how to safety wire?

I do (and I do safety wire under the hood on modded vehicles as well as on mooring system for boats) and understand your concern about worm-type screw clamps loosening.

But, I'm not sure if Razo system uses worm-type screw, may use a ratcheting-type mechanism like a cable tie, for example.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If I'm the only one here who can't stand this guys attitude and pompous nature, I would be shocked.

And any moron who refers incorrectly to driving shoes as "clown shoes" is an asshole.

Then just move along, nothing to see here. Like the mods have already said.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I do (and I do safety wire under the hood on modded vehicles as well as on mooring system for boats) and understand your concern about worm-type screw clamps loosening.

But, I'm not sure if Razo system uses worm-type screw, may use a ratcheting-type mechanism like a cable tie, for example.

Need a view of the other side, but they sure look like screw clamps.

wave

Ready to race!
Then just move along, nothing to see here. Like the mods have already said.

Duly noted.

They aren't worm geared strap clamps or hose clamps. As seen in OPs diagram from the company itself, they provide 2 steel bands that you use to go around the back of the pedal, and then bolt together tightly. I personally used blue threadlocker on the bolts. I have no worry that the straps would break, as they are very secure. This is not some plastic pedal cover set you buy at Advanced Auto for your Civic.

If I didn't think the pedal was secure or fixed soundly, I wouldn't drive with it, plain and simple. I trust the hardware that was supplied more than I would trust the plastic pedal mounts and hardware used by VW for the Gas and Clutch pedal on my GTI.

Also, yes the spacers provided are cylindrical bushings of various heights, along with subsequent bolts of varying lengths to go with which spacer length you chose. I believe there were 3 different length spacers, iirc.

Like someone else said, no one is making you put this on your car. I was just trying to share my experience and recommendation about the very same issue I had when I bought this car. Excuse me for trying to provide some positive feedback for others who may genuinely want/need it, but if it doesn't apply to you, don't buy the damn things.

I took pictures but can't seem to get them hosted, I'll be sending them via PM/email for those members who asked me for them. Sorry I don't have more time to post pictures to the internet, I'm back on shift in a couple hours.

Last edited:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
The nice thing is you don't have to do anything you don't want. How about instead of providing nothing but negativity, you just keep scrolling without commenting. Thanks.

So now we're not allowed to comment on posts? Wow Mr. Jay, getting rough up in here.

No idea how well this one attaches, but it looks fantastic functionally and otherwise:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=491746&postcount=33
and, you can buy replacement little rubber grip pieces...

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Y'all are salty today...

Everybody have a Snickers already.

wave

Ready to race!
So now we're not allowed to comment on posts? Wow Mr. Jay, getting rough up in here.

No idea how well this one attaches, but it looks fantastic functionally and otherwise:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=491746&postcount=33
and, you can buy replacement little rubber grip pieces...

Ah, yes this is the thread where slipperywhenwet told me about the Razo pedals.

Sorry so big.

You can see in the front shot that the bottom of the pedal has a portion that can be adjusted for how wide it fans out towards the left to help fill the gap between the pedals, I would assume depending on the vehicle and how much space there was. I set mine to the max width, and there is a much better surface to heel-toe on, and for me, I wouldn't want it any close. However, as I mentioned to you before, this is the small pedal, and I do not know how much larger (wider and taller) the Large would be, but that might be better for some people.

In the other pic you can see the height, which for me was actually more important, and why I bought the pedal in the first place. The gas pedal is far too low from the factory, so I used the largest spacer they provided, which I would guess raised the entire pedal surface maybe an inch or more, to where you can see it is in line with the brake. This was the most important thing for me, and it has been great since I put it on a few months ago, and I drive my car hard. Hope this helps someone.

CBR2

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah, yes this is the thread where slipperywhenwet told me about the Razo pedals.

Sorry so big.

You can see in the front shot that the bottom of the pedal has a portion that can be adjusted for how wide it fans out towards the left to help fill the gap between the pedals, I would assume depending on the vehicle and how much space there was. I set mine to the max width, and there is a much better surface to heel-toe on, and for me, I wouldn't want it any close. However, as I mentioned to you before, this is the small pedal, and I do not know how much larger (wider and taller) the Large would be, but that might be better for some people.

In the other pic you can see the height, which for me was actually more important, and why I bought the pedal in the first place. The gas pedal is far too low from the factory, so I used the largest spacer they provided, which I would guess raised the entire pedal surface maybe an inch or more, to where you can see it is in line with the brake. This was the most important thing for me, and it has been great since I put it on a few months ago, and I drive my car hard. Hope this helps someone.

Damn nice of you to post those photos which I requested.

Gap still seems somewhat too wide to me.

Gonna stick with my DIY project for now given greater flexibility and perhaps better mounting system.

Also, I think you've got accelerator pedal too high relative to gas.

wave

Ready to race!
Well, this is the "small" pedal. Razo has the same pedal in a "large" version, which I would imagine would take up more of the gap that you feel is too wide. For me, I wouldn't want it any close.

Also, can you clarify when you said I've got the accelerator pedal too high relative to the gas? Did you mean relative to the brake? If so, you would just use a smaller spacer bushing set, as I stated before they include 3 sizes, plus the option of not using any spacers. I went with the tallest, and it is exactly what I wanted.

10/10

Damn nice of you to post those photos which I requested.

Gap still seems somewhat too wide to me.

Gonna stick with my DIY project for now given greater flexibility and perhaps better mounting system.

Also, I think you've got accelerator pedal too high relative to gas.

CBR2

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, this is the "small" pedal. Razo has the same pedal in a "large" version, which I would imagine would take up more of the gap that you feel is too wide. For me, I wouldn't want it any close.

Also, can you clarify when you said I've got the accelerator pedal too high relative to the gas? Did you mean relative to the brake? If so, you would just use a smaller spacer bushing set, as I stated before they include 3 sizes, plus the option of not using any spacers. I went with the tallest, and it is exactly what I wanted.

10/10

This gap maybe fine for some. I like to be able to keep heel on floor while rolling foot over to blip accelerator instead of pivoting lifted heel towards accelerator to blip gas so I need smaller gap.

Yes, I think your accelerator is too high vs brake. I know that u can lower it and think u should because it looks like when you brake moderately to heavily your brake pedal height will be lower than gas.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Yes, I think your accelerator is too high vs brake. I know that u can lower it and think u should because it looks like when you brake moderately to heavily your brake pedal height will be lower than gas.

I would agree with this but it depends on how you drive. I think I would want the gas pedal as low as possible, because when I'm threshold braking at the track, the brake pedal is pretty far down making it hard to get the other part of my foot over to the gas.

Thanks a ton for posting those pics, I'm for sure going to buy and install that. And OP, I wish you luck on your DIY. Always nice to be able to make things however you want and to your personal liking.