GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R MHGERD - 2016 Golf R DSG Oryx White - The "not a build thread" build thread

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Not much to update right now, did take the car for a nice Christmas Eve blast in the mountains with another hot hatchback:

20171224_100607_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Sandman, I've thought about those inserts, ECS even sells pre-cut vinyl for that. I'm just not sure it's something I need, could just make the car look busy. Or it could be awesome haha, not sure. Might give it a try later on though!

I am also about to place my order for Bilstein B8 shocks and the new 034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts! Just doing a bit more research, but these babies are pretty!

https://store.034motorsport.com/dyn...i-r-8v-8s-audi-a3-s3-rs3-tt-tts-ttrs-mqb.html

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Orders placed! Should have my new suspension setup within the next few weeks.

Bilstein Sport B8 shocks
eMMotion Springs (on car now)
034 Dynamic+ Front shock mounts
034 HD rear shock mounts

The goal is to put together the ultimate "cup kit". Something that performs well without the need to adjust or compromise on comfort. I think this is it.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Big Update with some part reviews! I'm going to copy/paste and modify what I had posted on the 034 strut mount thread here to add some feedback on the bilstein shocks.

I had my new suspension setup installed Saturday at Emmanule Design in Anaheim. Here are the parts they installed, as well as what I currently have installed:

Bilstein B8 shocks F/R
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 HD Rear Shock Mounts
New OEM Strut bearings

eMMotion Lowering springs (have been on the vehicle for 20k+ miles)
eMMotion Rear Sway Bar (has been installed for 10k+ miles)

An alignment was done after the installation. I need to look into it a bit more but my camber and caster were uneven L/R. I'm guessing from a shifted subframe, I don't think that was touched. If we even the 2 sides out it gives me about -2.3-2.4 each side. Here's the alignment sheet:

20180115_115206 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I've put about 125 miles on this setup so far, 90% of it being street and highway miles and 10% of it being a very spirited blast through Little Tujunga road on Sunday. One of my favorite canyon roads as it's fairly tight so the speeds stay low overall versus with longer sweepers like on Hwy 2.

Street and Highway impressions, the car turns sharply and drives well. Massive improvement in ride quality and comfort from the bilsteins, like it's a completely new car. Bumps are sharper because of the mounts but the car is so much more controlled and stable over bumps, dips, road imperfections, etc. Really the biggest surprise there.

I'd say that there is a increase in road noise with the mounts, maybe 25% more which is expected. No additional vibrations or odd feelings in the steering wheel. More road is transferred directly into the car due to less isolation but nothing that a few clicks of your radio can't solve. No low speed noise from the mounts, aside from bumps transferring more noise the suspension is 100% quiet at all speeds.

Canyon impressions, there was a huge change in handling dynamics with the new shocks, but until I put some more time on the setup I'm a bit torn. I think the car has actually softened up in corners, to the point that I felt the car wallow a bit through corner and my brain went "that's not good". Totally controlled, no rubbing or bottoming out, but I guess I was expecting the shocks to give a bit more compression damping over the stock shocks.

The biggest improvement I think is from the mounts and the ability to hear what each corner is doing. With less isolation in the front and rear mounts, tire noise is transferred into the cabin in hard cornering, giving you much better feedback on how hard it's working. As soon as you're in a corner you can hear the grip/howl come up from the fenders. I pushed the car as hard as I like to and could tell when I could apply more throttle in a corner or when I could turn harder. Very nice improvement there, and a reasonable trade for the NVH increases.

Front mounts, $300 to get over -2 degrees front camber without any real negatives or concerns you'd have with spherical bearing camber plates, these things are a bargain. If you don't like the idea of some additional road noise but want negative camber up front you'd have to look to $1000 lower control arms or some hybrid Clubsport setup. I think these mounts are WELL worth any trade offs.

Rear mounts,
you could probably do without and be fine, but I do like hearing more tire feedback, and at $40 each they are cheaper than most OEM mounts I found online.

Shocks, I just need more time to give my feedback. My goal was to create the "ultimate cup kit" with this suspension, something that gives you some mild lowering without compromises in spring rate, handling, comfort, and is very function in the canyons and on the track. On the street the car feels damn near luxurious, I no longer dread rough pavement, potholes, etc. In the canyons the car was rock solid and didn't even blink during the drive, and soaked up the odd mid-corner bumps that could have really unsettled a stiffer setup. The car feels like it wants to rotate into the turns more now, and grip was always there. My plan is to spend as much time driving the canyons as I can and plan a track day soon to familiarize myself with the car again and update later on.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Do you plan on getting bigger tire? you're pretty much running the same suspension set up I have (minus the camber mounts) and have been staring at the rennforms for almost a month now deciding on what tire to fit..i want to get a 255/35 tire just want to make sure I won't have any rubbing issues.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Do you plan on getting bigger tire? you're pretty much running the same suspension set up I have (minus the camber mounts) and have been staring at the rennforms for almost a month now deciding on what tire to fit..i want to get a 255/35 tire just want to make sure I won't have any rubbing issues.
No plans, but I would bet I could run a 255/35 Continental Extreme sport without rubbing. Not sure on other tire brands that might have a squarer profile. I'll have to take some pictures of the wheels with camber now, I'm honestly considering spacers up front now because of it. Another degree of negative camber up front gives you a ton of tire to fender clearance.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Big Update with some part reviews! I'm going to copy/paste and modify what I had posted on the 034 strut mount thread here to add some feedback on the bilstein shocks.

I had my new suspension setup installed Saturday at Emmanule Design in Anaheim. Here are the parts they installed, as well as what I currently have installed:

Bilstein B8 shocks F/R
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 HD Rear Shock Mounts
New OEM Strut bearings

eMMotion Lowering springs (have been on the vehicle for 20k+ miles)
eMMotion Rear Sway Bar (has been installed for 10k+ miles)

An alignment was done after the installation. I need to look into it a bit more but my camber and caster were uneven L/R. I'm guessing from a shifted subframe, I don't think that was touched. If we even the 2 sides out it gives me about -2.3-2.4 each side. Here's the alignment sheet:

20180115_115206 by Jon Collier,

Try the tyrolsport deadset bolt kit. It helped center my subframe

rr1santos

Ready to race!
No plans, but I would bet I could run a 255/35 Continental Extreme sport without rubbing. Not sure on other tire brands that might have a squarer profile. I'll have to take some pictures of the wheels with camber now, I'm honestly considering spacers up front now because of it. Another degree of negative camber up front gives you a ton of tire to fender clearance.

nice, you happy with the 034 mounts?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Try the tyrolsport deadset bolt kit. It helped center my subframe
I could do that, or I could have paid the shop to center the subframe and retorque everything during the alignment. I'm happy with how it's sitting but I might address it later.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
nice, you happy with the 034 mounts?
So far yeah. Probably unnecessary/overkill for my daily use but in the canyons and for future track days I think they'll pay off big time.

If anything changes I will definitely update the thread!

rr1santos

Ready to race!
So far yeah. Probably unnecessary/overkill for my daily use but in the canyons and for future track days I think they'll pay off big time.

If anything changes I will definitely update the thread!

awesome..i daily my R as well. Also drag and canyon fun.. my buddy is getting me into autox which I should be starting soon. debating between these and the ground control plates.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
awesome..i daily my R as well. Also drag and canyon fun.. my buddy is getting me into autox which I should be starting soon. debating between these and the ground control plates.

For a daily car I wouldn't go with a spherical bearing camber plate. If you want/need the negative camber I would go with the 034 mounts only, or stick with OEM mounts and get camber through SuperPro control arms. More expensive but they also reduce weight, add caster, and replace 2 bushings with harder rubber. One or the other. If costs were the same I would have gone with the control arms to be honest.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Updated the first post with my rather embarrassingly long mod list, previously owned parts and planned parts!

EmollientFoil

Just wanted to check in and say thanks for giving me advice on instagram the other day; I was looking at build threads and knew I recognized this car! Looks good man keep it up.