GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Mud flaps yes?
Or mud flaps no?
The great debate.

With our first snow I pulled into Walmart and parked near the other GTI on town. I do not see often but it is a stock GTI White.

I noticed the difference in the amount of snow on his non mud flap car compared to mine with mud flaps. I think flaps are needed. For comparison if you are on the fence.

His

Mine

His

Mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jlungo

Ready to race!
I've got to ask what your secret is to such a clean engine bay.
Chemical guys all purpose cleaner diluted. Spray entire engine bay caution wires. Scrub it with brush. Powerwash it down haha

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Chemical guys all purpose cleaner diluted. Spray entire engine bay caution wires. Scrub it with brush. Powerwash it down haha

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Not sure I'm brave enough. I've heard horror stories of people powerwashing their engine bay. I know you'd want to avoid things like the alternator, wiring harnesses (as much as possible at least), etc.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sir I feel like this was made for your car... that is all.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Volk...gsbee&utm_campaign=vw_new_mk7intake_1_23_2018

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks.
I noticed this when released. It looks like a piece many have wanted regarding design and function. Dual intakes feeding directly to the OE filter housing.
As it meets OE housing it could be used with other aftermarket options.
I have some CF pieces that I want to see how they hold up in engine bay. I had CF mirror caps that cracked after a year. Hopefully just quality of material and the engine pieces will hold up better. I think this part would sell better on forum in plastic. But someone posted recently that the mold cost for a CF part is cheaper for smaller runs compared to an injected mold. So maybe plastic would not lower cost much unless many made.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've got to ask what your secret is to such a clean engine bay.

For starters I do not have to deal with gravel roads like some on the Forum. I also live on the country so have less dirty road spray compared to those in bigger cities. I have only once used water to clean it. The other time I wipe down with 1Z. To clean I spray down with 1Z and let it sit. On my truck I use engine cleaner. Not wanting to test GTI with that. Then I use a detailer brush to work in areas. With hose sprayer on very fine mist wash it down. Do again based on what I miss. I have covered electrical items with aluminum foil. Water proof and forms well around items. Walmart bag also works but does not stay in place as well. Then I use blower to dry well. I wipe down with either 303 or Audi Cockpit cleaner. 303 leaves a gloss finish with more protection. Cockpit cleaner is more like a very thin mineral spirit mix. I have not had to clean CF as much but might need to try CF cleaner. I now tread like painter surface as it has a thick clear coat.

I also suggest chemical guys snow foam for use in engine. Slick and gentle.
I use honeydew. Smells good. Just make a light mixture in spray bottle.

Remember pics on forum are taken after cleaning normally so best case scenario!

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not sure I'm brave enough. I've heard horror stories of people powerwashing their engine bay. I know you'd want to avoid things like the alternator, wiring harnesses (as much as possible at least), etc.

I also would need to want to use power washer.
I use the type of spray nozzle that screws on end of hose. Old school design.
This way you can just have open with fine mist. Any areas of concern, wrap in aluminum foil. Remove as soon as finished and dry. I use blower but hand MF towels will get job done. Then start and run engine as soon as you can after drying.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Work had some old Firestone and Bridgestone pictures to get rid of so had a silent auction to raise some charity money. Picked up a nicely framed Indy 500 Firestone picture. Added next to tire rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro