GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD vs. Wavetrac - Direct Comparison & Great Writeup

ATX_MK7

I tried setting the VAQ to 'increased traction', attempted to do the reset, and got the error "Coding rejected error 13 Incorrect message length or invalid format".

Has anyone else run into this? I have a '17 Sport DSG.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I tried setting the VAQ to 'increased traction', attempted to do the reset, and got the error "Coding rejected error 13 Incorrect message length or invalid format".

I had no issues with my' 17 sport.

ATX_MK7

I tried this again today, because I had the car in 'Custom' mode yesterday, and thought that might be messing me up. I performed the adaptation, tried the reset again, and got the same error. So, I backed out of the driveway, went for another drive, and definitely noticed the difference!

Maybe it's not necessary for the VAQ? I see these same steps when increasing traction on the Haldex for the R, so maybe these were holdover instructions?

At any rate, traction seems improved!

ATX_MK7

What version of VCDS are you using?
Currently it's at version 17.8:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/index.php

Try updating and trying again after the update :)

I have an ODB Eleven, not VCDS. I have the latest version of the app, maybe I should file a bug ticket.

Update: I registered on the ODBEleven forums and submitted a bug. I'll turn it back to 'Normal' in the morning, and see what the Devs say.

Last edited:

alper

Ready to race!
Funny enough I found this (very interesting) thread through a SEAT forum, go figure... Can't wait to try the VAQ mod in my CS as since 1.5 years ago that I read the first reviews about the CS and that the diff lacked the performance of a SEAT Leon Cupra Sub8 (Europeans will know what I'm talking about) and the subsequent reviews of the CSS that did not include comments like "the diff lacks a bit in 10/10) I was damn sure it was all down to the coding as the units were mechanically the same, and that the most "track-focused" versions of this platform like the CSS and the Cupra Sub8 were set at the most aggressive setting from factory. Now finally there is evidence to back this theory of mine and will report back. I will also try to find what's the setting on a CSS so as to have some hard data as well and not just feelings.

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for looking into that, alper! I've noticed that even day-to-day driving the car is noticeably more capable. Much less reliant on the ASR and ESP for slip limitation. Makes it less frustrating trying to put power down on the OE all-season tires in any type of "point and squirt" situation on the road.

SlyGtiGuy

It is a very worthwhile mod, well depending on what you do with the car. Being a 6MT non-PP, I had it installed when I upgraded my clutch, which helped make that bullet a little... softer I guess? lol that and my shop gave me a fantastic price on everything in regards to labor.

Being a Wavetrac owner myself, the thing completely transforms the handling of the car coming from non-PP, I mean you feel it as soon as you pull out of a driveway. It's similar to that feeling you get when you first upgrade your RSB, but also a completely different sensation. Car just feels so damn planted... best way I can describe it. It feels amazing when pulling out of corners.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which part# /version of the wavetrac diff fits the 6mt for the mk7 could you help me out :confused:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
I'm still running this adaptation setting. Definitely allows the front of the car to work a bit better overall. "Normal" drive mode seems to be a bit more aggressive than "Sport" with the standard programming. "Sport" drive mode with this programming definitely acts a bit more aggressive with reaction as well as clamping force. Think: More aggressive LSD. I've definitely had fewer accidental wheelspin moments while driving around. Long-term, I would definitely be following the much disputed service interval for the pump fluid if you use this programming *and* do any sort of track driving. Basic day to day driving with little need for the VAQ to do any work I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe just do it at the same time as your normal DSG service intervals.

As for the increased steering effort...possibly to counteract some of the "fighting" of the steering that can be induced like on any other FWD car with a more aggressive LSD setup? Think about it...if you have more assist, it's easier for the steering rack to be tossed around and felt by the driver. If you've driven a FWD car on sticky track tires with a LSD (Quaife type of clutch-plate type), you'd be familiar with this feeling.

gcjin2007

Hey all, just an update. I did this mod tonight too.

Definitely a different in the normal and sport mode. I like it!

when I break traction from a stop in sport mode the tires do much more of a high pitched squeal than a wheel hop.

I didnt notice such a big different in steering weight in my quick drive. Though I am not doubting what others are saying here with the heavy steering.

One this I did notice on one rough patch of road in 1st gear is a little hint of torque steer. Really nothing too bad, but something I was sensitive enough to detect (on crappy OEM Pirelli all season tires), I do like it as it feels a little more aggressive. perhaps this is why VW left this on the table from the factory?

Overall, I like it an do recommend it, the improvement in traction coming out of corners in unbelievable. Honestly I think VW could have charged like $1000 for this option and people would have checked the box. great thing this is free! beautiful easter egg :)

would like to hear more opinions and reviews

EDIT: I also did NOT notice any difference in any increased noise in the "increased traction" setting. has anyone noticed an increase in noise?

Last edited:

wave

Ready to race!
I don't mind the price, or the labor charge, but I can't find a shop in my area to install a diff. Anyone have any recommendations in SW FL? Thanks